Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jun 16, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,701 of 2,912
Our new pair (the one that came with the hard case) seems to have developed a strange noise/friction sound on the left earcup joint. Even moving or rotating or slowly/gently without any pressure makes this cracking noise and you can even „feel“ it not just hear it. Has anybody else come across something like this?

See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mof8sch6cfjwpox/20190616_111639(1).mp4?dl=0

When i turned the earcups inward while they were slid all the way up (meaning smallest possible setting) they made a slight cracking sound.

Jun 16, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #2,702 of 2,912
I can't really figure out the sound signature of the B&W PX's. With a bad seal they seem pretty 'shouty' with over-emphasis on mids. When I make sure to have a good seal (i.e. cutting my hair short and not wearing glasses), they have extremely satisfying bass, to the point where I think they're at least as bassy as my Sony WH-1000xm2's. On top of that they seem to have a very sweet and forwards lower-mids but somewhat rolled-off treble, which make them seem overall darker than the WH-1000xm2's since the latter has a bit of a midrange dip and more sparkly highs whilst having equivalent bass.

TO anyone who's heard both of these cans - would that seem a fair assesement?
That sounds pretty similar to my experience with both the PX and the XM3 (I’ve read that the XM2 and 3 have roughly similar signatures). I find the low end on the PX to be incredibly satisfying, with tastefully boosted subbass that adds thump without sacrificing detail to either the rest of the bass, or to the lower mids. The XM3 though—out of the box—has way more elevation to all of its bass, resulting in a very thick sound with very little detail. Once its low end is trimmed back a few dB with EQ, it starts to sound more equivalent.

The mids on both are very nice, with the PX sounding more detailed and spacious. I do agree that the highs sound nicer on the Sonys, though. By comparison, they sound somewhat “distant” on the PX. But back to your original point, the sound signature of the XM3 is much more conventionally V-shaped, and I guess somewhat L-shaped on the PX. Anyway, B&W did something fairly unique with the PX (between both the signature and the required earcup seal) which probably accounts for so many polarized reviews when it first came out.

Jun 16, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #2,703 of 2,912
That sounds pretty similar to my experience with both the PX and the XM3 (I’ve read that the XM2 and 3 have roughly similar signatures). I find the low end on the PX to be incredibly satisfying, with tastefully boosted subbass that adds thump without sacrificing detail to either the rest of the bass, or to the lower mids. The XM3 though—out of the box—has way more elevation to all of its bass, resulting in a very thick sound with very little detail. Once its low end is trimmed back a few dB with EQ, it starts to sound more equivalent.

The mids on both are very nice, with the PX sounding more detailed and spacious. I do agree that the highs sound nicer on the Sonys, though. By comparison, they sound somewhat “distant” on the PX. But back to your original point, the sound signature of the XM3 is much more conventionally V-shaped, and I guess somewhat L-shaped on the PX. Anyway, B&W did something fairly unique with the PX (between both the signature and the required earcup seal) which probably accounts for so many polarized reviews when it first came out.

Treble detail: 1000XM2 > PX > 1000XM3

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #2,704 of 2,912
I wish that I could say I remember the PX treble detail, but I can't remember with any confidence, but the XM3 has fantastic treble, but as mentioned by a previous poster, you need to trim the stock bloated bass signature back to reveal the potential in the XM3. I found it to be well worth it and I feel pretty confident that of al the Bluetooth headphones I have owned the XM3 is the most musically satisfying. I loved the PX as well, comfort was what made me move to the XM3, but it is the sound that made me stay (and the great comfort).

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #2,706 of 2,912
No, this is just a terrible quality picture of the blue/gold ones :D

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,707 of 2,912
Been having a issue with the pxs over the last few weeks and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

When using in wired mode the headphones will stop playing after about an hour to two hours. The headphones are still powered on but no music plays. A simple turning off and on again solves the problem. Definitely lies with the headphones as has happened with using the Nintendo switch / Sony dap and laptop.

Jun 24, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,708 of 2,912
Been having a issue with the pxs over the last few weeks and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

When using in wired mode the headphones will stop playing after about an hour to two hours. The headphones are still powered on but no music plays. A simple turning off and on again solves the problem. Definitely lies with the headphones as has happened with using the Nintendo switch / Sony dap and laptop.
Could it maybe be the cable? Have you tried a different cable, or the same cable on different headphones?

Jun 27, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #2,709 of 2,912
On an interesting side note, my brother just bought a brand new pair of PXs (with the hard case now obviously) but on his ones the leather on the earcups is significantly (!) softer out of the box than all pairs of PXs I have ever seen or tried. They were brand new and still sealed, so it‘s not like this was a refurbished pair or something like that.

Both pairs that we have at home (one old version with the pouch and one new version with the hardcase) were really hard and stiff on the earcups and while they have gotten softer with time, both are not nearly as soft as his new pair. Maybe not all of them are the same but I found this to be rather surprising...

Jun 27, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #2,710 of 2,912
On an interesting side note, my brother just bought a brand new pair of PXs (with the hard case now obviously) but on his ones the leather on the earcups is significantly (!) softer out of the box than all pairs of PXs I have ever seen or tried. They were brand new and still sealed, so it‘s not like this was a refurbished pair or something like that.

Both pairs that we have at home (one old version with the pouch and one new version with the hardcase) were really hard and stiff on the earcups and while they have gotten softer with time, both are not nearly as soft as his new pair. Maybe not all of them are the same but I found this to be rather surprising...

B&W has clearly made some changes to them without (as far as I know) telling their customers/fans. Would be nice for them to make an announcement, but oh well.

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #2,712 of 2,912
Maybe a good idea to order some replacement pads then?
I'm not sure about that since the other 'new' pair that already came with the hardcase was not different than the 'old version' as far as that is concerned. Both had very stiff leather earcups.

My brother's new pair seem to somewhat have a little thicker padding, while the padding itself is softer. You wouldn't really see it in a picture but you can definitely feel it, wearing or not.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #2,714 of 2,912
I just received my hard case (directly from B&W)

I thought I’d post some pics in case anyone was interested:

E47DA175-2797-40EE-BF36-70B9CAA6C359.jpeg

67C8B1DE-D9A7-4CE4-A780-2ABCD874CFD5.jpeg

B6E22BFD-B910-4F2C-868B-206DF8E08AE3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back