Brainwavz M3 Review
Nov 11, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #31 of 92

Quote:

would you concur with Mark's review regarding the differences between the M2 and M3? In a nutshell it sounds like the M3 is like the offspring of an M2 and RE-0 
ksc75smile.gif

I've never heard the RE0, but I've heard the M1, M2 and M3. The M3 has a much larger soundstage than the M2; it is more balanced, and imaging is much better. There is still a lot of bass, but it is much tighter and cleaner.

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #32 of 92
It's not quite as simple as an interbreeding of M2 and RE-0 characteristics.

Both the M2 and RE-0 have more assertive trebles than the M3, the M2 has excess bass which spreads over the mids and the RE-0 is light on bass whereas the M3 has a good healthy bass that sounds fairly much natural, but is absolutely there for the fun when the recording calls for it. Detail and texture are more evident with RE-0s in the way that is flattering but a bit hyper-real, artificial, whereas the M3 is less obvious, but you can often hear a lot of detail, and in a more naturalistic way - they're not especially un-detailed or un-textured, just not pushy about it. M2 presents everything very in your ear, the M3 much less so. Imaging is not fantastically sharp on the M3, but doesn't do anything odd - it's OK, RE-0 is a bit better at imaging, perhaps a smaller , and the extra treble in the RE-0s give a little sense of air which is not particularly apparent on the M3.

What the M2 does really well is give a forward, energetic, really fun presentation of electronic music. The RE-0 feel analytical, hyper-real and a bit bright and cold - both for better and worse. The M3 do everything pretty well - you'd probably find other earphones that do any one thing better, but they really don't mess anything up, and are quite capable of delivering goose-bumpy musical goodness, particularly with reasonable gear upstream.

Quote:

would you concur with Mark's review regarding the differences between the M2 and M3? In a nutshell it sounds like the M3 is like the offspring of an M2 and RE-0 
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #33 of 92
lecky said "...goose-bumpy musical goodness..."

Now that's what I'm talking about!

I'm going to get me some of that in just a few minutes... here at work. I'm pretty sure I'll need to amp my M3s to get it though...
ksc75smile.gif

Happy Friday, Y'all!

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #34 of 92
Are these any good for rap/hip hop as compared with klipsch image s4.
how is the built quality?     

thanks..              

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #37 of 92
ADDIEM usually get reviews around 3-3.5/5 (eg inearmatters by ClieOS). Now even the M2 has more than that (~3.7), and the M3 are considerably better. It seems there is no real comparison.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #38 of 92
any more word on the M3 vs the Xcape? the pre-order price ends tomorrow so it'd be nice to know how these two similarly priced IEMs compare.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #39 of 92

Quote:
Are these any good for rap/hip hop as compared with klipsch image s4.
how is the built quality?     

thanks..              

They are very sturdily built and are great for rap/hip-hop! They aren't as bright as my S4s but you won't miss the brightness at all with these. Trebles are smoother with the M3, and the low mids and basses are tight and deep. These phones have a great stage and I like the imaging of the mids better with the M3 v S4. I haven't had any "listener fatigue" with these yet, and I listen to them daily now. The only genre I wouldn't recommend them for necessarily would be string music, but I seldom listen to violin concertos. I do have an appreciation for Tchaikovsky, but it's the 1812 Overture and it booms!

If you have the $$, they are worth every penny.

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #40 of 92
Hi y'all.  I am a newbie to the head-fi forum, but not a new to audio equipment.  I was given a demo pair of M3's to review.  My review is posted on mp3nation: http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=20433    

Since the review is posted on mp4nation, I did spend a substantial amount of time comparing the m3's to the m2's--since most people reading reviews on mp4nation are interested in whether the m3's are worth the extra $20 over the m3's.  The answer to that question is:  it depends.  If you listen to hip hop, rap, techno and dance, you might enjoy the heavier bass bias in the m2's.  I personally prefer the more subtle bass tones in the m3's, but many consumers want to feel their eardrums pound--if that's you, the m2's will suit you just fine.  If you like classical, acoustic, jazz and prefer high bit rate lossless formats, you will appreciate the improvements made in the m3's. I actually think the m3's are about 80-90% as good as my Etymotic ER-4's, for less than a third of the price. 

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #42 of 92
I compared my M2s (yes M2) with my friends Sennheiser IE8 (definitely genuine; he bought them from Sennheiser directly) a few days ago. I found them to sound rather bland, unlively and boring. Much more balanced than M2, yes, but I want to enjoy my music, not analyse it. I didn't believe my ears as I expected them to be A LOT better than M2. I listened them on my M6 TS with flat EQ, everything turned off except Spatializer (PCE level3), but I compared them without Spatializer  as well. Maybe I prefered M2 because of lower impedance, but even when I turned on the volume on IE8, they didn't impress me much. Bass was more interesting on M2, although IE8's bass knob was turned to max. 
I guess that this is due to the silicone tips my friend had on his IE8 not perfectly fitting my ears (it were those tiny bi-flanges). I'll try them again with other tips, maybe they just require a good seal to show their strengths. 

So yeah, I guess the M3s must be awesome, considering I'm already really amazed by the M2s.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #43 of 92

Quote:
I compared my M2s (yes M2) with my friends Sennheiser IE8 (definitely genuine; he bought them from Sennheiser directly) a few days ago. I found them to sound rather bland, unlively and boring. Much more balanced than M2, yes, but I want to enjoy my music, not analyse it. I didn't believe my ears as I expected them to be A LOT better than M2. I listened them on my M6 TS with flat EQ, everything turned off except Spatializer (PCE level3), but I compared them without Spatializer  as well. Maybe I prefered M2 because of lower impedance, but even when I turned on the volume on IE8, they didn't impress me much. Bass was more interesting on M2, although IE8's bass knob was turned to max. 
I guess that this is due to the silicone tips my friend had on his IE8 not perfectly fitting my ears (it were those tiny bi-flanges). I'll try them again with other tips, maybe they just require a good seal to show their strengths. 

So yeah, I guess the M3s must be awesome, considering I'm already really amazed by the M2s.

Yeah give them another listen.  It sounds like you are saying the IE8 sounds like a Sennheiser.  
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #44 of 92
Sounds like good stuff. A marriage between M1 and M2's bass is mouthwatering, and the M2 already pushes all the right buttons for great fun sound.

Does the M3 have more treble sparkle than the M2? That's the probably the only area I feel the M2 lacks a bit. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #45 of 92
My brainwaves m2 (visang actually but they are the same) the cable on them was horrible, it cracks after awhile from your skins oils, well on mine anyways. These use the same cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back