Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #199 of 794
MP4Nation is definitely a safe seller. No question about that. I and many others have purchased things from there, and i have never heard anything bad about them.
Quote:
+1, luckily my friend is still not convinced that mp4nation is a safe seller so I haven't pay for the r1 yet

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #200 of 794
Well...for every person that reviews a pair of headphones,in ear or not, your going to get a different opinion on how it sounds. This will always be the case. Everyone hears things differently, and thats just a fact. What you,the person trying to figure out what something sounds like before you buy it, have to do is take it all in and hope that you at least get a general idea of how it sounds before you plunk down(or not)your hard earned cash. 
The best and only sure way of knowing how they sound for sure is to test them out in person yourself before you buy them...and almost no one has that opportunity unfortunately. It's even harder to test out IEM's...I live in NYC and can't find a place that will let me try them out first(but they have dozens of pairs of full size headphones for me to try out)..so,again, I say you have to weed out the reviews and hope its what your looking for, and then try them out for yourself and hope you found a match for yourself. Having low pieces makes this easier, and I have found myself that most if not all of the Brainwavz lineup have allowed me to find what I'm looking for without breaking the bank. As I've said so many times already, YMMV. Take these reviews with a grain of salt and decide for yourself in the end.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #201 of 794
One other note here, and it's a biggie:
I wish folks on here would take more time to understand that the terminology they are throwing out here is proper. For instance, I've heard the term "U" shaped twice already...and the R1's aren't at all that way. "U" shaped means that the highs and lows are dominant, with little or no mid range at all...and that's not an accurate description for these. The mids may not be perfect, but they are most certainly present and accounted for with the R1's. Get the terminology straight, please, before you use it, thanks.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #203 of 794
Quote:
I wish folks on here would take more time to understand that the terminology they are throwing out here is proper. For instance, I've heard the term "U" shaped twice already...and the R1's aren't at all that way. "U" shaped means that the highs and lows are dominant, with little or no mid range at all...and that's not an accurate description for these. The mids may not be perfect, but they are most certainly present and accounted for with the R1's. Get the terminology straight, please, before you use it, thanks.

All U (or V) really means is that the mids are receeded into the background (to some extent).  That is true of the R1.  Heck, I consider the PFE 232 V-shaped myself, the R1 are deeper than the PFEs...  Balanced refers to the same idea actually (according to |Joker|) where the IEM needs to boost lows and highs to match the response of the human ear.  This is a slight dip in the mids (a little less than the PFE IMO) though. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #204 of 794
Quote:

All U (or V) really means is that the mids are receeded into the background.  That is true of the R1.  Heck, I consider the PFE 232 V-shaped myself, the R1 are deeper than the PFEs...  Balanced refers to the same idea actually (according to |Joker|) where the IEM needs to boost lows and highs to match the response of the human ear.  This is a slight dip in the mids (a little less than the PFE IMO) though. 

Fair enough. I just read waaaaay too much on here where folks give a product a quick and fast label, like "U" or "V" shaped....and it sticks like glue to that product even if it isnt anything like it. It's the reason I don't do too many reviews on here, I dont wan't to make the mistake of labeling something, it's kinda annoying really. Folks should just take the time to explain, in detail, what they are hearing, it's the only way to stop labeling from happening.
As for the R1's, I find the mids to be there, just not as detailed as they could be, but the end result, to me, is that they approach being more balanced than recessed, and that's my take on it. I'm not saying your take is wrong, just different than what I hear. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #205 of 794
Quote:
I too have jumped on the R1 bandwagon. Looking forward to giving these a shot and comparing them to my lowly but lovely Sennheiser CX150s. 

And a bandwagon it sure is. When these score 8 or higher out of 10 for $35 I'll be impressed 
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #207 of 794
Quote:
Fair enough. I just read waaaaay too much on here where folks give a product a quick and fast label, like "U" or "V" shaped....and it sticks like glue to that product even if it isnt anything like it. It's the reason I don't do too many reviews on here, I dont wan't to make the mistake of labeling something, it's kinda annoying really. Folks should just take the time to explain, in detail, what they are hearing, it's the only way to stop labeling from happening.
As for the R1's, I find the mids to be there, just not as detailed as they could be, but the end result, to me, is that they approach being more balanced than recessed, and that's my take on it. I'm not saying your take is wrong, just different than what I hear. 

I recall you totally labeling these as something, hmm... let me find it.

Balanced, totally balanced. The soundstage is very good, with great range. Highs or lows, either is represented very well because of this.The mids are good, but not as crystal clear as much higher priced IEM's...but for the money, these are simply incredible. So worth the puny price, it's not funny. Try 'em out 
happy_face1.gif

"Balanced", seems to be the label.
I don't have a problem with people labeling earphones as long as the description fits the actual sound. I know you've been around the mp4nation forum for a long time and I trust your opinion; I think your labeling of the R1 as being balanced to be a public service to those who want to know the signature.
But you're also right when you say people should pay a little more attention to detailed reviews.

I guess I'll find out when I get them. Looking forward to them!

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #208 of 794
Quote:
I recall you totally labeling these as something, hmm... let me find it.

"Balanced", seems to be the label.
I don't have a problem with people labeling earphones as long as the description fits the actual sound. I know you've been around the mp4nation forum for a long time and I trust your opinion; I think your labeling of the R1 as being balanced to be a public service to those who want to know the signature.
But you're also right when you say people should pay a little more attention to detailed reviews.

I guess I'll find out when I get them. Looking forward to them!

Hahaha, I never said I was immune to the labeling...thats why I hate doing these reviews. It really is hard not to put some sort of label when describing headphones and how they sound. If I wasnt so lazy with that answer,though, i could have described it better. Like this:
"The sound is smooth, like a nice breeze on a summers day, not too hot,not too cold, just right" or something like that,lol. It takes a lot of effort to do this(especially when commenting from my cell phone...),but it is so worth it if done right.

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #210 of 794
Quote:

Well, YMMV, but for me, the mids aren't non-existent, but they feel like they're positioned a step behind the bass and treble. I do think U-shaped is a pretty accurate way to describe it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back