Bragi Dash Pro
May 28, 2017 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

slankoe

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Just wanted to share that a new product has just come out from Bragi the maker of the (first?) truly wireless headset on the market, and it claims to fix all the problems that were in the original Dash.

Would like to be promoting these guys because I believe they want to make the best and most cutting edge product possible. So may the reader be aware, this post is infused with my bias.

"The Dash Pro contains more than 150 micro-components, a 32-bit Processor, artificial intelligence powered by Dash AI, and 27 sensors, all in a package about the size of your fingertip."

Features that catch my attention are improved sound quality, better bluetooth, lower noise floor, more ergonomic touch controls, and the custom version which has a different tuning with a Knowles BA driver (I think the universal may have a different dynamic driver more similar to the first Dash). Also should have a better battery life (5 hours is quoted where the original is 4 hours, and is only slightly shorter life if playing music loud like 3hr40mins).

Costs 329 USD
Custom is 499 USD

Features kept from the original Dash are,
Better sound quality
The case can charge the earbuds five times (same as previous, but the charge is improved from 4 to 5 hours, which may not be as much as some people need, but charging on the go should be enough for most people as the original Dash fully charged in about half an hour)

Active NC
Waterproof
Heart-through mode
Exercise features including step counter and heart rate monitor
The best touch controls on any of the other wireless buds I've encountered, also touchlock so you don't accidentally trigger volume or next track while swimming with Yanni's Greatest Hits caressing your eardrums
and pretty much every other feature from the previous version

Since the custom costs 700 dollars here in Canada, I'd definitely try the universal fit first before stepping up. That's steep! I think it was 450 CAD retail for the original. I'm getting ready to sell my current pair for sure.

I am pretty excited to see if this Bragi brings all of these promises to fruition. I know why Bragi is not known on this forum, they haven't gotten good reviews for sound quality, I personally find the lower treble to get "peaky" sometimes. It also isn't known for good bluetooth connection, and this was it's greatest weakness. Indoors was fine but outside the wind would break the signal frequently. These are the main reasons Bragi was almost awesome, but not a real hit - it wasn't the best in any category, and the bluetooth connection was not strong enough outdoors or too much interference between the right earbud and the music source.

On the plus side though noise cancelling and isolation is good, hear-through mode is decent but still artificial sounding, little to no hiss than many competitors, but nowhere near Bose-level noise reduction. Basses from outside the HP can still get into your ear, that's hard to get rid of. So the new Pro with custom fit option in combination with ANC should provide excellent noise reduction by my estimate.

Tailor video:

If the new Bragi Dash Pro can overcome these problems from the original, it might be the best product on the market for a long time yet.

If it can't, then these look like a viable competition. That battery life, 16 hours of streaming!

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 5
Press releases had some cryptic mention of new codec "Audio quality has been bumped up with a new advanced audio codec with reduced white noise" but AFAIK Dash and Headphone both only support SBC. Sadly Bragi claims AptX makes no difference (which is true, for low quality headphones!).

These look interesting and built-in player sounds very cool. However, it doesn't appear possible to control the player via Bragi app. That's a shame. 4GB of storage is enough for a lot of songs and I would like to have more options than just "play all" and 4 built-in playlists.

I'll be waiting for reviews. This might be an interesting earphone to have.

May 29, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 5
On the original how it works is you make playlists and use the touch controls to navigate which playlist you want to hear. It is slightly clumsy but not badly implemented. I have no problem selecting playlist, advancing tracks, etc from the Dash touch control.

The point is you can leave your phone at the changing room but still have your music at the gym I guess.

I hope they make the on board music navigation less limited for sure. maybe someone can Rockbox it

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 5
After some digging I found this on their website:

"A2DP profile, AAC and SBS audio codec".

I assume they mean SBC (never heard of SBS).

Well, that's disappointing. Not quite sure how they are planning to achieve "groundbreaking audio in HD" with SBC. Should be OK if you have an iPhone and can stream AAC but I mostly play music from my computer.

Still tempted because the builtin player sounds cool but at $330 they couldn't shell few $ for licensing fees for AptX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back