Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #62 of 1,463
Hello All,
It's been much too long since I have posted an update. But to make up for my absence, I have some juicy images that I need your collective feedback on.
As mention before we at Brainwavz have been busy re-designing the B300 & B400 housing and now I have images of the colour study for the new design.
Please feel free to post your thoughts on the colours. As well any colours you would like to see.

Thanks in Advance :beyersmile:

What a beauty! It looks very comfortable to wear and fit nicely :D

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #63 of 1,463
^Maybe you can edit your post and delete that quote as to not confuse people since they don't look like that anymore. That is older metal and the older color shades. Cable memory portion/connectors are different as well.
9997786_thumb.jpg

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #64 of 1,463
Any news on B300 and B400? (Release dates, price etc.)

We will be announcing release date and pricing for the B400 a little closer to the end of September. The B300 is currently on the back burner and may/may not be released, if we do it may just be a limited run production and will be released around Christmas 2017.

What a beauty! It looks very comfortable to wear and fit nicely :D

^Maybe you can edit your post and delete that quote as to not confuse people since they don't look like that anymore. That is older metal and the older color shades. Cable memory portion/connectors are different as well.
9997786_thumb.jpg

Indeed. We will be going through and cleaning up this thread shortly.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #66 of 1,463
I have a real life quick pic of the frosty...
upload_2017-9-15_8-13-40.png

Nice texture on the Frosty housings and for me a great fit that is comfy and secure.

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #67 of 1,463
I have a real life quick pic of the frosty...
Nice texture on the Frosty housings and for me a great fit that is comfy and secure.

Thanks for the Pic. I can feel the coolness coming off it :). In regards to the fit and comfort that was a big focus when our design team began this project and we're very pleased that you like it.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #68 of 1,463
I have listened to them as well some over the weekend. Had the B150 and B200 and feel that they were a bit underwhelming in this market and the price drop on them was smart. The B400 is just head and shoulders ahead in all aspects. Fit, sound, housing, replaceable cables.

First I look inside the bore and back a bit I can see the sound is allowed to mix in the front part of the housing before the bore. Two ports one with a green 1500 damper and one with the white 680. Correct me, I suspect the 1500 is from the higher freq. drivers and the 680 from the lower freq. drivers.

Not trying to be all over the place listened so far just with one source(Cowon M2) and no amping yet. A couple of tip changes/try outs but that is it. I also do not have the stock cable. Only got mine with the upgrade cable as you can see in the pic above. Stock cable should be black.

The sound is excellent. Does seem to build on the lower B's at being well tuned for even reach and even proportion in stage and a smooth sound. I hear them as a consumer sound. Some multi-drivers do V shape or they do monitor. Here the B400 have a good balance and consumer-ish sound that is blended and integrated. Bigger than the other B's in stage and more consumer and less monitor by having all sound elements nearly touching or overlapping in a natural/organic way. Haven't amped yet but a monitor will separate out and perhaps show a nice black background in between things. B400 shows no background to me. Separation is wonderful and the notes can be sharp and quite distinct but I can't see past anything to a black background w/o any manipulation with WIDE effect or other sound "enhancing". Things are just filled in and they are not like a UM3X where the stage is small or more intimate. They still do far away and in close to tickle the ear when things in the recording call for it. The large size stage is just filled with everything close to touching and many things overlapping in front and back of each other in a very convincing and natural 3D effect which is very different than being thinner sounding and spaced out where too much starts to get artificial. These remind me of the old Earsonics SM3 but better tuned and more resolution and bass is reigned in and controlled much better w/o amping.

I would think that these do start with everything you could want and a great balance. They aren't too bassy or slanted in one direction or the other. If one likes neutral and brighter and the B2 sound they can take it that way if they are using that sounding type of gear and get a B2 upgrade with more there including more texture and more weight.They have the sharpness of note and even the quickness. Or keeping them with warmth can give a lusher approach and keep them more like a solid wall of organically congealed sound that is not compromised in ability.

I also will mention that I like wider bore tips than stock which make the sound larger and more grand. I also like glossy or slick/sealed silicone more than the generic black type silicone tips to give them the cleanest bass and most focused/sharpest edge on the notes.

