Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jul 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #2,222 of 2,912
One thing I've noticed is that the PX will connect to more than one device and you can get that annoying melody whilst listening to music where it connects/disconnects from the other device.

Only solution I can find is to turn off the BT on other devices - bit of a pain when you've got 3 phones and a watch. It doesn't seem to do it with my iPad for some reason, perhaps because I've never used the iPad with the PX.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2,224 of 2,912
That was totally unnecessary. -_-

Some more tips @Sonic Defender?

Btw. I never ever listen to Indie, but have UnsaneBrains posts now on my Spotify list. :L3000:
I also really like Pitch Black, and another solid recommendation is Phuturprimitive. There is also a really amazing compellation collection titled Saint Germain des Pres Café, there are 18 issues in the series, soon to be 19. In particular after around vol 10. much of the music is very interesting with a strong electronica bent. I also have enjoyed ZeroOne in the past.

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #2,225 of 2,912
I also really like Pitch Black, and another solid recommendation is Phuturprimitive. There is also a really amazing compellation collection titled Saint Germain des Pres Café, there are 18 issues in the series, soon to be 19. In particular after around vol 10. much of the music is very interesting with a strong electronica bent. I also have enjoyed ZeroOne in the past.
Will check them out on the weekend.
Many thanks

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #2,226 of 2,912
Will check them out on the weekend.
Many thanks
No problem. One of the most enjoyable albums I have ever used for headphone listening is from Phutureprimitive, and it is called Sub-conscious. I would start there. Bandcamp has the full albums to preview in decent quality and available as Flac, ALAC, or MP3 if you like it and you download any album you buy numerous times plus use their streaming app so if you don't use Bandcamp (but I suspect that you do) it is worth checking.

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,227 of 2,912
After trying out the PX for a full week, I sent them back. I also got the Sony MX2s the week before so did a straight comparison of the 2 for a week each which included office, street, planes and trains (did the same trip each week). This is how I found them:
SQ - PXs were way better. Much cleaner, phenomenal separation - it was like going from mono to nicam stereo (for those who are old enough to remember), but a little bright. The PXs go much louder than the Sonys do, but the Sonys are loud enough.
NC - Sonys were way better. The PX did a decent job of reducing (not blocking) low frequencies but not as good as the Sonys. The PXs didn't seem to do anything to mid or high frequencies regardless of the NC setting. I was particulary disappointed with the city and office settings I could still hear traffic as normal on city (no different to flight) and the office didnt block out any of typing/chatting noise of my coworkers. The sonys however do suppress mids and highs as well.
UI - Sonys were better. I found the buttons on the PX temperamental, the B&W app is awful as it takes forever to find the headphones if it does at all which is particularly problematic if you are trying to switch modes when travelling. The sensor worked pretty well except when wearing the PX in bed and lying down it would think I had taken them off. By comparison the sonys just worked without any hiccups and although normally I prefer buttons, the touchpad on the earcup works very well. Another thing I liked about the sonys is it seems to have an internal volume control which adds finer volume control to that of my phone. The PX just changed the phone volume and the volume steps on my phone are too big.
Comfort - Sony by a mile. The PXs are so uncomfortable. The PXs earpads are deeper than the Sony but are a lot thinner which means there is more pressure over a smaller area. After about half an hour I just want to take them off. Some have said that this gets better, but I doubt it improves enough and I can't bear wearing them that long. The top of the head also gets uncomfortable (not as bad as my P7s) but I hardly noticed it as the earcup were so uncomfortable. The Sonys are very comfortable, I would prefer the earcup to be deeper, but can happily wear them for several hours.
I wanted to prefer the PX (as I'm quite a B&W fan) - the sound quality was great and could maybe have put up with the finicky UI, terrible app, and okayish NC for the SQ, but they were just far far too uncomfortable.

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #2,228 of 2,912
I wanted to prefer the PX (as I'm quite a B&W fan) - the sound quality was great and could maybe have put up with the finicky UI, terrible app, and okayish NC for the SQ, but they were just far far too uncomfortable.
Absolutely my experience, loved the sound, the comfort was far, far too low to consider keeping them. They became painful for me as well quickly. I have no idea how they would have passed them out of the design prototype stage. If they needed the clamp which obviously they did to achieve the signature, they needed to make the pads more comfortable to mitigate the clamping. Shame as the PX I also found to sound fantastic. Give me the B&W PX with the Sony comfort.

