Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #2,777 of 2,912
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #2,778 of 2,912
Oct 9, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #2,779 of 2,912
These looks very interesting, ticks many boxes, so with APTX adaptive they should be fine for almost any task? I'd really like a pair of good pair of wireless headphones that can do everything, movies, gaming, music, calls etc.

But to my knowledge there isn't a single USB adapter with the APTX Adaptive codec? I'm debating between these or the new Sennheiser which got APTX LL.

I don't think there are many alternatives in the premium segment if you're after Multi point and a low latency codec?

B&O H9 3rd Gen (but they're more expensive) and Beyerdynamic Lagoon are considered high-end and have aptX LL (in addition to the new Momentum 3 Wireless - but if you're after the sound of the B&W, I believe you won't like them, and prefer the B&O or Beyer).

I like that Bowers & Wilkins now includes a case; looks pretty sleek. Anyone try the PX5? $100 cheaper with better availability.

PX5 are on-ear, they'll sell them to the mum of the current CEO and gift one to his grandma. Then production will stop.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #2,780 of 2,912
B&O H9 3rd Gen (but they're more expensive) and Beyerdynamic Lagoon are considered high-end and have aptX LL (in addition to the new Momentum 3 Wireless - but if you're after the sound of the B&W, I believe you won't like them, and prefer the B&O or Beyer).

I have an unopened box of the PX7's sitting here (as previously mentioned). I preordered from Amazon and did not expect to receive them so early. I am debating whether to open and play or send them back. The reason is that my particular usage scenario is exclusively for airplane travel. I might not have the opportunity to try them out within the 1 month return policy.

I
currently own the B&O H9i 2nd generation - and had the first generation as well. I have demoed the QC35's, the Sony XM2's and XM3's, and the new Bose N700's. While I realize the noise canceling on both the Bose and Sony is superior to my B&O's I found both to have the NC set too strong and I was always bothered by the pressure effect both brands caused me to feel. The H9's - both versions - had significantly better sound than either the Bose or Sony - and the NC did not cause me pressure problems.

The reason I ordered the PX7's was because I used to own the P7W and love the B&O sound signature. Very similar to my Naim 2 channel system in that they strive on musicality and prat.
If the PX7's can improve upon my B&O H9i noise cancelling ability than that would be enough to get me to change.
Not quite sure if I should just open the box and play - or return and reorder when I start taking some flights in December

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #2,783 of 2,912
For who might be interested, What Hi-Fi review is out https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bowers-and-wilkins-px7-review

(personally, I generally find their reviews to be completely unreliable i.e. praising Sony WH-1000XM3 and Momentum 2 Wireless, but whatever)
New too found What HiFi reviews are promoting some brands and products, for example Sony Wh1000xm3. I never rate it above momentum 3 or B&W PX. True that xm3 has the best notice cancelling, in the expense of sound quality. They are lighter and more comfortable but cheaply made. Bass is over powering and affecting midrange and narrow soundstage. I was a Wh1000xm2 user before I moved to PX. I have tried most flagship ANC headphones before PX. If you read the Whatwifi review you can see that new PX7 rated below or equal to the Xm3.

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #2,784 of 2,912
New too found What HiFi reviews are promoting some brands and products, for example Sony Wh1000xm3. I never rate it above momentum 3 or B&W PX. True that xm3 has the best notice cancelling, in the expense of sound quality. They are lighter and more comfortable but cheaply made. Bass is over powering and affecting midrange and narrow soundstage. I was a Wh1000xm2 user before I moved to PX. I have tried most flagship ANC headphones before PX. If you read the Whatwifi review you can see that new PX7 rated below or equal to the Xm3.

Best noise cancelling, light and comfortable are all important and should be given some weight. It doesn't do much good to have headphones with superb sound that are so heavy and uncomfortable that they can't be worn for more than 15 minutes. It's a balancing act that manufacturers have to deal with. I do agree that What HiFi has some head scratching scoring and recommendations, though not as bad as rtings.

