Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Sep 21, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #76 of 1,463
@jant71 @Brooko I think you made @ByDesign day when he read your comments on the ergonomic fit. 3D printing has really lifted a lot of constraints on design, we've got a lot of good things planned in terms of ergonomic design coming up :)

No info yet.

Raz, is it too early to talk about price bracket and timing?

I am gunning for a early October release, but we are waiting on a few components to arrive before we can start the full assembly of the first batch. Pricing has not been finalized, but needless to say, it is a child of Brainwavz, so it will be very competitively priced.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #77 of 1,463
The Simgot EN700 Pro is not an open back IEM. It's closed. Are you sure you tried them? You may be thinking about something else.
Yes I tried those multiple times, the one shown below. I assumed by the appearance this is an open IEM, are they not? Maybe my isolation issue with those had more to do with fit or tips used.
Image1.jpg

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #78 of 1,463
Hey Levi - yep, they are closed, it’s just a pattern on the back. They are a vented dynamic, so won’t isolate as well as the likes of the B400 does.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #80 of 1,463
Definitely not expert - just a passionate hobbyist :)

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #81 of 1,463
B400 showed up today. Gave them a quick listen and have to agree with the comments so far. They're quite nice.

- 3D printed housings feel very durable and are quite ergonomic. There's a rawness to the texture that gives them a unique feel.
- The two cables that were sent with it are not the stock options, but they're darn nice. Flexible and well built with low memory. The Frosty Silver's memory wire portion will not be a con either as it holds the shape you set it to. Memory wire done right! Candy Cane / Frosty Silver
- In terms of sound they're quite full bodied and balanced with a very spacious presentation. On Michael's Jackson's "Human Nature" when the background vocals say "Why? Why?", they sweep side to side in the background. The fluidity with which this happens is unsettlingly smooth. Offhand, I can't think of any other earphone that's given me this sensation.

Looking forward to spending more time with these.

20170921_184145.jpg 20170921_184157.jpg
Can just barely see the two inner filters in the left pic.​

Attachments

• 20170921_184006.jpg
    20170921_184006.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #82 of 1,463
The B400 are a great example of why you do multiple drivers and against the Ety myth that you need only one armature(esp. for non-monitor personal music listening). YOU CANNOT LAYER AND PLACE THINGS IN FRONT AND BEHIND IN THIS FASHION WITH ONE ARMATURE DRIVER :) You can get clarity, detail, and separation but not put together a presentation like the B400. B2 also doesn't do this. You can fill in a B2 or ETY with the right amp and source and get a great sounding set-up but they still won't pull off what the B400 is trying to do and what makes the B400 worth it :wink:. All the technical ability and filling that in with more weight/texture and some character, uniqueness in the presentation yet the familiar Knowles sound that the others like the Ety and B2 possess at heart. What quite a few earphones have, in the past, tried to do but not quite so well the B400 does right. TF10 comes to mind as a precursor that tried but the B400 get it right in a way the UE never did as a straight out of the box product.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #84 of 1,463
The B400 look really good, I hope I get to listen to a pair at some point :D

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #86 of 1,463
B400 showed up today. Gave them a quick listen and have to agree with the comments so far. They're quite nice.

- 3D printed housings feel very durable and are quite ergonomic. There's a rawness to the texture that gives them a unique feel.
- The two cables that were sent with it are not the stock options, but they're darn nice. Flexible and well built with low memory. The Frosty Silver's memory wire portion will not be a con either as it holds the shape you set it to. Memory wire done right! Candy Cane / Frosty Silver
- In terms of sound they're quite full bodied and balanced with a very spacious presentation. On Michael's Jackson's "Human Nature" when the background vocals say "Why? Why?", they sweep side to side in the background. The fluidity with which this happens is unsettlingly smooth. Offhand, I can't think of any other earphone that's given me this sensation.

Looking forward to spending more time with these.

Can just barely see the two inner filters in the left pic.​

Nice pics :)

Just to head off any confusion, due to the differences in how the brand is printed and material variance between the frosty and colored versions, the colored housings will have a small air hole on them which the frosty do not have one them, needless to say the sound is same on all versions of the B400.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #88 of 1,463
OK @Brooko we're gonna need to see a doctor's note if you are to delay any longer in your review of the B400, LOL :grin:
So either you're basking in the greatness of the B400, or trying to find a subtle way to admit one of the former is doing you better? Anyway I'll look forward to your review, and if possible FR graphs and impressions against the Simgot thanks

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #89 of 1,463
I’m embargoed on the Simgot for about another week, and the B400 still need some vital info from Raz (eg price etc) before being able to write the review :wink:

Can try and post a graph later tonight though

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #90 of 1,463
Ok here is the graph.

Usual disclaimers:
The graph below is generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else's, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response - especially if you've followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I used the included foam tips (so medium bore) - and the reason I use foam instead of silicone is for the very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements - and output is under 1 ohm.

channel.png

Things to note
  1. Incredibly good channel matching - this is about as good as it gets folks. I had to check a few times to see if I'd measured the same earpiece by mistake!
  2. Nice mid-bass hump and good sub bass extension (they have a decent amount of thump)
  3. Bass matches natural peak in the upper-mids
  4. Really good treble extension

Users who are viewing this thread

Back