Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Dec 30, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #2,836 of 2,912
So, if you're looking to communicate via BT over the PC, I can't comment on that, since that's not my personal use. I have 2 phones, so when using the PX, I play music on the one with aptX HD and still can't get calls from my iPhone. If I hook up to the PC, I just use my Radsone ES100 to go wireless or go USB wired. I'm not a gamer, so I don't have any need to use the PX as a headset over the PC.

I'm not a gamer either. I just would like to listen to my music and watch some YT stuff or the occasional movies (sound quality really only matters for music though). I had a look at the Radsone ES100 that you've mentioned and it looks like a neat little box. I've downloaded the manual of it but it's not fully clear how you would connect that to your PC (with the USB connector?)?. In the meantime I've received the Bluetooth TX/RX-box that I had ordered (ELEGIANT Bluetooth 5.0 TX/RX (approx. EUR/US$ 33)), connected it by TOSLINK to my PC and it worked out of the box including aptX HD. As expected it did not mess with the drivers and you can control volume etc. by the PX or via the usual interface. Only the sensor won't have any impact when you remove the headset from your head as there isn't any feedback between the PX and the PC (as expected). Sound is OK but still not anything like my old beat-up Sennheiser.

BTW: Your profile picture looks like Paul Stanley. Are you him? :D

I might be misunderstanding something, but aren't all laptop these days are shipped with bluetooth?

I would say that most laptops these days are shipped with bluetooth. If they provide the quality and options needed that is a different questions. However I'm using a real PC that I mainly use for Photoshop etc. with tons of SSDs and other stuff inside.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #2,837 of 2,912
I was following this thread and decided to join. I bought my PX in august 2018 after price drop. Was reading reviews about great sound of these cans. I wanted NC type of headphones. At first when I started to listen to it I was shocked how cheap they sounded. Like I was listening through the pillow. I used to my Noble K10 iem's and Shure 846 with V shaped eq settings. I didn't like the PX's to the point that I bought Sennheiser Monentum 3 with clear higts and deep bass and put PX for sale. But after advice from this thread I decided to give them another chance and glad I did. After only 10 hours of burn in they opened up. I set eq to neutral settings. And loving them. They sound amazing. Now it's hard for me to go back to Momentums. PX's sound heaps better with detailed mature sound, great tight bass, just everything soud better. I love the build quality and design. I have blue and gold colour. They are my daily cans now. Aptx HD from my Huawei P30 pro, just amazing. Thanks everyone for your comments in this thread that stopped me from making mistake of selling my B&W PX.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #2,839 of 2,912
Hey guys! I ended up getting a replacement pair through Amazon. I thought I would update this thread, just in case someone is having a similar issue.

If your audio is cutting out often, your unit is most likely damaged. Get a replacement.

I've had the new pair for about two weeks now. I only ever get cutouts when in a busy train station, and only a couple of times.

Sonic impressions: good soundstage. Good detail, revealing of your source material. If you are a basshead (like me) you may be a bit underwhelmed by the bass impact. It is there, it just doesn't hit so hard. It is a slightly v-shaped signature, not completely flat. The sub-bass, however, is quite good.

I have had no problems with the volume, as some have stated. As a matter of fact, I have to keep mine just above medium, or else I will get hearing damage.

I got the model with the case and the new padding. I have worn these for hours at a time and can't really complain.

Overall, I am happy with these. They are my first BT headphone and I'm glad I got them for my commute.

I only listen to mp3s on my phone, so it's definitely not an internet issue.

The cutouts seem to be happening more often and it appears to be totally random. I read that in busy stations with lots of interference it could happen. Today I went to Liverpool Street station and I didn't get a cutout on the inside. I did bet them kn the outside.

I called a local hi fi shop and asked them if this was supposed to happen. They said that I should not be getting cutouts and that if I am, I should replace them. I think that's what I will do.

Thank you!

