Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Nov 27, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,021 of 2,202
I think its not entirely pointless -- from the Dragonfly you're getting a better quality signal to the PX7 DAC than over Bluetooth!
I wouldn't agree, but this is all opinions anyway. In my experience Bluetooth sounds as good as wired, or at least good enough that I would have to work really hard to see where they may differ in some really, really small way. The real issue there is if you are actually listening in case there are differences, you have already introduced the confound of expectation so any difference you might hear could simply be expectation bias. Regardless, don't want to go down that debate road, but I find Bluetooth just as satisfying as wired without a doubt. The days of quality compromises with Bluetooth are well in the rear view mirror now.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,022 of 2,202
I wish Samsung would just get their finger out and implement aptX HD or Adaptive.

I don't doubt the internal DAC on the PX7 but I have thoroughly enjoyed my P7W with the Dragonfly Red. I feel like losing the ability to use wired passive mode is quite limiting - I appreciate they are wireless headphones but the option is nice.

I was curious to try and find someone who has experimented a bit more with DACs on the PX7's.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,023 of 2,202
I wouldn't agree, but this is all opinions anyway. In my experience Bluetooth sounds as good as wired, or at least good enough that I would have to work really hard to see where they may differ in some really, really small way. The real issue there is if you are actually listening in case there are differences, you have already introduced the confound of expectation so any difference you might hear could simply be expectation bias. Regardless, don't want to go down that debate road, but I find Bluetooth just as satisfying as wired without a doubt. The days of quality compromises with Bluetooth are well in the rear view mirror now.

No doubt! Just meant to point out it’s not the end of the world. I do however think there’s a noticeable boost in quality when using USB-C.

I wish Samsung would just get their finger out and implement aptX HD or Adaptive.

I don't doubt the internal DAC on the PX7 but I have thoroughly enjoyed my P7W with the Dragonfly Red. I feel like losing the ability to use wired passive mode is quite limiting - I appreciate they are wireless headphones but the option is nice.

I was curious to try and find someone who has experimented a bit more with DACs on the PX7's.

I sometimes plug it into my DAP, I find it picks up some of the character of the nutube amp it uses. But this isn’t something I do often at all. The PX7 sounds great itself, and I have wired headphones for when I want that. I just don’t find myself wanting a wire when I’m mobile.

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,024 of 2,202

Playing wired from MacBook through SMSL M3 DAC, compare to aptxHD from LG V30, there is subtle or no difference in sound quality in my observation.
20191127_160734.jpg
20191127_160734.jpg

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,025 of 2,202
Thank you for the responses.

I think I would be better off remaining with my P7W given my Samsung is only capable of standard AptX and that has wired passive. With these I'd be no better off via bluetooth and restricted to their DAC and requiring power in wired mode.

Just feels a backwards step in some ways from B&W which is a shame because I've been waiting for a worth successor to the P7W from them, I skipped the PX's following similar mixed reviews.

Nov 27, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #1,026 of 2,202
So just to be sure that I fully understand how the PX7 is designed. If somebody wants to use it wired, the power has to be engaged on the headphone and the input is passed through the PX7 internal DAC regardless?

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #1,029 of 2,202
I see a lot of people comparing the Dali io-6 to the PX7. When using the Dalis, if you wear glasses, remove them or hook them over the top of the ear cups. The Dalis are the worst headphones I think I've heard when it comes to seal integrity. I have the thinnest of frames, purposefully as I use many headphones and want to have minimal impact on seal. Even with my thin frames, if I wear the Dalis with my glasses on and use the headphones without ANC on, the bass is very anemic. ANC on solves this as it checks seal integrity. Just thought I'd point that out for those saying they're anemic. The Dalis are actually the most neutral, natural, and detailed wireless ANC headphones I've heard

Nov 28, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #1,031 of 2,202
I see a lot of people comparing the Dali io-6 to the PX7. When using the Dalis, if you wear glasses, remove them or hook them over the top of the ear cups. The Dalis are the worst headphones I think I've heard when it comes to seal integrity. I have the thinnest of frames, purposefully as I use many headphones and want to have minimal impact on seal. Even with my thin frames, if I wear the Dalis with my glasses on and use the headphones without ANC on, the bass is very anemic. ANC on solves this as it checks seal integrity. Just thought I'd point that out for those saying they're anemic. The Dalis are actually the most neutral, natural, and detailed wireless ANC headphones I've heard

Unfortunately, at least for me, I don't really have glasses that would work hooked over the ear cups. Not an idea solution anyway. I think any over-ear headphones designed for mobile use should factor in glasses, so I again question whether or not ANC was a primary design feature of the IO-6. I can't shake the feeling the Dali headphone project started with the IO-4 and the IO-6 is the IO-4 with outsourced ANC tech tacked on. That said, I hear absolutely no difference glasses on/off. ANC on/off, sure. And I agree they are the most neutral and detailed, but I am not sure about natural. I reject the idea that neutral categorically equals good. But this is very much a preference question. I also wouldn't say the PX7 isn't detailed, I think they are.

Yesterday's IO-6 city test was disheartening in a way I didn't anticipate: It is parka season already where I'm currently based, and I like to wear my hood up. The IO-6 profile is much wider than the PX7, and the plastic ear cups rub against the hood making all kinds of scratching noises. The form of the PX7 prevents this, but so does mesh. Can't say thats a reason they put a soft fabric on the headband and cups, but it is a nice unforeseen benefit of this design decision. I think I'm taking the IO-6s back to the store today. I just don't have any real use case for them. The ear pad design is not great, lacks convenience features that I need while mobile, the ANC isn't anywhere near the PX7, and I do believe they sound anemic. A matter of taste, however.

IMHO, the PX7s are just so much better at what a wireless ANC headphone should do. And to me it sounds closer to what live rock and metal sounds like (the main things I listen to when I'm not listening to Kanye). These headphones are distinguished mostly by two very different approaches to headphone tuning. Neither objectively better or worse. I vastly prefer the B&W approach. If I keep the IO-6s, they'll suffer the same fate as my neutral IEMs that only get used at the gym. Actually, they'd suffer a worse fate, I'd probably never reach for them ever with the P9 and PX7 also within reach.

For those trying to decide between the IO-6 and PX7, there's no easy answer other than what your preferences and priorities are in this investment. I'm all but settled on the PX7, and all the IO-6 trials have done for me is reassure me that I've chosen correctly (for my ears and my needs from my mobile cans).

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #1,033 of 2,202
Hey Guys, do you have the issue with the ANC button? I notice the ANC button on my PX7 sometimes doesn't respond when pressed, i need to press precisely in the center for it to work even there is a physical feedback of the button pressing in, if pressed slightly off it doesn't respond. I am wondering if this is normal.

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #1,034 of 2,202
I think its not entirely pointless -- from the Dragonfly you're getting a better quality signal to the PX7 DAC than over Bluetooth!
But what exactly does PX7 DAC do here? Amplify the signal? It's already analogue coming from Dragonfly. I'd just use PX7 though USB then. I'm also of opinion that with active headphones, the built in DAC/amplifier is perfectly matched for the drivers, no need to use in in passive mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back