Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Dec 3, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #2,821 of 2,912
I usually have my Wear Sensor set to "More" as I wear glasses and have longer hair & it works very well when listening in the office with several colleagues also listening to bluetooth headsets. If my music pauses when streaming it is usually network related, offline music generally doesn't pause but I couldn't really advise you on what your specific issue is. Have you tried connecting them to another source to see if the problem follows? A relative's phone or perhaps your laptop for example? That way you could eliminate whether it is your phone or the headphones. What happens if you turn off Bluetooth completely and connect them using the 3.5mm audio cable that was bundled with the headphones? Do you still get audio dropouts then? Depending on where you bought them from and their returns policy you could possibly send them back for a refund or you could contact Bowers & Wilkins directly. I have contacted them several times and they have answered very quickly. They may ask you to send them in to be investigated and should then be able to advise you whether the headphones are faulty or not. I would definitely suggest playing around with the Wear Sensor in the app however rather than just turning it off because you have "read that it was a bit finicky". Different people have different sensitivity levels and what is "finicky" for one person may be acceptable to another.

I only listen to mp3s on my phone, so it's definitely not an internet issue.

The cutouts seem to be happening more often and it appears to be totally random. I read that in busy stations with lots of interference it could happen. Today I went to Liverpool Street station and I didn't get a cutout on the inside. I did bet them kn the outside.

I called a local hi fi shop and asked them if this was supposed to happen. They said that I should not be getting cutouts and that if I am, I should replace them. I think that's what I will do.

Thank you!

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #2,822 of 2,912
Has anyone had their pxs replaced under warranty ?

I sent mine in under the two year warranty as the battery capacity had diminished to around 10hrs after 17 months, actually noticed it after 6 months ( to around 16hrs ) but never wanted to part with them as I use them daily. B&W replaced them with a recertified pair ( plain white box packaging ). I was expecting a new pair as they were purchased new direct from B&W UK. For those that received replacements did you receive new or recertified PXs ? thanks

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,823 of 2,912
I've had 3 pairs of the soft case version and now 2 pairs of the hard case version and there is definitely a difference in the amount of padding in the headband. there is more padding and its a bit wider. It also feels like the ear cups are a bit more padded too.
I tend to agree with this. I purchased 2 pairs of the soft case version shortly after they came out. I just recently purchased a new pair yesterday because they are on sale for $229 NEW at Amazon; this pair also came with a hard case. Going off memory, the headband padding does feel a little better and the earpads seem to have a slightly wider base. Silly test, but one of the things that was an issue with the other 2 pairs, is the seal would break every time I chewed (gum, food when watching movies, etc.), but the new pair does not. It's also not as "wobbly" as the first 2. Not an A/B test, but I can say the very real issues I had are no longer present.

upload_2019-12-16_14-0-0.png

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #2,824 of 2,912
Just grabbed a pair of these off my forum for £110 second hand, really impressed by them coming from the P5 Wireless, bulkier but worth it for the upgrade audio quality, I ordered a hard case off the UK B&W website.

Can you use any usb charger? is there an amp/current limit?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #2,825 of 2,912
The City mode is supposed to let traffic noises in. It even enhances those kind of mid-high frequency sounds. Because it can be a danger to not hear traffic sounds in the city.
And Office mode is supposed to let you hear your coworkers.
Many people wrongly think of the modes (Office, City, Flight) as a continuous scale of NC from low-high effect. But that’s not true. It just different modes for different situations.
But Flight mode does block the most noises.

And you’re totally right that the NC on the Sony is much better! They are the best on that part.

I prefer the PX because of the better sound quality. I don’t normally use NC.
But when I do use NC (as on plane) then I think the Flight mode is good enough for me. It blocks most of that awful low frequency engine sounds.

I did have problems with comfort in the beginning. 7 month later I never think about the comfort anymore. Maybe after a few hours I can get a little sore on the top of my head. But that’s all.

ok this is confusing, if I'm in city and I want to block as much noise as possible then don't choose 'city' filter? How do I just turn on maximum ANC? or does this headphone not have that feature?

The City filter says "Reduce city noise, but stay aware of whats happening around you", well then whats the point then? And the 'Flight' setting reads like it's only geared towards flight/cabin sound?

