Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #1,322 of 2,912
I’ve now taken 2 more trips with the Px. When they are positioned properly they sound fantastic. I believe getting a good seal from the ear pads is critical. I tried to listen with sunglasses on and the change in sound was dramatic. This was the only time I could see why some people might describe the Px as thin or like listening through a tube. The arms of the sunglasses caused a small break in the seal of the ear pads which caused a large drop in sound pressure. Taking the sunglasses off brought back the enjoyment. Still enjoying these!

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #1,323 of 2,912
I’ve now taken 2 more trips with the Px. When they are positioned properly they sound fantastic. I believe getting a good seal from the ear pads is critical. I tried to listen with sunglasses on and the change in sound was dramatic. This was the only time I could see why some people might describe the Px as thin or like listening through a tube. The arms of the sunglasses caused a small break in the seal of the ear pads which caused a large drop in sound pressure. Taking the sunglasses off brought back the enjoyment. Still enjoying these!

I’ve definitely noticed this issue with the seal too. Which tbh is a bit of a design flaw in what is a mobile headphone. When I’ve worn them out I notice the seal can break when I turn my head, and obviously that’s going to be happening a bit when your mobile.

Still, overall these are the best Bluetooth headphones I’ve tried. Every can has its flaws.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,325 of 2,912
considering the issues that is hounding the PX, I'm considering staying off of it for another year before I would decide to keep one. right now, B&W have to address these concerns. as of the moment, the P7W would be a much more appropriate purchase in a good deal. hope to find one for 50% off this upcoming yuletide season.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,327 of 2,912
Nov 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #1,328 of 2,912
Quick tip RE: the fit. In addition to having a good seal & wearing them a "little forward/up" as mentioned previously thread, I've noticed that having the headphones aligned vertically helps out with soundstage/presentation as well. I think the best perspective to think about this is by taking off the pads and looking at the driver while asking the question: "How would this present it's best image to my ear?"

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,329 of 2,912
Just bought this a couple days ago and I also noticed that the sound is thin (I wear glasses). The second I take my glasses off and get a good seal, the bass is restored.

What’s strange is that if I enable the stronger noise cancellation modes (City or Flight) the bass comes back despite me wearing glasses. It isn’t any stronger compared to when I take the glasses off and create a good seal though. Go figure. I don’t think I’ve ever worn another pair of headphones where the bass is so severely affected by glasses for me.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #1,330 of 2,912
It works. My source is an LG V30. If anything, it sounds great but volume doesn't go as high as analog cable or wireless.

I noticed this as well (with both Pixel 2 XL and Macbook Pro via usb-c). Worth probably noting tho that the cans still get quite loud. I find myself listening somewhere between 30-70% of the volume possible.

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #1,332 of 2,912
I heard these yesterday. It has a weird nasal effect and the mids are hollow.

I would not call this the new P7W.

So far, I expected a little bit more of the 2017 Bluetooth headphones.

Overall I would say, I like the Sony WH-1000XM2 the best so far as the ANC after calibration is by far the best and it features an app (which i think is an excellent idea and something that I was also looking for)

I think i will wait for 2018 as I think bluetooth headphones have room for improvement still.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #1,333 of 2,912
Just bought this a couple days ago and I also noticed that the sound is thin (I wear glasses). The second I take my glasses off and get a good seal, the bass is restored.

What’s strange is that if I enable the stronger noise cancellation modes (City or Flight) the bass comes back despite me wearing glasses. It isn’t any stronger compared to when I take the glasses off and create a good seal though. Go figure. I don’t think I’ve ever worn another pair of headphones where the bass is so severely affected by glasses for me.

I agree. This is the only real concern for me. It’s impossible to get good sound while wearing sunglasses.
Also just by tilting my head in different ways makes the seal break sometimes and it can affect the bass, NC and also the wear sensor.

But I love these cans overall. The sound is amazing when wearing them right.
And for me (who don’t wear glasses) I don’t have much problems with them. But I understand that they may be unusable for people with glasses.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #1,334 of 2,912
The seal concern is enough for me to not consider this HP since I wear glasses, but just the fact that this is a portable device so one is moving about with it, so it should be designed as such. I don't remember people complaining about this with the 7W.

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #1,335 of 2,912
It works. My source is an LG V30. If anything, it sounds great but volume doesn't go as high as analog cable or wireless.

There is a little trick to sort that. USB Audio Player Pro has hardware volume sliders built in. You can use those to increase the volume when connected via USB .. I discovered this little trick while figuring out why my Dragonfly Red sounded so soft, but it works similarly with the PX connected via USB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back