Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 20, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #2,791 of 2,912
I maybe late to the party, and was considering buying the px7. Instead of waiting I have made the jump to buy a pair of pristine condition 2nd hand Gold and Blue PX at about £180 with 1.5 years of warranty on electrical part and 4.5 years of warranty on mechanical part left.

I hope I won't regret it......

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #2,792 of 2,912
I’ve had the PX7 since Monday and yesterday took them on 18 hours of flying. The noise cancelling is substantially improved over the PX. Minimal quality loss even at high, and at least personally my ears don’t work well with the pressure changes so in a travel scenario you’re actually hearing the best possible sound on a plane.

I’ve been constantly impressed by the improvements to ANC. First of all, it is better at blocking noise. Compared to the PX, it just feels quieter (perhaps due to better passive isolation, since the war cups are much, much larger and thicker) and as if more is being blocked. Higher frequency noises still get through, but they’ve clearly optimized their ANC significantly. During on the ground tests, the impact on sound quality is sole loss in what I guess I would call vibrance or emotion on the top end. Need to do more listening but really it’s not the night and day difference that characterizes the PX.

That said, these cans do not sound like the PX (for those who must know, I’ve not done any intentional burn in. Just used for about 30, maybe 40 hours at this point). There is more bass here, and the mids are not nearly as prominent. It reminds me of the P9 on the low end, but dialed back slightly. People who were holding on to their P7s and skipping the PX will probably be happy about the PX7 sound. The PX appears to have been an anomaly in the B&W lineup.

Some other thoughts: I believe the soundstage and separation in the PX7 is larger than the PX. Vocals, for example, may not be as prominently represented as the PX, but the PX7 I think has them better defined and isolated into their lane. This impression may change, I’m still getting to know these cans.
Would you characterize the PX7 as having a similar sound signature as the P7 Wireless? I have the P7 Wireless and had the PX, but the comfort was just not there on the PX and the ANC really killed the sound.

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #2,793 of 2,912
I’ve had the PX7 along with Dali’s for a few days now. Although I believe for my ears the Dali’s sound tons better, my wife has decided to keep the PX7’s and now loves them, fit, feel, sound, she likes the whole package. This is all very individual, I greatly prefer the sound of the Dali and once having experienced that couldn’t be happy with the PX7, although if I’d never heard the Dali maybe I’d be totally fine with the PX7, who knows.
The reviews of the Dali coming out of Scandinavia, Germany etc, all say that their SQ is at the top. This is a translated version of the conclusion of one of those reviews, but they all say the same.

Conclusion;

IO-6 is DALI's debut in the headphone market, here they have proven that they can transfer the experience of their own speaker elements into a smaller format. Admittedly, there is no delicious lifestyle app for the mobile, and there is only one ANC mode. But why complicate things unnecessarily if it already works perfectly? Noise reduction is not as effective in the midrange as Sony, but it is sufficient, and the effect on the sound is much milder. The strongest card in the IO-6 is and remains the sound quality, which is the best I have ever heard in a pair of ANC headphones. This, combined with a build quality that few can match, makes the IO-6 a really good alternative in the luxury class.

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #2,794 of 2,912
Px7 are packed and I send them back tomorrow, unfortunately it is not my "taste"

The mid and high tones in IO6 are similar to those in momemntum 3, but the overall sound of the headphones is better, sound clarity is better. However, they have very little bass and I don't know if I like it, I need a little more time with them. Apart from my preference for a sound signature, I agree that these are the best-sounding ANC headphones I've ever heard

Oct 31, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #2,795 of 2,912
I've just compared the B&W PX vs the SONY 1000X m3 (they're both with me right now) and I was loving the PX before listening to the SONYs. However when I heard the SONYs, they're a step above by quite a margin. Instrument separation has no comparison, making the PX's sound congested, soundstage is bigger, they sound fuller and more dynamic/expressive. The PX are flatter and dull, they lack body, soul, separation is just about average, not in the same league. I'm totally absorved by the m3's right now, it's indeed an outstanding pair of BT headphones.

Im using them with a bit of EQ which makes a world of a difference compared to aptx/no EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #2,796 of 2,912
I've just compared the B&W PX vs the SONY 1000X m3 (they're both with me right now) and I was loving the PX before listening to the SONYs. However when I heard the SONYs, they're a step above by quite a margin. Instrument separation has no comparison, making the PX's sound congested, soundstage is bigger, they sound fuller and more dynamic. The PX are flatter and dull, separation is average, not in the same league. I'm totally absorved by the m3's right now...

Reading that post about the DALI's, made me curious about testing one of those. Could they beat the m3's?
May be you are having a faulty PX. Never heard anyone saying Xm3 has better sound quality, especially instrument separation than PX.
When I wanted to move from the XM2, I tried the XM3 first and I felt XM3 worse than The XM2 regarding sound quality especially bass department. Tried the PX and night and day sound quality difference. Even though there's some comfort issues I kept them as my daily driver. The XM2 however was more comfortable very light and has great ANC.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #2,798 of 2,912
AF2EB6C7-6868-4F7B-9D62-E0650B27D96C.jpeg
3220DFCD-E873-444C-B7E1-65F81185F0AF.jpeg
Just got a brand new pair of PX’s with the hard case and updated headband and ear pad design. My previous pairs were all the mk1 design. Comfort in the headband seems like it has been improved but something I have noticed is that the ballistic nylon on the top of the band doesn’t seem to be bonded to the material underneath. So the nylon feels a bit saggy/baggy. Especially when the headband is flexed a little. Has anyone else noticed this?
Just wanted to know if this is normal for the updated design or if there is in fact a manufacturing error.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,799 of 2,912
No other changes with the headphones or sound? You know, like a silent MKII release? Does the box mention the new case ?
Bought another pair of PX’s this time they came with the hard case, there are definite changes to the headband - it’s got quite a bit more padding and seems to have made the contact point with the head a bit wider too. The ear cups also feel like they have more padding in and feel softer overall. (I have had 3 pairs of PX headphones with the soft case, so am familiar with the headphone).

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,800 of 2,912
Bought another pair of PX’s this time they came with the hard case, there are definite changes to the headband - it’s got quite a bit more padding and seems to have made the contact point with the head a bit wider too. The ear cups also feel like they have more padding in and feel softer overall. (I have had 3 pairs of PX headphones with the soft case, so am familiar with the headphone).
How do you know which PX is the new version with the hard case and the one without? How can you tell a difference before purchase?

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #2,801 of 2,912
Just got a brand new pair of PX’s with the hard case and updated headband and ear pad design. My previous pairs were all the mk1 design. Comfort in the headband seems like it has been improved but something I have noticed is that the ballistic nylon on the top of the band doesn’t seem to be bonded to the material underneath. So the nylon feels a bit saggy/baggy. Especially when the headband is flexed a little. Has anyone else noticed this?
Just wanted to know if this is normal for the updated design or if there is in fact a manufacturing error.

I have the older model PXs with the soft case. The ballistic material is also loose on those. I did think it was bonded to the headband when I first purchased them and when I noticed the movement in the material it was enough of a concern for me to contact Bowers & Wilkins regarding a potential fault. They have assured me that this is a genuine design feature. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back