It seems like the ANC on these headphones are only environment specific but still filter audio through?

I honestly just wish there was a simple ANC on/off.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #2,826 of 2,912
ok this is confusing, if I'm in city and I want to block as much noise as possible then don't choose 'city' filter? How do I just turn on maximum ANC? or does this headphone not have that feature?

The City filter says "Reduce city noise, but stay aware of whats happening around you", well then whats the point then? And the 'Flight' setting reads like it's only geared towards flight/cabin sound?

It seems like the ANC on these headphones are only environment specific but still filter audio through?

I honestly just wish there was a simple ANC on/off.
Yuu can adjust the settings to allow for a certain amount of ambient sound or none with each ANC setting. You can try City with no ambient sound and see what that does. Flight is max ANC with no ambient open. The headphones will remember the last ANC setting, so when you toggle on/off, it will go back to the one you selected.

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #2,828 of 2,912
City = Low ANC
Flight = High ANC

That's pretty obvious.

That may sound obvious but if you read what the chap wrote that I quoted above,

"Many people wrongly think of the modes (Office, City, Flight) as a continuous scale of NC from low-high effect. But that’s not true. It just different modes for different situations."

And no one seemed to question him so I assumed he was correct.

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,829 of 2,912
Hi,

Thanks to the recent price drop I pulled the trigger on the PX fully aware that newer (and probably better) models from B&W are available but I didn't want to spend a fortune. Pairing it with my iPhone XR was easy and listening wireless is a nice experience (I'm mainly streaming FLAC files from my NAS and I understand that I due to the iPhone's limitations I don't get aptX (HD) but that is fine with me for the time being). I had a few issues with the sensor (I have very, very short hair) but once the headset seems to sit in the right position everything is good. The PX are no match for my 17 years old Sennheiser headset or my UE Triple.fi (which I rarely use as I don't have custom earpieces and the cable noise drives me crazy which is a shame). Anyway...I've tried to read the 187 pages of this thread as much as possible but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

My main use for the PX will be connecting it to my Windows PC (Win 7 as my productive environment (and an occasional use of Win 10 which will see more action soon)). I've bought the Avantree DG40S Bluetooth USB dongle because it had received a lot of praise. Turns out this was a mistake as the installation of the Avantree DG40S did mess up the Windows installation messing around with the network adaptors amongst other stuff (I only found that this has been a problem for more users AFTER I've installed it). Anyway...it took me 2 hours to remove the driver and return my system to a fully working one thanks to a backup that I made before I've installed the adapter.

I have a small Bluetooth box (RX/TX) on order that I plan to connect by TOSLINK therefore avoiding any potential driver issues with the Windows installation. There are tons of such boxes available. All of them with mixed reviews and it doesn't matter if it's a cheap or more expensive one.

So my question is: what are your choices to connect a PC (mainboard w/o integrated bluetooth capabilities) to your PXes? Thank you!

Dec 27, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #2,832 of 2,912
Thanks for your suggestion and feedback. However I really like the wireless option. Otherwise it does not make sense to replace the (way better) Sennheiser with the PX.
Just get a Bluetooth dongle that connects via 3.5mm to the PC. This way, you bypass any driver installation and can still have control over the output via audio card sound settings.

Dec 27, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #2,833 of 2,912
Just get a Bluetooth dongle that connects via 3.5mm to the PC. This way, you bypass any driver installation and can still have control over the output via audio card sound settings.

That's basically what I'm doing with the BT box that I have on order. Instead of the 3.5mm connector I'll use the TOSLINK connector though.

Any other suggestions? I'd think that there must be lots of users using that laptop or PC and hook up their BT headsets (e.g. PX).

Dec 27, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #2,834 of 2,912
That's basically what I'm doing with the BT box that I have on order. Instead of the 3.5mm connector I'll use the TOSLINK connector though.

Any other suggestions? I'd think that there must be lots of users using that laptop or PC and hook up their BT headsets (e.g. PX).
So, if you're looking to communicate via BT over the PC, I can't comment on that, since that's not my personal use. I have 2 phones, so when using the PX, I play music on the one with aptX HD and still can't get calls from my iPhone. If I hook up to the PC, I just use my Radsone ES100 to go wireless or go USB wired. I'm not a gamer, so I don't have any need to use the PX as a headset over the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back