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #2,785 of 2,912
Best noise cancelling, light and comfortable are all important and should be given some weight. It doesn't do much good to have headphones with superb sound that are so heavy and uncomfortable that they can't be worn for more than 15 minutes. It's a balancing act that manufacturers have to deal with. I do agree that What HiFi has some head scratching scoring and recommendations, though not as bad as rtings.
I do agree that the PX wasn't most comfortable headphones but for me never felt too much discomfort , even the Sony's made my ears warm and itchy. There's Pros and cons for all products.
But I don't agree what Whatwifi says on the sound quality of the PX7 compare to XM3
"They reveal more enthusiasm and drive than their peers, even if the Sonys have a more grounded disposition and sound more authentic in the way they convey music." Sorry I never felt Sony's this way, maybe it's only me.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #2,786 of 2,912
When I chose my PX year ago, Sennheiser M2 was the closest rival (Sony XM2 and Bose QCII were not anywhere near - sound wise).

Here is PX7 vs Sennheiser M3:

I (as a "good tight and precise bass" pedant) think he evaluated all just right (you can start at 21:20 where SQ starts and then conclusion).

For me I would (and maybe will :)) pick PX7 ...
The only thing for me is the look. This silver variant is .... for me it looks cheap. I would go the darker variant.

P.S.: He is working on PX7 vs XM3 now and I hope he will compare PX vs PX7 then too.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #2,787 of 2,912
When I chose my PX year ago, Sennheiser M2 was the closest rival (Sony XM2 and Bose QCII were not anywhere near - sound wise).

Here is PX7 vs Sennheiser M3:

I (as a "good tight and precise bass" pedant) think he evaluated all just right (you can start at 21:20 where SQ starts and then conclusion).

For me I would (and maybe will :)) pick PX7 ...
The only thing for me is the look. This silver variant is .... for me it looks cheap. I would go the darker variant.

P.S.: He is working on PX7 vs XM3 now and I hope he will compare PX vs PX7 then too.

I'm afraid but I'll have to disagree, the PX and the Momentum 2 Wireless couldn't have a more different sound signature.

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,788 of 2,912
has anyone seen a review (or first- or second-hand impressions) about the sound quality at different ANC levels on the PX7? Besides the comfort, that was the biggest dealbreaker for me on the PXs.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2,789 of 2,912
has anyone seen a review (or first- or second-hand impressions) about the sound quality at different ANC levels on the PX7? Besides the comfort, that was the biggest dealbreaker for me on the PXs.

Press-driven reviews usually don't go in such depth.
I believe you'll have to wait for that from somebody on here or on an independent blog.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,790 of 2,912

I’ve had the PX7 since Monday and yesterday took them on 18 hours of flying. The noise cancelling is substantially improved over the PX. Minimal quality loss even at high, and at least personally my ears don’t work well with the pressure changes so in a travel scenario you’re actually hearing the best possible sound on a plane.

I’ve been constantly impressed by the improvements to ANC. First of all, it is better at blocking noise. Compared to the PX, it just feels quieter (perhaps due to better passive isolation, since the war cups are much, much larger and thicker) and as if more is being blocked. Higher frequency noises still get through, but they’ve clearly optimized their ANC significantly. During on the ground tests, the impact on sound quality is sole loss in what I guess I would call vibrance or emotion on the top end. Need to do more listening but really it’s not the night and day difference that characterizes the PX.

That said, these cans do not sound like the PX (for those who must know, I’ve not done any intentional burn in. Just used for about 30, maybe 40 hours at this point). There is more bass here, and the mids are not nearly as prominent. It reminds me of the P9 on the low end, but dialed back slightly. People who were holding on to their P7s and skipping the PX will probably be happy about the PX7 sound. The PX appears to have been an anomaly in the B&W lineup.

Some other thoughts: I believe the soundstage and separation in the PX7 is larger than the PX. Vocals, for example, may not be as prominently represented as the PX, but the PX7 I think has them better defined and isolated into their lane. This impression may change, I’m still getting to know these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back