Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Jan 5, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,621 of 2,912
F057DA06-0AFF-4129-809C-AF8E985D12AA.jpeg
Thanks a lot for your kind answers, I already ordered a Lightning to USB 3.0 camera connector (powered versión) I hope to receive it by next tuesday.

I will try it to connect the PX wired through USB to my iPhone and let you know about it.

Thanks again.

No issues connecting to my iPhone 7 via the CCK3. It does require a power source to be plugged in however.
Here’s a pic. I have it connected through bluetooth as well and switched back and forth - I couldn’t tell the difference in SQ.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,622 of 2,912
Hey guys,

I’ve been following this thread for a while and decided to pull the trigger on the PX’s, so thanks to everyone who posts here!

I tried the P7W’s about a year ago and decided they weren’t for me, mostly based on comfort and fit issues (i.e. pressure on the top of my head from the headband), but really loved them and was sad it didn’t work out. Even though people on here have been saying that the PX’s haven’t dramatically changed the comfort level compared to the P7W’s, I thought I’d give them a try myself because I loved the P7W’s so much.

With the PX’s, I still get the same “sore spot” on the top of my head after 30 minutes or so, which I think I can suck up and get used to. However, one thing that I was hoping people here could weigh in on is this: Do the PX’s fall forward on your head when you look down? Since I’m using these on the go during my commute and at the office, it’s happening a lot and I don’t remember this happening at all with the P7W. Perhaps the clamping force was tighter on the P7W and prevented this from happening.

Here are some scenarios that I experienced in a single day which caused the headband to move forward to the point where I had to readjust the headband position for fear of them falling off my head:
  • Looking down to watch my feet while descending a flight of stairs
  • Looking down at my desk while writing
  • Looking down to open a bottom desk drawer
  • Looking down to throw something in a waste bin
  • Looking down to find the zipper on my coat and zip it up
  • Sneezing
Am I being too picky here or are others experiencing this too?

Thanks so much!!
I haven't noticed this at all. Perhaps it's because I have a large head and the headphones are extended all the way. Not sure.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #1,623 of 2,912
Hi. Have read trough the whole tread earlier. But can't find what I'm looking for now. Bought the PX today. The guy in the shop told me to upgrade the firmware. And he told me to use the USB and program form the PC in stead of the Bluetooth way Because this would take much longer time. So i did ... Connected to the iMac and run the update. Got an error in the end. But the right firmware version was showing. But after that the headphones were dead! Can get a green light, and a light blue/whiteish light. But no functionality! Cant connect to any devices, and not to any of the apps! Did anyone fin a solution for this? Tried the reset button.
Sorry to hear this. Hope you're able to straighten it out.

FYI for next time--a Bluetooth update doesn't take all that long. Probably 15-20 minutes.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #1,624 of 2,912
Hey guys,

I’ve been following this thread for a while and decided to pull the trigger on the PX’s, so thanks to everyone who posts here!

I tried the P7W’s about a year ago and decided they weren’t for me, mostly based on comfort and fit issues (i.e. pressure on the top of my head from the headband), but really loved them and was sad it didn’t work out. Even though people on here have been saying that the PX’s haven’t dramatically changed the comfort level compared to the P7W’s, I thought I’d give them a try myself because I loved the P7W’s so much.

With the PX’s, I still get the same “sore spot” on the top of my head after 30 minutes or so, which I think I can suck up and get used to. However, one thing that I was hoping people here could weigh in on is this: Do the PX’s fall forward on your head when you look down? Since I’m using these on the go during my commute and at the office, it’s happening a lot and I don’t remember this happening at all with the P7W. Perhaps the clamping force was tighter on the P7W and prevented this from happening.

Here are some scenarios that I experienced in a single day which caused the headband to move forward to the point where I had to readjust the headband position for fear of them falling off my head:
  • Looking down to watch my feet while descending a flight of stairs
  • Looking down at my desk while writing
  • Looking down to open a bottom desk drawer
  • Looking down to throw something in a waste bin
  • Looking down to find the zipper on my coat and zip it up
  • Sneezing
Am I being too picky here or are others experiencing this too?

Thanks so much!!

Have you tried these?

upload_2018-1-6_0-34-42.png

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #1,625 of 2,912
Sorry to hear this. Hope you're able to straighten it out.

FYI for next time--a Bluetooth update doesn't take all that long. Probably 15-20 minutes.

Thanks. Going back to the shop with them today. I reckon I can get a new pair without any hassle.
Is this somethings that only happens when updating trough a cable and PC? Is updating via bluetooth more safe?

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #1,626 of 2,912
Got a new set now. Updated via bluetooth from my Samsung 7. Did get an error message in the late prosess. But they turned on alright and both app on the phone and program on PC shows new firmware. Is there any other problem that can occour because of this error. Or should this be ok now?

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,628 of 2,912
I haven't noticed this at all. Perhaps it's because I have a large head and the headphones are extended all the way. Not sure.

