Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,066 of 2,202
Seriously? What didn't you like about the sound quality?

Bass is a bit bloated, not as tight as I'd like, mids are quite dull. They've a great set of features that makes them excellent for travelling I'm sure but since I primarily use them to drown out the noise of the office they're just not that great. I'm hoping the sound will open up after a while otherwise I'm going to have to return them and see if the Momentums are any better for my use case.

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,067 of 2,202
Bass is a bit bloated, not as tight as I'd like, mids are quite dull. They've a great set of features that makes them excellent for travelling I'm sure but since I primarily use them to drown out the noise of the office they're just not that great. I'm hoping the sound will open up after a while otherwise I'm going to have to return them and see if the Momentums are any better for my use case.

I was talking about the WF model. Not the WH :wink:

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #1,068 of 2,202
Get the Sony WF-1000XM3. You won't regret it

My brother has them. I really like the sound quality, design and noise cancelling. I like the form factor of the PI4/PI3 and wonder if the sound quality is as good as the Sonys. Between us, we've tried all the usual suspects out there as far as truly wireless go and the Sony's are by far the best overall package. Not many reviews out there for the PI3 / PI4 which is odd they've been out a little while no? All I can see is glowing 5 star reviews of people who received a free pair on Amazon lol

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,069 of 2,202
My brother has them. I really like the sound quality, design and noise cancelling. I like the form factor of the PI4/PI3 and wonder if the sound quality is as good as the Sonys. Between us, we've tried all the usual suspects out there as far as truly wireless go and the Sony's are by far the best overall package. Not many reviews out there for the PI3 / PI4 which is odd they've been out a little while no? All I can see is glowing 5 star reviews of people who received a free pair on Amazon lol
The PI4 haven't been released yet. As far as I remember they're scheduled for the beginning of 2020. By then, there will be quite a few very good True-Wireless-Models on the market, so B&W probably won't sell any.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #1,071 of 2,202
The PI4 haven't been released yet. As far as I remember they're scheduled for the beginning of 2020. By then, there will be quite a few very good True-Wireless-Models on the market, so B&W probably won't sell any.
They have been released. They’re available in the US and UK right now. They sound great, but noise cancellation is very disappointing.

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #1,072 of 2,202
If anyone is interested I finally just finished my personal non-scientific testing of my collection of P7W, PX7 and Momentum 3, via wired connections and also BT. The sources used were an iPad Pro (USB-C to USB-C, USB-C to 3.5mm Jack, BT) and an iPhone X (Lightning to 3.5mm Jack and BT). All NC was switched off to give the P7Ws a level playing field as much as possible.

To start I was curious if the usb-c connection method would work with the iPad and was impressed it did (considering its an Apple product!). First up were the M3s and they were awesome, so much more volume than I expected when compared against the 3.5mm and BT options. I had to run the volume slider just a little over half and was more than happy with my listening material (a selection of 70’s Rock and some more contemporary selections). The M3s via this method came alive and were just what I’m after at this stage, nice and warm, open and eminently enjoyable. Next we’re to the PX7s and it does seem as thought the maximum amount of volume allowed is limited at the point of the headphone and so they weren’t driven as hard maybe(?), but for me the sound was more closed, and less open sounding than the M3s. Finally the P7Ws (obviously driven via the USB-C to 3.5mm jack) and they still impress to this day, great volume, great soundstage but in comparison to the M3s a little bit brighter perhaps.

Changing to use the USB-C to 3.5mm jack for the M3s and PX7s the volume required boosting near the very top, although the M3s were still more than loud enough, the PX7s again reached a limit where the volume control on the iPad had no effect after almost 3/4 of the way near maximum. As far as I could tell the sound signature was still the same as via direct USB-C connection. Using BT resulted in the same effect for both sound quality and volume levels.

Next up was the iPhone X using the Lightning to 3.5mm jack, and the M3s, for me, required full volume to get near the levels required for listening (maybe my old ears are just buggered :wink:). Same again happened with the PX7s in terms of volume being required to be pushed to the max, but again the volume limit on the headphones didn’t help. The P7W were epic here in terms of power required to drive them, via the 3.5mm cable, they came alive as the always do. Finally via BT the volume limits required for all were better i.e less required to get the same levels out, no doubt helped by the amps in the headphones perhaps. In terms of sound via BT the M3s were again nice and warm but open, P7W were less warm than I remember against the M3 and a little brighter, but the PX7 were the warmest and closed in, at least it felt that way to me on the recordings I tested with.

TLDR: Ultimately I was after a much more comfortable option for the P7W which I loved so much. Like many on this board I finally thought B&W had cracked it with the PX7s but for me the sound isn’t what I’d hoped for personally. As for the M3s, well they are superb, both in terms of the sound signature I’m after and enjoy and also importantly in comfort. It took Sennheiser three attempts to get that right for the momentum’s, but here we are. The M3s just melt into my head!, where as with the PX7s I’m always fiddling and adjusting them to get a comfortable fit. Plus the fact they ran beautifully via usb-c via the iPad was a nice bonus, hopefully the iPhone catches up in this regard with usb-c. Take everything I said with Ali can of salt as your enjoyment/mileage will no doubt vary....enjoy

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #1,073 of 2,202
They have been released. They’re available in the US and UK right now. They sound great, but noise cancellation is very disappointing.

