Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jul 3, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #2,191 of 2,912
I almost miss my B & O H9is because of their removable battery but the capacitive earcup problem meant that they had to go back.

With no noise-cancelling, I managed 23 hours and 12 minutes usage on the PX. That's quite respectable, I think. It was made up of chunks of 3 hours here, 4 hours there etc.

I've barely picked up my PXC-550s since getting the PX but the sound quality is equally good on both of them. I keep the Sennheiser charged on a door knob of a cupboard.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #2,192 of 2,912
Looking for feedback from owners of the PX that have used them for a lengthy period...

I love the SQ these provide but I am not enjoying the low to medium mids when the track gets busy. Have you found this improves over time with burn in (mythical or not) ?

I have used my PXs for around 35hrs (solely listening, no burn in tracks) and while they improved after 10hrs they seem to hit a wall, possible need more time.

Rock sounds by far the worst of the genres mostly sounding very messy and clustered and generally unlistenable. I am using BT via AptXHD.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/bowers-wilkins/px

Comments on the mids in this analysis are similar to my experience (although they review with the ANC office setting on ?!). I am hoping they didn't give the PXs time to settle in.

I really like these headphones and hope that this is rectified after nose usage.

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #2,194 of 2,912
Personally I don´t believe in burn-in, other then QA testing at the factory for a period of time.
The burn-in has more to do with your brain/ears adjusting to the sound signature, IMO.

PS: Keep the song suggestions coming, I like your taste. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #2,195 of 2,912
Personally I don´t believe in burn-in, other then QA testing at the factory for a period of time.
The burn-in has more to do with your brain/ears adjusting to the sound signature, IMO.

PS: Keep the song suggestions coming, I like your taste. :wink:

I totally agree with the psychological aspect when it comes to burn in as without a doubt in my eyes (and ears) the brain is adapting to sound/signiture.

But this weekend has shown me that with the PXs burn in is MOST DEFINITELY real.

I have 2 pairs here that need to be returned to B&W both purchased with the pair I'm keeping (used for about 40-45 hrs). The other 2 pairs have not been used at all. When packing them up to return back it struck me that I could finally see if burn in actually existed as I could do a direct comparison with the pair I use ... So I did.

The was a obivious difference between the two. The new pair sounded like a sound trapped or boxed in compared to my used pair. Soft, distant and compressed. I imagined it as trapped in a Christmas cracker. The sound after burn in is when the cracker is pulled ... boom. It's that obivious when comparing the HPs directly.

I was skeptical of the burn in myth but I am 100% convinced now. I think it's a combination of both burn in and the brain adjusting that causes the eureka moment of "damn these are beautiful sounding cans'. Although I believe burn in only takes around 10-30 hours and then the rest of the time is adapting to the sound, not scientific but with my experiences with the cans - which I love btw.

I think my issue with the low mids and cluttered mid range is that I am not listening to a lot of rock more electronic/classical. My only issue with the headphones comes when listening to rock or metal ... Maybe I need time to get used to what they sound like on the PXs.

I have received the Sony 1000mk2 ... While curious about LDAC sound I might just leave them sealed and sell them on as I am so happy with the PXs. ANC comes second place to sound for me.

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,197 of 2,912
I think thats the B&W "house sound" you are noticing, I read here and there about it.
I.E: http://noaudiophile.com/Bowers_and_Wilkins_686_S2/
"Going back to the quote from Stereophile, why don't B&W speakers measure as well as they could? I've come to realize while reviewing these that it's because B&W doesn't want them to. These speakers have a well engineered cabinet, really nice drivers, and a crossover that while technically **** is made out of nice stuff. They have the ability to make accurate speakers, but instead choose to make something different. These speakers sound exactly how B&W wants them to sound. It's not my cup of tea, but from the rabid followers out there it is obvious that a few people like it."

I already checked out the Song for Alpha album when you first mentioned it and also the Balance 029 by James Zabiela, I liked them both.

Two recommendations from me:
Synaptic by Pascal FEOS
and

I also like Solee and his Parquet Recordings a lot.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,201 of 2,912
I almost miss my B & O H9is because of their removable battery but the capacitive earcup problem meant that they had to go back.

With no noise-cancelling, I managed 23 hours and 12 minutes usage on the PX. That's quite respectable, I think. It was made up of chunks of 3 hours here, 4 hours there etc.

I've barely picked up my PXC-550s since getting the PX but the sound quality is equally good on both of them. I keep the Sennheiser charged on a door knob of a cupboard.

Late to the party, but two things about the H9i:
  1. You can turn off the proximity sensor. It's literally in the manual how to do this.
  2. You gotta calibrate the prox sensor anyway. When you turn the set on, don't put them on yet. Just wait until that white light turns off. Any random shutoffs should cease at this point. This is ALSO in the manual.
I'm more than happy to list off some issues I have with the H9i (battery life is rough, ANC affects the sound), but let's make sure that any problems we're having aren't because we neglected to read the instruction booklet.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #2,203 of 2,912
I think thats the B&W "house sound" you are noticing, I read here and there about it.
I.E: http://noaudiophile.com/Bowers_and_Wilkins_686_S2/

I already checked out the Song for Alpha album when you first mentioned it and also the Balance 029 by James Zabiela, I liked them both.

Two recommendations from me:
Synaptic by Pascal FEOS
and

I also like Solee and his Parquet Recordings a lot.

Check out Bluetech, the album I most feel you would like is called Sines and Singularities. Bandcamp is a great spot if you feel like having a listen. I liked the track you listed. I'll check out the other posters track soon.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #2,204 of 2,912
Yes, burn -in is largely getting used to the sound signsture. When i first got my PX i didn't like the sound much but after much listening now like it a lot.

It can also get confusing if you have very many BT phones and earphones to choose from and you switch them out frequently.

I love the sound of my momentum frees - such powerful sound from tiny earphones. £170 is what they were, which some people say is too expensive for rounf the neck buds but I think they're great. Only complaint is battery life at just 6 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back