Brainwavz R1 Review
Oct 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #181 of 794
FedEx is showing mine "IN TRANSIT". Should be here Monday, should be a good way to start the week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #182 of 794
Hi, this is my first post ever. 
etysmile.gif
 I asked my friend to order me a pair, we ordered since Saturday I think? But he told me earlier today that ours aren't yet shipped 
confused.gif
. I hope to get my pair soon.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #183 of 794
Quote:

Fiio E11 with Bass set to +1 paired with E30 sounds really good. I've had it paired to an iPhone 4 with an LOD cable and it sounded noticeably fuller, clearer, enveloping than the headphone jack. The amp makes you "fall in" the music more. I would say it's like 20% increase in sound quality compared to headphone jack.

I really love the E30's sound signature. Something about it's tonal quality is very natural, and laid back. This is the kind of signature I like, but with more bass impact since I listen to mostly electronic music. I think the E30 has a wide soundstage but the depth isn't so great. If the R1 soundstage is as good as E30 in width, but improve on depth, it would be ideal. Personally, I want the width to be even wider... I've heard the IE8 before and it's crazy wide.

Well, that's if the R1 has a simliar signature to E30. Who knows, maybe it could be a lot different. I also have the Brainwavz M1, and I don't like it as much as the E30, even though they are both rated 7.0 in joker's multi iem thread.. I think E30 is a class above than the M1. Personal preferences I guess.. I'm hoping the R1 doesn't sound like the M1.

I have just jumped on the bandwagon, placed an order for R1. I love my E30 and M1. I do find E30's highs rather subdued ...when compared with M1. M1 has better highs and mids. However E30 has better bass than M1, so to me each has their own niche and provide different taste in sound. But if I really gotta choose, I prefer M1.

Now I am excited about how R1 will sound. Like lifebot, I would like the idea of wider soundstage with improvement on depth!

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #184 of 794
Hi there,

This is also my first post. My friend here at work recommended this site. I have been searching for days for a low cost in ear head phone.
I stumbled on the thread. With all of the interest and the review of this device, I have decided to order one. The shipping is free via fedex so I thought why not!

I am eagerly awaiting my order. I will ensure I post my experience with these.

I know everyone hates bose, but I have the QC15 for desk use. I know there has been a lot of rants about to much cost and not enough quality. Either way, they are my first real  swaray into becoming an Audiophile.

Anyway, Hello all!! Loving the site :)

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #185 of 794
I too have jumped on the R1 bandwagon. Looking forward to giving these a shot and comparing them to my lowly but lovely Sennheiser CX150s. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #187 of 794
Me too.. Expected Time of Arrival 22nd October before 8 PM

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #189 of 794
Mine have just arrived this morning via Fedex :) Will give them some listening to before I post any thoughts!

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #191 of 794
Can anyone speak for its build quality? I like the sound quality of Brainwavz IEMs but I've had two just go completely bad on me and one that's sitting in its box.

Is it completely plastic? Any driver flex? Etc. I was thinking about picking one up just for fun though I still want it to last me a few years.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #192 of 794
Haven't had the chance to burn these in yet, but I've been giving them some playtime right out of my MacBook Pro, with a mixture of 160, 192, 256, 320 and ALAC files. 

The R1 is my first pair of dual-dynamics, and only my third dynamic (I had a JVC Marshmallow, and a pair of ASG-1 first ver which I've sold due to its cumbersome fit). 

I'm currently using the Complys supplied with these, I don't quite like the fit of the bi-flanges, might dig up some VSonic hybrid-like tips and see how they fit on these, or even the UE silicones. 

For the price, I'd have to say they are pretty good. The soundstage is wide, which I guess is what you'd expect from dynamics, and the bass is pretty thumping. I listen to a lot of piano music, and I do love how it plays Ben Folds' live performances. However, I am a bit of a mids lover, and this is where I feel the R1's weakness is. The bass is strong without bleeding, the treble is relatively smooth, but the R1s do have what I'd describe as a U-shaped signature. 

As these would be used mainly for the gym, I have no real complaints. It's a good deal for the price, especially with all the accessories provided - the carrying case can easily fit two IEMs (I've tried putting both the R1s and the UE600s in there, with a spare pair of tips too. 

That being said, I haven't had much experience with IEMs, but I'm pretty happy with these nevertheless, with the free Fedex shipping and all :) 

edit: 
On the build quality, it seems like molded plastic earpieces to me, and they are pretty solid, but the wires connecting the earpieces to the y-split are a little thin for my taste - even thinner than the UE600, although the main wire is solid and very soft. They're pretty comfortable to wear over ear, and the cable is soft enough not to tangle too easily.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #193 of 794
Quote:
There seems to be a lot of people eagerly awaiting the R1, good news is that all R1 orders have shipped out, some orders still need updating with tracking but that should be completed later today. The first Fedex shipments left yesterday, with the bulk having left today, most people with Fedex should get their R1 sometime between today and Tuesday.

Apart from enjoying the earphones i hope people also like the new carrying case we made.

Mine are scheduled to arrive monday. P[size=small]syched![/size] \o/

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #195 of 794
Quote:
Can anyone speak for its build quality? I like the sound quality of Brainwavz IEMs but I've had two just go completely bad on me and one that's sitting in its box.

Is it completely plastic? Any driver flex? Etc. I was thinking about picking one up just for fun though I still want it to last me a few years.

Build quality is good, not great, for the price. It is all plastic, but its a decent quality plastic. Theres good stress/strain relief on all of the wires, and they dont seem to get tangled up too easily, at least for me. I dont notice any driver flex...but then I hardly ever notice it on any of my IEM's, just not sensitive to it I guess. As for lasting a few years....thats up to you. If you take care of them, they should last a long time. The included case should help that along, and its at least big enough to use it for other hauling duties, like fitting a clip+ in there or a spare phone battery or two...just a suggestion. I have been abusing the crap out of the poor examples I have because I'm testing them out, and so far they have taken all I have dished out. This includes: tossing in a gym bag, work bag, throwing them on my desk several times a day, shoving them in my pocket with my keys...I'm showing no mercy here 
wink.gif
 ....  and they are surviving just fine. YMMV of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back