Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Apr 30, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,231 of 1,463
For some reason the exterior of my B400's are quite 'sticky'. I've tried carefully applying a damp towel on more than one occasion, but for some reason it just seems to make it even stickier. It seems something with the paint used, and as if it's wearing off. Possibly due to being a pre-production demo unit that was sent out just before the final version.

Overall I find the sound of the B400's rich, vivid and velvety, but a bit more laid back than my usual preference; lacking or at least giving the impression of lacking in frequency extension on both sides, and dynamics. After owning these for quite a while I find myself reaching for the Advanced M4 ($40) when it comes to electronic or pop music for spot-on dynamics / 'punch' (harder hitting drums), TFZ Exclusive 1 ($45) when I want detail, speed and great instrument separation, or the RHA T20 (non-mic version) ($192) for a sound that's very pleasing: moderately laid back as well but more 'crisp', and well textured, giving a very pleasing presentation with the likes of ambient or atmospheric noise. As for the B400's, I tend to use them only for occasional rock or otherwise brightly mastered rhythmic music... unfortunately almost never getting any of my time due to the fact that I only use IEMs on the move - but for some reason the B400's for me never seem to get a 'bass seal' in a bus or airplane as they do at home.

For now, I actually enjoy bringing 4 pairs of IEMs along for long trips, so I have a choice of sound signatures for different recordings, or for a better seal according to ambient air pressure.

As always, the above is IMO, but based on considerable experience

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,232 of 1,463
I have consulted with Brainwavz and they tell me that they do not guarantee any Tips for the B400.
The 200 series look to be this correct ID to fit the B400. Regardless of what Brainwavz says. The Comply basically go from smallest to largest ID as you go from the 100 to 200, to 300 to 400 series.... Clearly the T100's that BRAINWAVZ actually included with the B400's are too small.

HTB1A31iNFXXXXaYXXXXq6xXFXXXM.jpg

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #1,234 of 1,463
Man, I've never had such a hard time getting a perfect seal before!

Shure, Westone, and narrow SpinFits are too small, can't fit them on.

For the record, Shure Olives need a surprisingly small amount of gentle "persuasion" - and they fit perfectly. They are all I use with the B400. Perfect for me with a shallow fitting IEM.

From my review:

9935610_l.jpg

9935609_l.jpg

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,235 of 1,463
For the record, Shure Olives need a surprisingly small amount of gentle "persuasion" - and they fit perfectly. They are all I use with the B400. Perfect for me with a shallow fitting IEM.

Good to know. I always skip foam eartips for some reason. Do they take the treble down?

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,236 of 1,463
Not as much as Comply, and in some cases its the opposite. They have an outer coating and foam inner, so much more hard wearing too.

Perceived treble differences will depend on:
- bass enhancement (through better seal)
- anatomy (your own canal)

In some cases, it can actually accentuate the treble slightly (with my Curves they raise the 7kHz up by about 3-4 dB)

May 1, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #1,237 of 1,463
I thought Shure olives are a blast from the past, as in a no longer in production product. Or was it just that Shure has a newer model which aren't as good so you have to be careful to get the older style and not just "Shure foam ear tips" and potentially buy the wrong thing.

May 1, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #1,238 of 1,463
May 1, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #1,239 of 1,463
CactusPete23
And I thank you for your advice and your interest but I only intend to find alternatives to Comply, foam tips valid for the B400.
Thanks and do not bother.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #1,240 of 1,463
Finally sold my B400s, not because of its sonic but because of the fit. With numerous tips (medium size stock silicon, comply, medium size final audio tips come with the E3000s, medium size grey colored sony tips) the B400s sit snugly into my ears and offer superb noise isolation, but the sound quality is not optimal. In these cases, the air vents on the inner side of the earphone housings are blocked, causing slight congestion of the sound. With large size tips such as the large stock silicons, the vents aren't block and the sound is clear and crisp. However, the housings rub against my outer ears and it causes discomfort.

Just receive a pair of Noble Audio Savanna, sonically I don't find them to be superior to the B400s (with free vents) but at least they fit my ears without an issue. I love the B400s but I simply cannot get the point of opening air vents on the inner side of the housings. That just doesn't make any sense.

May 8, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,243 of 1,463
Finally pulled the trigger on the b400. They are arriving this Wednesday. Hope the bass is not low compared to the vsonic gr07

The VSONIC GR07 2017 Bass Edition + an amp like Dragonfly Red has really good bass. Even without an amp, I'd say the bass is very noticeable. Did you get the classic edition?

May 10, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,245 of 1,463
For anyone interested in different tips to try out. I got some "Memory Foam" Tips from Aliexpress in size T200. (3 pair for under $1.50) They feel and work great. Difficult to tell from Comply Ones... The T200 size has 4mm ID that slides on easily, and makes a good seal for bass. (Note: The Comply T100's that came with the B400's were so difficult to press on, that I stopped because thought I was going to break the B400's trying...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back