First few hour impression for what it is worth but these should be a real winner!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #69 of 1,463
Mine just arrived. Only had 10 minutes so far - and really need to complete another couple of projects first, but already I can say:
  • Cable and overall build quality seems great. Cables really flexible and seem good quality.
  • Fit is phenomenal. Good call on going to the 3D printing option Brainwavz, and really good call on form and comfort over something that "looks prettier"
  • Sound - lets just say crystal clear, good balance, really interested to put these on the rig later today to get a comparative measurement.
Welcome to higher end sonics Brainwavz. Always knew you could do it. These are very, very good.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #70 of 1,463
@Brooko congrats - so did you receive a demo review unit, or are these babes' out yet? As mentioned earlier I actually was graced with the chance to receive a demo unit of the B300 from Brainvavz earlier this year... after hitting it off quite well with their staff at CanJam and recommending their products to a few members there, I was given a few days of fine in-ear refinement with their B300... but only a few days because I was too ashamed until now to admit to anyone besides them that I lost the demo unit on the plane overseas and couldn't find it again.

My time with the B400 was a super-brief comparison with an unfinished prototype, but from what I'm hearing on this thread I'm still interested in the B400 sometime, maybe it can be even better than the B300 which may / not be released. That is, even though I just finished a full 2-3 days trying hundreds of IEMs at several major earphone shops in Japan. I heard some that surpassed it, but only the super expensive IEMs like Ultimate Ear's top offerings, and a few that sounded better a around the same price, but with issues with either fit or isolation.

My favorite budget / mid price IEM now is the TFZ Exclusive 1. This little IEM at only around $50 has the performance of the HD-650 but with much better top-end detail / extension especially with a balanced silver cable, and knocked out cold every other sub-$200 IEM I tried from all brands you have / haven't heard of from A-Z, with amazing impact, detail, extension and what could be perfect tonality! Someday I may compare them to the B400.

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #71 of 1,463
Raz contacted me late last week, and they turned up today. I only got 1/2 an hour with them - and then its been back to the UM ME1 and Simgot EN700 Pro (both which need to have reviews completed pretty soon). I'm really interested to measure the B400 though. They seem to be a bit V shaped, but in a good way. Fit is superb. I really liked the brief listen I had.

I haven't heard the TFZ Ex1, but that's a pretty high endorsement. Have you heard the Pinnacle P1, LZ-A4, Dunu Titan 5 or FiiO F9? I would consider all of them class leaders at sub-200.

I'm probably the wrong person to be talking about silver cables or balanced. There have been no differences (measurable or perceived) in my tests. Balanced is good for headphones requiring more voltage swing or a higher power output - but apart from that ....

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #72 of 1,463
Those 4 you mentioned look interesting. I haven't tried those, but I did try the entire Dunu line several times besides their Titan 5, and to me the TFZ Exclusive 1 had the upper hand in bass heft, dynamics and overall frequency balance. Actually I tried the Simgot EN700 Pro a few times and while I love this one quite a bit and think it sounds better than any mentioned on this whole page - for me they're not doable due to low isolation, being an open-back IEM. For me I'm strictly a full-size headphone listener for possible better performance with large rigs, and use IEMs only for on the go where the isolation and portability are needed.

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #73 of 1,463
The Simgot EN700 Pro is not an open back IEM. It's closed. Are you sure you tried them? You may be thinking about something else.

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #74 of 1,463
Mine just arrived. Only had 10 minutes so far - and really need to complete another couple of projects first, but already I can say:
  • Cable and overall build quality seems great. Cables really flexible and seem good quality.
  • Fit is phenomenal. Good call on going to the 3D printing option Brainwavz, and really good call on form and comfort over something that "looks prettier"
  • Sound - lets just say crystal clear, good balance, really interested to put these on the rig later today to get a comparative measurement.
Welcome to higher end sonics Brainwavz. Always knew you could do it. These are very, very good.
Have any idea when it will be available in the market and how much a price tag company decided for it ,?

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #75 of 1,463
No info yet.

Raz, is it too early to talk about price bracket and timing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back