Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 21, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,292 of 2,912
Like others have said previously, the sound really changes depending on the position or seal on your head. I find that if I have a perfect seal around my ears the sound really comes to life. If i wear a hat, causing the top part of the padding to lose seal, the sound becomes open and very distant or as some have described, boxy and hollow. I keep the sides of my head shaved close most of the time so getting a good seal is not a problem for me. I wonder if some of the people in this thread have long hair at the sides are not getting a proper seal and are experiencing the hollow sound.

Exactly my experience ... A good seal is crucial for these cans.

Also, try wearing them a little forward. Something about moving them forward a bit opens the soundstage to it's (probably) intended image.

I think you guys are missing a point. You need to use another headphone (preferably, the best one you can have or find) as a reference and make a side by side comparison. Otherwise a "brain burn in" will be unavoidable. Human brain is perfect for adapting things including sounds. Yes you're right, wearing positions can change sound, but even with the perfect position (believe me, I tested all positions except headstand wear :p ) PX was nowhere near to P7 Wireless. So I had to returned it. I'm saying "had to" because I loved the idea a P7W with ANC & AptX HD. But PX isn't it. PX sound is really bad when comparing it with P7W side by side.

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,293 of 2,912
Not sure I agree, I find the PX much more pleasant to listen to with jazz, acoustic music, and everything that has natural, non electronic sounds in it. It's a bit more dynamic, and a bit clearer, but it's signature sound is less "physical", so I think I understand what you mean

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #1,294 of 2,912
For me, the P5 was exciting when I first got it. Then to me it felt like I was missing out on many details, as compared to my other fun can which is M-100. PX for me has no pressure on top of my huge head (7 5/8th new era cap size) and I feel like I’m getting to hear all details of music from a 40mm driver can. The wireless has been the cherry on top, and all connectivity has been smooth and effortless.
I’m quite happy with PX, because I feel like it needs less volume to get the message across. Pretty nice soundstage, nice tight bass, no pain from sibilance. At first I thought PX would be commute only, but I been enjoying them a lot sitting around in an apartment on vacation.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #1,295 of 2,912
I think you guys are missing a point. You need to use another headphone (preferably, the best one you can have or find) as a reference and make a side by side comparison. Otherwise a "brain burn in" will be unavoidable. Human brain is perfect for adapting things including sounds. Yes you're right, wearing positions can change sound, but even with the perfect position (believe me, I tested all positions except headstand wear :p ) PX was nowhere near to P7 Wireless. So I had to returned it. I'm saying "had to" because I loved the idea a P7W with ANC & AptX HD. But PX isn't it. PX sound is really bad when comparing it with P7W side by side.

Not missing any points and have compared directly to other cans including: Blue MoFi, Sennheiser HD1, Beats Studio3.0, Bose Wc35, Audeze iSine20, 1more Quad Driver, and probably a few others. Please don’t assume people with high post counts are missing calibration to your point. It’s likely that they migh even have more experience and perspectives to share.

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #1,297 of 2,912
just got these yesterday. Minidisc in Sydney now has stock fwiw.

So far so good.

I like these as a casual listening headphone. They definitely suffer if there isn’t a good seal, and the drivers definitely have a sweet spot. If you don’t get them lined up correctly the SQ can suffer. Presume this is related to the angled drivers?

No problem for me with the wear sensor, seems to work well.

Overall pretty happy with the purchase.

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #1,298 of 2,912

Yeah, that was the case for me too.

It's funny because every time I look at noise cancelling, I end up spending a bunch of money in the other direction. I started by getting the P7 over the QC35s/MDR100x for travel, now I just bought a bunch of DACs, amps, and other headphones after looking into the PX :cry:

Anyway, for me, after trying the P9s, PX, and some spendy orthos, the TH-X00 Mahogany are the sound evolution of the P7 wireless. Note, they are not wireless - in fact their cable is massive. They don't have noise cancelling, and they're not portable. But they sound fecking amazing if you like the P7 wireless. I'm using them with a Chord Mojo, but about to try them with a Jotunheim.