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #2,840 of 2,912
I just placed a new order after I saw them on Amazon.de for about 200€. I hope it’s the newer revision with the hardcase and if they have tweaked the padding. At this price it’s a steal I think.
If it's shipped and sold by Amazon, then they're almost certainly the V2 with the better padding and hardcase. I just ordered mine a few weeks ago and it was the "upgraded version".

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #2,841 of 2,912
If it's shipped and sold by Amazon, then they're almost certainly the V2 with the better padding and hardcase. I just ordered mine a few weeks ago and it was the "upgraded version".

You've right - it was the revision, with hardcase and much softer padding on the headband the cushions themselves. A good improvement from when I first bought them :)

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #2,842 of 2,912
So this crazy long thread is why I finally set up an account after years of lurking. Yes, I stupidly read all 190 pages.. but I just finished 3 weeks of testing of TWO PXs along with a PX5 (will share that experience in another thread). Hopefully my journey will help others.

Here's the bottom line, I've tried two very different PXs in the last two weeks--the old one with the quilt case and the "new" one with soft earpads/hard case. PX 1.0 I grabbed on a crazy flash sale for $230 (Best Buy price match). It was everything the first 180 pages of this thread talked about -- sensitive to head position, no bass with seal broken by glasses (I wear them), and ANC would obliterate the sound. Awesome wide sound no glasses/no ANC. But this thread showed me B&W updated the PX and I was lucky enough to get Best Buy to swap the old one for v 2.0. with hard case.

To my surprise v. 2.0 was an almost entirely different HP. First of all, it's lighter. By a lot. The PX5, which was going to be my mobile choice, suddenly seemed less necessary. The headband? So much more comfortable. The "soft gold" was also a bit more pale than PX 1.0. Not extreme, more trending towards a champagne.

And the earpads? Holy moly, what a difference. Thicker + softer. While I didn't have any issue with 1.0, 2.0 is a lot more comfortable and less "clamping" right out of the box.

And the ANC? WHAT A CHANGE! While I can't say I notice better isolation (not enough testing), the hit on SQ is entirely different. It's still there, but much, much better. There's no decrease in volume that would require me to turn it up after turning ANC on. The soundstage narrows. but not as much. And there is actually a noticeable difference in SQ among the three modes, unlike 1.0 where it seemed City + Flight = same bad SQ. Now, it's "acceptable" and not far from the PX5.

To the sound, 2.0 sounds closer to the PX5 in signature--warmer, darker, less bright. I knew that the different, thicker, earpads would change the signature but I can't help but wonder if B&W started making other adjustments to the later PX as it was getting ready to roll out the PX7. Honestly. the difference in signature between PX 1.0 and PX5 was night/day while PX 2.0 and PX5 are closer. Unfortunately, I don't have a PX7 around to test out but I wonder if some of the beta components for the PX7 are sitting in this late model PX.

Anyway, while I'm glad to have tried two different PXs, the amount of difference between the "same" labeled HP doesn't inspire much confidence. I mean, this variation could explain a lot of the inconsistent reviews on this model--and perhaps others as well. Heck, as far as I know there could be "different sounding" PX 2.0 models even with the hard case/softer earpads. My only parting thought is that if you try the 1.0 PX and don't like it, try to find a late model version as it may work better for you. I'm pleased overall with this 2.0 PX.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #2,843 of 2,912
So this crazy long thread is why I finally set up an account after years of lurking. Yes, I stupidly read all 190 pages.. but I just finished 3 weeks of testing of TWO PXs along with a PX5 (will share that experience in another thread). Hopefully my journey will help others.

Here's the bottom line, I've tried two very different PXs in the last two weeks--the old one with the quilt case and the "new" one with soft earpads/hard case. PX 1.0 I grabbed on a crazy flash sale for $230 (Best Buy price match). It was everything the first 180 pages of this thread talked about -- sensitive to head position, no bass with seal broken by glasses (I wear them), and ANC would obliterate the sound. Awesome wide sound no glasses/no ANC. But this thread showed me B&W updated the PX and I was lucky enough to get Best Buy to swap the old one for v 2.0. with hard case.

