Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jul 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #2,206 of 2,912
Late to the party, but two things about the H9i:
  1. You can turn off the proximity sensor. It's literally in the manual how to do this.
  2. You gotta calibrate the prox sensor anyway. When you turn the set on, don't put them on yet. Just wait until that white light turns off. Any random shutoffs should cease at this point. This is ALSO in the manual.
I'm more than happy to list off some issues I have with the H9i (battery life is rough, ANC affects the sound), but let's make sure that any problems we're having aren't because we neglected to read the instruction booklet.

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #2,207 of 2,912
Thanks but I'd already returned the H9i's to the store and got the PX instead.

I must admit that my buying the Honor 10 was to dip my toes into android once more, especially to see if I could hear a difference between SBC/AAC and aptX HD. I have to say I find it very difficult in a well encoded track.

Someone said a few pages back that aptX HD or LDAC was about as good as it can get on Bluetooth and just to enjoy the music so that's what I intend to do.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #2,208 of 2,912
Thanks but I'd already returned the H9i's to the store and got the PX instead.

I must admit that my buying the Honor 10 was to dip my toes into android once more, especially to see if I could hear a difference between SBC/AAC and aptX HD. I have to say I find it very difficult in a well encoded track.

Someone said a few pages back that aptX HD or LDAC was about as good as it can get on Bluetooth and just to enjoy the music so that's what I intend to do.

Smart man. AAC is essentially the same as aptX and LDAC is if you're going lossless which I can't imagine hardly anyone is doing for a set of bluetooth headphones. I found that AAC sounds better than aptX on a given headset but that's kinda irrelevant if one set sounds better to the ears than the other. Like I think the PX sounds way better with aptX than the WH1000XM2 using LDAC even though the latter has a bitrate of about 3x the former.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #2,209 of 2,912
Yes, so much depends upon the quality of the drivers in the headphones.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #2,212 of 2,912
I've checked them becouse of your recommendation (amongst of those electro-farts from the last page...), liked them instantly and finally landed on their second album 'Devotion'. Listening "the heaviest of storms" on 15 grand home stereo... sounds absolutely breathtaking! Thanks.

Thanks, Tennessee. That's the beauty of music - just clicking through and stumbling upon something you enjoy.

'Devotion' leads on to one of my favourite bands, Beach House [Devotion being their second album]. Will be seeing them live for the third time this coming October. It'll be my wife's second but I fully expect her to fall asleep if we're seated. It does different things to different people.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #2,214 of 2,912
That's an amazing tune for top audio. I'm jealous.
Don't be too jealous, a $5000 home system can sound indistinguishable from a $50 000 system. Price is not the best gauge of audio reproduction.

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #2,215 of 2,912
Being somewhat of a nerd, and having time on my hands due to illness, I decided to find out what the PX sounded like paired with an Apple Watch.

It's not distinguishable from my iPhone which uses the same codec. Now I'm wondering how long the Apple Watch will play for whilst streaming Bluetooth.

Also, a friend online sent me (for free and brand new from Amazon) a bluetooth transmitter which connects to my TV using the 3.5mm jack, the other end plugged into one of the TV's USB ports. The sound is terrible. I'm sure there has to be better models out there.

The idea was that I could listen through my BT ear/headphones whilst watching TV but this thing sounds like a 96kbps MP2 file with a constant hum in the background. It's like stereo BT sounded 10 years ago, maybe worse. The only thing acceptable was the range.

Luckily, I've got a Sony Hi-Fi which I pipe my TV audio through. It receives BT audio too, just a shame neither it nor the TV have a transmitter built in.

I don't use my Apple Watch very much and I'd forgotten how good it feels to be able to control the audio via my wrist. It's a pity the watch only holds around 250 songs.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,217 of 2,912
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #2,219 of 2,912
Apologies for any offence caused. It was tongue in cheek comment.
No offense taken, I was wondering if you meant it as tongue in cheek. Sometimes the Internet isn't great at context framing. Cheers, and no worries at all, I know exactly how you meant your comment now.

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #2,220 of 2,912
Being somewhat of a nerd, and having time on my hands due to illness, I decided to find out what the PX sounded like paired with an Apple Watch.

It's not distinguishable from my iPhone which uses the same codec. Now I'm wondering how long the Apple Watch will play for whilst streaming Bluetooth.

Also, a friend online sent me (for free and brand new from Amazon) a bluetooth transmitter which connects to my TV using the 3.5mm jack, the other end plugged into one of the TV's USB ports. The sound is terrible. I'm sure there has to be better models out there.

The idea was that I could listen through my BT ear/headphones whilst watching TV but this thing sounds like a 96kbps MP2 file with a constant hum in the background. It's like stereo BT sounded 10 years ago, maybe worse. The only thing acceptable was the range.

Luckily, I've got a Sony Hi-Fi which I pipe my TV audio through. It receives BT audio too, just a shame neither it nor the TV have a transmitter built in.

I don't use my Apple Watch very much and I'd forgotten how good it feels to be able to control the audio via my wrist. It's a pity the watch only holds around 250 songs.

If it's the same codec, all devices should (in theory) sound the exact same. It's one bonus of wireless I hadn't really taken into account earlier in my headphone journey. Doesn't matter what you're streaming to as long as it's the same file and the same codec. I haven't found too many bluetooth dongles worth a damn, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back