Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #76 of 794
Quote:
what do they sound like? neutral, balanced, bassy? are they extended well on both ends? 

Quote:
Balanced, totally balanced. The soundstage is very good, with great range. Highs or lows, either is represented very well because of this.The mids are good, but not as crystal clear as much higher priced IEM's...but for the money, these are simply incredible. So worth the puny price, it's not funny. Try 'em out 
happy_face1.gif

could you or someone els explain whats the difference between neutral an balanced? 

and how are the mids of the R1? are they recessed compared to the lows and highs? 

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #77 of 794
Quote:

could you or someone els explain whats the difference between neutral an balanced? 

and how are the mids of the R1? are they recessed compared to the lows and highs? 

See this for explanations of terms: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

They mids aren't as full, but they aren't at all recessed. Where as the high's and low's are very sharp and detailed, the mids are a bit less so...that's the best I can explain it.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #78 of 794
Thanks for the review.I understand that the mids aren't recessed but not too forward also.How about the texture?And upper mid/lower treble?Female vocals sound good?

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #80 of 794
Quote:
Thanks for the review.I understand that the mids aren't recessed but not too forward also.How about the texture?And upper mid/lower treble?Female vocals sound good?

So far, the only female voices I've heard are Deloris O'Reidon(probably spelled her name wrong,lol)from the Cranberries, and she sounds just fine to me, not at all colored, perfectly natural. As I've stated several times already, everything in the high and low end sounds great, with great detailing. The mids arent bad, not at all, just not quite up to the rest of the sound signatures balance across the board. Maybe more burn in time will shore up the ids a bit more...only time will tell 
smile.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #84 of 794
Quote:

Yeah, I thought they were the same too. Balance is referring to tonal balance, I get that. I thought neutral means uncolored, as in a neutral frequency response or neutral presentation, which is to say balanced.
So, are they different?

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #85 of 794
Quote:
Yeah, I thought they were the same too. Balance is referring to tonal balance, I get that. I thought neutral means uncolored, as in a neutral frequency response or neutral presentation, which is to say balanced.
So, are they different?

I guess different people have different interpretations on the head-fi glossary. Generally, balanced means that the lows, the mids and the highs are in balance, for instance, that the mids aren't laid back or too forward in comparison to the bass and the treble. Neutral, on another hand, can describe the note presentation - for instance, an iem can be balanced and at the same time may be lush sounding or may have a thinner note presentation. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #86 of 794
How is the sibilance, and are there any moments where you would find the highs or lows fatiguing or distorting?

Also, give this a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZJknAHLmFg, does the soundstage excel in making it enjoyable or are the highs or lows too strong that it causes it so spoil itself?

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #87 of 794
dragon2knight - thanks for the detailed review of the R1s. 

I'm currently tossing up between the R1 and the M4 - one thing I'm looking for in my next pair of IEMs is some strong bass. How would the R1's bass presence compare to the M4? Anyone able to comment?

Any help in helping me make up my mind would be much appreciated!

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #89 of 794
Quote:
dragon2knight - thanks for the detailed review of the R1s. 

I'm currently tossing up between the R1 and the M4 - one thing I'm looking for in my next pair of IEMs is some strong bass. How would the R1's bass presence compare to the M4? Anyone able to comment?

Any help in helping me make up my mind would be much appreciated!

I don't think most of us have these yet. I have the M4 and I'm not really impressed by it at the moment. The JVC FX40, FXD70 and FXD80 run rings around it. Also, so does the FAD Adagio III.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back