To my surprise v. 2.0 was an almost entirely different HP. First of all, it's lighter. By a lot. The PX5, which was going to be my mobile choice, suddenly seemed less necessary. The headband? So much more comfortable. The "soft gold" was also a bit more pale than PX 1.0. Not extreme, more trending towards a champagne.

And the earpads? Holy moly, what a difference. Thicker + softer. While I didn't have any issue with 1.0, 2.0 is a lot more comfortable and less "clamping" right out of the box.

And the ANC? WHAT A CHANGE! While I can't say I notice better isolation (not enough testing), the hit on SQ is entirely different. It's still there, but much, much better. There's no decrease in volume that would require me to turn it up after turning ANC on. The soundstage narrows. but not as much. And there is actually a noticeable difference in SQ among the three modes, unlike 1.0 where it seemed City + Flight = same bad SQ. Now, it's "acceptable" and not far from the PX5.

To the sound, 2.0 sounds closer to the PX5 in signature--warmer, darker, less bright. I knew that the different, thicker, earpads would change the signature but I can't help but wonder if B&W started making other adjustments to the later PX as it was getting ready to roll out the PX7. Honestly. the difference in signature between PX 1.0 and PX5 was night/day while PX 2.0 and PX5 are closer. Unfortunately, I don't have a PX7 around to test out but I wonder if some of the beta components for the PX7 are sitting in this late model PX.

Anyway, while I'm glad to have tried two different PXs, the amount of difference between the "same" labeled HP doesn't inspire much confidence. I mean, this variation could explain a lot of the inconsistent reviews on this model--and perhaps others as well. Heck, as far as I know there could be "different sounding" PX 2.0 models even with the hard case/softer earpads. My only parting thought is that if you try the 1.0 PX and don't like it, try to find a late model version as it may work better for you. I'm pleased overall with this 2.0 PX.
Glad you're enjoying the PX 2.0. I find the sound to be better overall than the PX7, which is a bit dark and lacking in detail around the low-treble region and a bit peaky at around 10kHz.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #2,844 of 2,912
Reading all these reviews on the v2.0 makes me wish I could purchase a pair, just can't justify it! I have the PX v1 and over enjoy them very much. My main issue is after an hour they will start to cause a little pain because the driver (I think that is what is is) presses up against the edge of my ears. Sounds like the extra padding may make them perfect. Have there been any replacement pads put out yet? I have not found any.

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #2,846 of 2,912
Think it's time to go hunting for the v2, especially since the newer PX7 isn't exactly an improvement.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell on the box--it doesn't say "comes with hard case" or give any other identifying information that it's the PX 2.0. If this helps, my serial # was 1913-013XXXX. I believe my old "PX 1.0} serial started with 18 something as B&W offered to "sell me" the new plush earpads for $50 as once they saw my serial # they knew it was the "old version." If you can get your hands on the box, see if it's in the 19+ range before pulling the trigger. The serial # is the top center number just under the barcode, but above the PX Wireless name.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #2,849 of 2,912
Honestly PX started to sound good after 40h and after 200 hours it's a really decent sound for 300-400$ headphone overall, not just bluetooth.
I imagine the same would be with px7, which I will only buy when my px brakes down.

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,850 of 2,912
Fixed your comment for you @3Putter

Many of us here don't think they sound like garbage at all. In fact I still think they are the best all round BT ANC headphone by some margin.
Maybe that is my issue. I haven't compared to other BT ANC headphones. I guess that it might be fair to say that all BT ANC headphones sound like garbage compared to my wired IEM's and headphones. I hope I can still play in your sandbox. Selling them for $250. If I don't sell them then I'll continue to break them in and see if they are tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back