My P7s will continue on as my wireless / travel headset and the Fostex will take over as my home rig.

It's funny because I got the P7s to be travel portable for airplanes and couldn't wait to get rid of the wires (from my PSB M4U2s - new version of those coming out!), and now in the last week I've taken three flights with my mojo / P7 set up and have more wires than ever.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #1,300 of 2,912
Another Minidisk Sydney order arrived today. Very much prefer the look of these, I was never really comfortable with the blingyness of the P7W. They also feel a bit lighter on the head. But I do wish they could find a way to attach to headband into the top of the cups so the yokes doesn't stick out so far from your head.

The wear sensor is patchy out of the box, when I lift the ear cup, the music pauses for a few seconds then usually restarts before I put it back down. That doesn't matter hugely to me, the wear features would be nice but I'd still prefer these cosmetically as long as they sound at least as good as the P7W.

SQ out of the box is okay, definitely more balanced/less V-shaped than the P7W. But there is a boxiness about the bass and they lack a bit of treble sparkle. These will want to improve a bit. Pink noise treatment coming up...

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #1,301 of 2,912
It works. My source is an LG V30. If anything, it sounds great but volume doesn't go as high as analog cable or wireless.
Great news, thank you. I've been hoping to get an answer about this. Does the battery on the PX drain when it's connected to your phone via USB? I'm wondering if after the headphone battery dies, they'd still be usable via USB-C?

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #1,302 of 2,912
Great news, thank you. I've been hoping to get an answer about this. Does the battery on the PX drain when it's connected to your phone via USB? I'm wondering if after the headphone battery dies, they'd still be usable via USB-C?
The source will power the headphones. The caveat is that your source will drain faster than usual.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #1,303 of 2,912

This simply is a matter of taste ... I still own the P7W and the Sennheiser HD1, as well as the Sony 1000XM2 ... There are times that I admit I do prefer the P7W, but that is only for a certain selection of albums where the fun factor and pronounced bass signature of the P7W come into play. But overall from all these cans I prefer the PX on most other music types. The HD1 still are fine cans, but I find them a tad too warm and not bright enough. The Sony are strictly in use for flying ..

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,304 of 2,912
This simply is a matter of taste ... I still own the P7W and the Sennheiser HD1, as well as the Sony 1000XM2 ... There are times that I admit I do prefer the P7W, but that is only for a certain selection of albums where the fun factor and pronounced bass signature of the P7W come into play. But overall from all these cans I prefer the PX on most other music types. The HD1 still are fine cans, but I find them a tad too warm and not bright enough. The Sony are strictly in use for flying ..

Agree. I have a similar PX/QC35 split use case. I use the BlueMoFi for the FUN bass kick the On+ mode affords. I've done direct P7/MoFi comparisons between myself and friends and it was universally in favor of the MoFi and thus I never quite got back into evaluating the P7 again after that. I'm quite fond of how much more neutral, open and resolving the PX is and it justified the purchase. Along with the other things I've described.

Nov 22, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,305 of 2,912

I currently own a month old 1000Xm2 and have a buyer for it. I would need to add around 100$ to get new PX.
PX arrived in local shop couple of days ago. Today, I tried the out quickly. Didn't have enough time to audition them properly. I plan to go back to the shop again when I'll have at least an hour...
First impressions: comfort, portability, ANC on side of Sony; design, feel, SQ on side of PX
I realize that true comfort test will be couple of day of use. ANC too.

With Sony, I enjoy sound booth effect to relax at home when kids watch TV or play, or at work to erase office noises. I'm afraid that I'll miss it.
I'm also afraid that ear pads pressure that I felt will be problematic with longer sessions. I also felt some top of the head pressure...

Please give some more arguments and what to look for in next audition. I know it's been discussed and I've read every post here, but I guess there are more users that could compare these two directly after they received their PXs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back