Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Aug 2, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #2,731 of 2,912
S̶o̶r̶t̶a̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶i̶c̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶e̶l̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶s̶k̶.̶ ̶A̶s̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶I̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶X̶'̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶5̶0̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶B̶l̶u̶e̶t̶o̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶N̶C̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶I̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶u̶l̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶B̶l̶u̶e̶t̶o̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶d̶e̶v̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶N̶C̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶y̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶d̶r̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶2̶-̶h̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶5̶0̶-̶h̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶(̶d̶r̶o̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶6̶0̶%̶-̶5̶5̶%̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶1̶1̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶b̶a̶c̶k̶.̶)̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶r̶e̶c̶i̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶c̶h̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶5̶0̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶.̶ ̶C̶a̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶h̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶B̶l̶u̶e̶t̶o̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶.̶

Edit- Turns out inaccurate battery level readings was the problem. The pc version of the companion application is way less accurate than the mobile version.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #2,732 of 2,912
Here are some of my photos of the PX:
dsc07257__large_full.jpg
dsc07875__large_full.jpg
dsc07918__large_full.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,734 of 2,912
Picked up the PX in "space grey" a few weeks ago. From what I can tell, I can use the ANC and still listen to MQA files via Tidal on my iPhone X and a Dragonfly Black (wired connection). If this correct? I ask because I know that I can turn off the ANC and use them as "normal" headphones, however, these phones sound absolutely awful with ANC off or set to "office". I have no idea why that is. So, can I use ANC "city" or "flight" and still get MQA or am I hearing things?

Overall, I'm really liking them. The design and build quality is fantastic, the soundstage is wonderful, and the mids and highs are great - although the low end on the P7 is much better. I also really like the quality when listening wirelessly while working and not paying attention to every detail in the music.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #2,735 of 2,912
Picked up the PX in "space grey" a few weeks ago. From what I can tell, I can use the ANC and still listen to MQA files via Tidal on my iPhone X and a Dragonfly Black (wired connection). If this correct? I ask because I know that I can turn off the ANC and use them as "normal" headphones, however, these phones sound absolutely awful with ANC off or set to "office". I have no idea why that is. So, can I use ANC "city" or "flight" and still get MQA or am I hearing things?

Overall, I'm really liking them. The design and build quality is fantastic, the soundstage is wonderful, and the mids and highs are great - although the low end on the P7 is much better. I also really like the quality when listening wirelessly while working and not paying attention to every detail in the music.

Deleted

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #2,736 of 2,912

These headphones are not meant to be run wired, there's no passthrough to them, so your dragonfly black will still go through the headphone DSP. And from my conversion with B&W, there's no way of turning off the internal DSP or to bypass it.

Try using it wireless as intended and see if it sounds better. Do take note it has a break in period. ANC off or office is the best actually, city or flight is the worse in terms of SQ.

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #2,737 of 2,912

I have these headphones and the Dragonfly Red. They do not produce a clear signal when run in cabled mode through the DragonFly. I spoke to B&W and Audioquest and there is a known incompatibility between the DSP in the PXs and the DragonFly. These are the only headphones that have this problem and I believe it because it is impossible to run them in a passive configuration, I.e. not powered on. You would be far better investing in a good quality set of passive reference headphones to connect to the DragonFly and use the PXs when you require the convenience of Bluetooth or ANC capabilities. I have a set of AKG Q701s for in the house and Pioneer SE-CH9T(K) IEMs for in the office.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #2,738 of 2,912
Hi everyone,

I use Deezer HiFi on my android phone (Samsung S10e) and now want buy bluetooth headphones. A friend of mine has Sony WH-1000XM3, I tried them. Wonderful ANC but I didn't like much it's sound. Sound quality is the most important thing to me. So I made some searching on the internet and I read too many reviews point out B&W PX on that subject. I came closer to decide on PX but also saw some comments which say P7 sounds nicer.

So I need your help to make a choice between PX vs. P7.

I have two headphones already. These are Hifiman HE-400 and Sennheiser Momentum (wired one). I like so much how HE-400 sounds. It's perfect for my ears. Soft and balanced maybe huh? I'm not good with hi-fi terms :) I recently bought Hidizs Sonata cable DAC and it's even better sounding now.

And I hate how Momentum sounds. Too sharp sound. Makes my ears fatique and ache. Never feel good on high volumes.

In conclusion, which one do you think will fit my sound taste: PX or P7 ? Or any other model from another brand?

All comments appreciated.

Note: I'm not able to make a try on any store where I live. So, reviews is my one and only source.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,739 of 2,912
I can only compare the PX to the P7 wired (i.e., I don't have the P7 wireless model). For all of my wired headphones, I use my iPhone X or MacBook Pro and a Dragonfly Black and listen to Tidal lossless files. Understanding this, I would say that the P7 can hit lower bass notes vs. the PX, however, the PX has much better soundstage (possibly due to the angled drivers in the ear cups). They are both built well, however, I like the styling of the PX more and they are more portable as they are slightly smaller and fold differently around you neck when you don't have them on. I will also say that the PX are more comfortable, possibly because the padding on the headband is nice and soft, whereas the padding on my P7 is fairly head (and the headphones are heavy). Hope this helps!

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #2,740 of 2,912
I have these headphones and the Dragonfly Red. They do not produce a clear signal when run in cabled mode through the DragonFly. I spoke to B&W and Audioquest and there is a known incompatibility between the DSP in the PXs and the DragonFly. These are the only headphones that have this problem and I believe it because it is impossible to run them in a passive configuration, I.e. not powered on. You would be far better investing in a good quality set of passive reference headphones to connect to the DragonFly and use the PXs when you require the convenience of Bluetooth or ANC capabilities. I have a set of AKG Q701s for in the house and Pioneer SE-CH9T(K) IEMs for in the office.

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense that the PX would bypass the Dragonfly, however, I can absolutely hear a difference when using a Dragonfly Black and MQA files when running the PX wired. I use my P7's (wired) and my new V-Moda M-100 Master's (wired) and also love them!

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,741 of 2,912
I know you said sound quality is most important, but you might want to consider the other features. I'm not sure about the P7's, but I loved the PX's wear sensor, that would automatically pause the music when an earcup is lifted and turn off when they were taken off my head. I replaced my PXs with WH-1000XM3s because of comfort and better noise cancelling, but I accidentally leave my WH's powered on.

Sep 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #2,743 of 2,912
I hear a lot about the discomfort of the PX, however, I find them to be quite comfortable (and I have a big head!).
Yeah I have a big head and big ears and I’m a big guy who is 6’8 , I usually have a problem with finding anything that fits my head weather it’s hard hats at the work site or baseball caps , I was mislead by several reviews that say that the px is not suitable for big heads , and after I tried them on I find them the most suitable and comfortable ones for me among its price/performance contemporaries, comfort wise for me they are great although I am used to my head crushing sennheiser hd380pro so my preference might not be suitable for everyone , what is most important for me comfort wise for people with big ears is the space inside the headphone cups and by far the px wins in this category

Sep 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2,744 of 2,912
For those who are still thinking of buying one , better hurry up , Amazon raised the price up again to 400$ for the gold version , the grey is still on sale

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #2,745 of 2,912
I also find the comfort of the PX fine. Some reviews left me a bit spooked in regards to the sealing. Some found that glasses and hair would affect the seal of the headphones. Having glasses and poofy hair I was afraid I would be unable to get a proper seal. Luckily for me, the headphones had a nice fit on my head and I had no trouble with sealing issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back