Yeah they are available in the UK. Just wondering how the PI4 sound in comparison to the PI3 and the WF-1000XM3..the noise cancelling on the sony are great for a truly wireless pair and more than adequate for the commute but wondering whether the PI4 would sound better.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #1,074 of 2,202
HI guys, wanted to ask those who have experience returning to B&W for 1-1 exchange. Mine had the clicking sound (although it gets not so noticeable) & the ANC button not so responsive. B&W ask to bring the headphone minus the accessories like wire , ear pad. They will deliver to UK for 1-1 replacement. Do you guys have the same process? But I wonder why they ask to exclude the ear pads.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #1,075 of 2,202
I am also considering a return and replace. Headphones exhibit clicking on both sides with body movement and especially noticeable when ANC is on the high setting in noisy environments. Like Chris, I have seen this get slightly better with time. I also want to hear from people who have exchanged for a second pair. I could live with it, but doesn't seem like a good compromise for a "premium" set of cans.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #1,076 of 2,202
I am also considering a return and replace. Headphones exhibit clicking on both sides with body movement and especially noticeable when ANC is on the high setting in noisy environments. Like Chris, I have seen this get slightly better with time. I also want to hear from people who have exchanged for a second pair. I could live with it, but doesn't seem like a good compromise for a "premium" set of cans.

Replaced last week and the new pair is completely without issue. Just make the switch and be happy.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #1,077 of 2,202
Give it a shot and exchange. Not sure where you purchased them, but you may want to try another location simply for hopes of a different build date/batch.

I had the issue as well, but I ended up returning them instead of exchanging. For me, the mic quality was just too poor for business use. I will consider re-purchasing if they are able to improve the mic via firmware update.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,078 of 2,202
Give it a shot and exchange. Not sure where you purchased them, but you may want to try another location simply for hopes of a different build date/batch.

I had the issue as well, but I ended up returning them instead of exchanging. For me, the mic quality was just too poor for business use. I will consider re-purchasing if they are able to improve the mic via firmware update.

Actually the mic quality is good. why did you said its poor?

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #1,080 of 2,202
If anyone is interested I finally just finished my personal non-scientific testing of my collection of P7W, PX7 and Momentum 3, via wired connections and also BT. The sources used were an iPad Pro (USB-C to USB-C, USB-C to 3.5mm Jack, BT) and an iPhone X (Lightning to 3.5mm Jack and BT). All NC was switched off to give the P7Ws a level playing field as much as possible.

To start I was curious if the usb-c connection method would work with the iPad and was impressed it did (considering its an Apple product!). First up were the M3s and they were awesome, so much more volume than I expected when compared against the 3.5mm and BT options. I had to run the volume slider just a little over half and was more than happy with my listening material (a selection of 70’s Rock and some more contemporary selections). The M3s via this method came alive and were just what I’m after at this stage, nice and warm, open and eminently enjoyable. Next we’re to the PX7s and it does seem as thought the maximum amount of volume allowed is limited at the point of the headphone and so they weren’t driven as hard maybe(?), but for me the sound was more closed, and less open sounding than the M3s. Finally the P7Ws (obviously driven via the USB-C to 3.5mm jack) and they still impress to this day, great volume, great soundstage but in comparison to the M3s a little bit brighter perhaps.

Changing to use the USB-C to 3.5mm jack for the M3s and PX7s the volume required boosting near the very top, although the M3s were still more than loud enough, the PX7s again reached a limit where the volume control on the iPad had no effect after almost 3/4 of the way near maximum. As far as I could tell the sound signature was still the same as via direct USB-C connection. Using BT resulted in the same effect for both sound quality and volume levels.

Next up was the iPhone X using the Lightning to 3.5mm jack, and the M3s, for me, required full volume to get near the levels required for listening (maybe my old ears are just buggered :wink:). Same again happened with the PX7s in terms of volume being required to be pushed to the max, but again the volume limit on the headphones didn’t help. The P7W were epic here in terms of power required to drive them, via the 3.5mm cable, they came alive as the always do. Finally via BT the volume limits required for all were better i.e less required to get the same levels out, no doubt helped by the amps in the headphones perhaps. In terms of sound via BT the M3s were again nice and warm but open, P7W were less warm than I remember against the M3 and a little brighter, but the PX7 were the warmest and closed in, at least it felt that way to me on the recordings I tested with.

TLDR: Ultimately I was after a much more comfortable option for the P7W which I loved so much. Like many on this board I finally thought B&W had cracked it with the PX7s but for me the sound isn’t what I’d hoped for personally. As for the M3s, well they are superb, both in terms of the sound signature I’m after and enjoy and also importantly in comfort. It took Sennheiser three attempts to get that right for the momentum’s, but here we are. The M3s just melt into my head!, where as with the PX7s I’m always fiddling and adjusting them to get a comfortable fit. Plus the fact they ran beautifully via usb-c via the iPad was a nice bonus, hopefully the iPhone catches up in this regard with usb-c. Take everything I said with Ali can of salt as your enjoyment/mileage will no doubt vary....enjoy
Bought the momentum 3 having issues with bw px with glasses but i some musics i’m finding the sub bass too much and tweaking the equalizer messes other frequencies...

but the m3 except for the sub bass are Pretty good. A little sibillant at times but not much. Px has more soundstage and i miss this a bit. Should i go for px7? Tonal balance In m3 its basically flawless except for the sub bass. Bw px is not perfect In that regard and should not be the px7...

are the m3 the Best sounding wireless out there even with that sub bass boost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back