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #2,229 of 2,912
Put me on that train as well. Like I said in other reviews, the PX broke my heart. It wasn't even the clamping, that was fine, it was that the pads were barely existent and sat on that hard plastic ring, which meant that the seal breaks with pretty much anything happening. The only thing I can think is that they were tested by people standing in place who weren't wearing glasses.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #2,230 of 2,912
Yes B&W, send us review samples before final production is approved. In house testing can be very biased and if the PX made it through like that, it tells you something. I have read reviews and impressions all over the Internet. Sure there are some people who say comfort is acceptable (never came across anybody who thought comfort was good) and very often a range of people who found it slightly uncomfortable right up to excruciating. Really can't understand how that would ever happen. The comfort of the design should be equally important to performance. I will guarantee that they needed the combination of material density and clamp force to achieve the seal and tuning approved and comfort while I'm sure important took the back seat. Really poor decision for sure. Who cares how good something sounds if you can't wear it? I tried the PX twice, had to return it each time and I really liked everything else quite a bit.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #2,231 of 2,912
The funny thing is, I'm really tolerant when it comes to headphone comfort. I've had tons of Audeze over the years and didn't mind the weight. The VModa press my ears down and that doesn' feel good. What killed it for me with the PX was just how easy they were to dislodge. I legit would be eating and every time my jaw moved it nudged one of the ear pads and boom the seal was gone. Lord help me if I put on a pair of glasses. Like I'll muscle through some discomfort for great sound, but when even the smallest thing disrupts the audio... yeah, no thanks.

Jul 13, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #2,232 of 2,912
I didn't find the seal breaking that bad (I have my hair very short, which may help) but I did notice it when turning my head.
I think its those thin earpads more so that the clamping force or weight. I also have the EL8T which weighs a ton, but has a lot of padding on the headband and really deep thick earpads, and I find them very comfortable and they produce a very good seal. The EL8T is very good at blocking out external sound that I find them fine for the train but not quite enough on those noisy Flybe propellor planes.
One other thing I forgot to mention in my comparison was when getting on a plane I put flight mode on my phone but then switch Bluetooth back on. The Sony reconnects straight away and I can just carry on. The PX will reconnect but I get no audio, and have to switch the PX off and on again a couple of times for it to play sound.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #2,233 of 2,912
... I was particulary disappointed with the city and office settings I could still hear traffic as normal on city (no different to flight) and the office didnt block out any of typing/chatting noise of my coworkers. The sonys however do suppress mids and highs as well.

The City mode is supposed to let traffic noises in. It even enhances those kind of mid-high frequency sounds. Because it can be a danger to not hear traffic sounds in the city.
And Office mode is supposed to let you hear your coworkers.
Many people wrongly think of the modes (Office, City, Flight) as a continuous scale of NC from low-high effect. But that’s not true. It just different modes for different situations.
But Flight mode does block the most noises.

And you’re totally right that the NC on the Sony is much better! They are the best on that part.

I prefer the PX because of the better sound quality. I don’t normally use NC.
But when I do use NC (as on plane) then I think the Flight mode is good enough for me. It blocks most of that awful low frequency engine sounds.

I did have problems with comfort in the beginning. 7 month later I never think about the comfort anymore. Maybe after a few hours I can get a little sore on the top of my head. But that’s all.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #2,234 of 2,912
I didn't find the seal breaking that bad (I have my hair very short, which may help) but I did notice it when turning my head.

You're 100% right about the pads, but I need to revisit this bit right here. If you notice it when turning your head then that speaks volumes about the problem. No headphone should struggle with "turning your head." I had the exact same problem and that's why these were just a no go.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #2,235 of 2,912
Put me also in the camp of people that have no problems with comfort or seal.

In the beginning the clamp was a bit strong and longer sessions uncomfortable, but after a few weeks of use I have no problems at all.
I use them for my daily commute 2x1 hour, a lot at home and go jogging with them.

I actually like the small footprint of the earcups, especially in the summer in the city and the subway sauna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back