Thanks Sound Man, good to know. I was playing around with the positioning of the band on my head and if I place it further towards the back of my skull, it mostly prevents the problem, but a) it’s a “sweet spot” on my head that takes more time to get the cans positioned properly, and b) the ear cups are angled 10-15 degrees backwards rather than being more or less vertical. Will keep messing around with them.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #1,629 of 2,912
Thanks Sound Man, good to know. I was playing around with the positioning of the band on my head and if I place it further towards the back of my skull, it mostly prevents the problem, but a) it’s a “sweet spot” on my head that takes more time to get the cans positioned properly, and b) the ear cups are angled 10-15 degrees backwards rather than being more or less vertical. Will keep messing around with them.
I'm curious to read other users' experiences because mine don't move whatsoever. Anyone else with a small or medium size head willing to share your experience?

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,630 of 2,912
Thanks. Going back to the shop with them today. I reckon I can get a new pair without any hassle.
Is this somethings that only happens when updating trough a cable and PC? Is updating via bluetooth more safe?
I'm not sure about more or less safe via Bluetooth, but B&W didn't recommend using a cable over Bluetooth. From what I can recall, the instructions almost assume that you'll use Bluetooth and the cable is a fallback option. Does that sound correct?

It is interesting though because some other products recommend using a cable when updating firmware, such as using ethernet instead of WiFi for a router update.

I've done 2 updates via Bluetooth from my iPhone 7 without issues. Anyone else experience an issue updating but still show the latest firmware in your app?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #1,631 of 2,912
Hi everyone, does anybody know if these cans can be used in wired mode with an iPhone through usb-c to lightning cable?

I’ve try it with my iPhone X, but I didn’t get them work toghether with such connection, do I mised something for specific configuration or any App? Shall it be worthy to try it with a different cable?

I would appreciate any answer, thanks in advance.

As long as you use “lightning to USB 3 camera adapter” and remain connected to a power source, the PX can connect to an IPhone or IPad using the USB C.

Here is the Apple adapter I’m referring to: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...9265575279b4610d8f9565a1b8d9c52eb2abec613ebea

It’s rather clunky to set up this way. Given that there isn’t a massive pickup in sound quality versus Bluetooth (to my ears), I’ve gravitated toward the convenience of Bluetooth when on the move. For times when I’m planning on being stationary for awhile, the better bet is to use a Apple certified Portable DAC/AMP. I currently use a Sony PHA 1A portable DAC/AMP connected direct to Apple IPhone 7plus or IPad Air2. This setup works very well For upping the volume limit and sound quality vs wireless connection via the native Apple bluetooth Codec. Even my Sennheiser HD700’s work well with this setup.

Hope this helps.

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #1,632 of 2,912
I'm not sure about more or less safe via Bluetooth, but B&W didn't recommend using a cable over Bluetooth. From what I can recall, the instructions almost assume that you'll use Bluetooth and the cable is a fallback option. Does that sound correct?

It is interesting though because some other products recommend using a cable when updating firmware, such as using ethernet instead of WiFi for a router update.

I've done 2 updates via Bluetooth from my iPhone 7 without issues. Anyone else experience an issue updating but still show the latest firmware in your app?

Didnt know that B&W didn´t recommend cable. Did what the guy in the shop told me. And in my thinking a cable would always be a safer bet than a bluetooth connection.
Get a bit uncertain about this last update. Something failed. But the phones are working and all apps and programs shows the latest firmware. So not quite sure what to make of it? Is something wrong and will show up with time ? Firmware would not have anything to do with SQ would it?

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,633 of 2,912
Wow ... Possible deal breaker: Have been breaking these in, and they sound better and better I think! BUT, they leak as hell. Did expert some leakage since the cushions isn't that thick. But didn't realize that is was so bad. Asked my wife to tell me where she couldn't hear it anymore. And just how much I had to turn them down before she nodded her head scared me!

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,634 of 2,912
Wow ... Possible deal breaker: Have been breaking these in, and they sound better and better I think! BUT, they leak as hell. Did expert some leakage since the cushions isn't that thick. But didn't realize that is was so bad. Asked my wife to tell me where she couldn't hear it anymore. And just how much I had to turn them down before she nodded her head scared me!

Yeah I noticed this too. I put them flat on my lap and used the palm of my hand to completely cover the ear cups and there’s quite a lot of leakage - definitely enough for the people who sit beside me at the office or on the train to hear if I’m listening loud. It’s nothing close to an open back headphone but it’s not “silent”.

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #1,635 of 2,912
Yeah I noticed this too. I put them flat on my lap and used the palm of my hand to completely cover the ear cups and there’s quite a lot of leakage - definitely enough for the people who sit beside me at the office or on the train to hear if I’m listening loud. It’s nothing close to an open back headphone but it’s not “silent”.
That people can hear what I'm listening to when listening loud I can live with. But this is not loud AT ALL! :-O
I sold my H9 for these since I never really got happy with the sound in the H9. Before that I had the H8. Really liked the sound of them but not the fit and stability on the head.
So this is too bad since I really like the fit and the sound of the PX. Really thought that I found the perfect pair of headphones this time!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back