Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 20, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #1,276 of 2,912
I returned my gold PXs due to the ticking fault and bought a pair of grey ones to replace them. Much more understated, not sure which ones I prefer looks wise. I had burned in the previous pair for ~20hrs and thought there was a slight improvement in sound but straight out the box the new pair sound exactly the same so I guess it was just me getting used to the sound / placebo effect. Still having plenty of BT connection issues on the train so I expect this is the old phone. Doing some back to back testing with the Amperiors and I think they have a similar neutral sound but with the PXs having a slightly richer bass. The PXs do have a better sound stage as well. Yello's Planet Dada (Flamboyant) sounded phenomenal, great detail, seperation, and powerful punchy bass.

Compared them to my mates Sony 1000x and we both agreed the PXs were the better sounding of the two, tighter powerful bass and more detail. The ANC on the 1000x is of course better. They're certainly doing the job for me anyway, won't be returning this pair.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #1,277 of 2,912
Compared them to my mates Sony 1000x and we both agreed the PXs were the better sounding of the two, tighter powerful bass and more detail. The ANC on the 1000x is of course better. They're certainly doing the job for me anyway, won't be returning this pair.
The ANC is really good. Problem with the Sonys is that they feel really cheap and sound somewhat artificial to me. Sadly I can't just smash both of them together to get the perfect headphones for me.. :wink:

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,278 of 2,912
Despite never having listened to any B&W headphones, I've had some real interest in these since their announcement, mostly because I've been wanting a decent pair of wireless headphones since getting an iPhone 8+. I've been following professional and use reviews alike, reading each post in this thread along the way. My lovely wife took note and bought me a pair for my birthday. Here's my after-5-hours-of-listening 2¢:

I'm honestly surprised that I read so many luke-warm or straight up negative first impressions about the sound quality. From the first few (streaming, compressed, Apple Music) songs I listened to, I thought it had a pleasant, inoffensive presentation. Nothing is shouty, nothing "stands out"—and I mean that in a good way.

My goal for these is passive listening while doing chores around the house, or late-night computer work, and because of that, I appreciate the smooth frequency response, from top to bottom, and its ability to really kick in on dynamics when called for. It gives me the ability to listen at a conservative level and not feel like I'm missing anything. I will say that they are pretty neutral in my opinion, lacking some of the "V" or "U" shape that some people may be after, and because of that they could be perceived as a little boring? But to me it's a clear, gentle presentation that I find enjoyable for casual listening.

The "case" is useless and the "fold flat" (in)ability is awkward, but I love the looks and build quality. I wore them for 3 hours straight last night and had no discomfort with the headband or ear cups, the latter of which nicely sit around my ears entirely.

I've listened with BT and USB and both sound great; no experience with analog cable as of yet. Having been familiar with so many firmware issues people have been experiencing, I updated and fully charged them before listening for the first time and have had no connectivity issues. I've only noticed that they switch off rather quickly after music stops, which is kind of annoying. They are thankfully much louder than all other wireless headphones I've tried, and I think lossless music through the USB-C connection sounded superb.

If you've read this far you'll notice I've said nothing about ANC... I honestly don't care about it and likely won't use it. I won't use these anywhere but in my quiet home after my family has gone to bed, so there's no need to muck up the sound with unnecessary circuitry. FWIW, I tried each ANC mode for part of a song and was pretty unimpressed with both ANC and the resulting SQ, but that's no different than any NC headphones I've tried in the past, which includes the QC35,1000X, Beats.

I'll likely write a full review once I've really lived with them, but needless to say I'm very happy with them and think I'll only get happier with further break-in of drivers and ear pads (assuming I don't run into firmware/BT/connectivity issues).

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,279 of 2,912
Despite never having listened to any B&W headphones, I've had some real interest in these since their announcement, mostly because I've been wanting a decent pair of wireless headphones since getting an iPhone 8+. I've been following professional and use reviews alike, reading each post in this thread along the way. My lovely wife took note and bought me a pair for my birthday. Here's my after-5-hours-of-listening 2¢:

I'm honestly surprised that I read so many luke-warm or straight up negative first impressions about the sound quality. From the first few (streaming, compressed, Apple Music) songs I listened to, I thought it had a pleasant, inoffensive presentation. Nothing is shouty, nothing "stands out"—and I mean that in a good way.

My goal for these is passive listening while doing chores around the house, or late-night computer work, and because of that, I appreciate the smooth frequency response, from top to bottom, and its ability to really kick in on dynamics when called for. It gives me the ability to listen at a conservative level and not feel like I'm missing anything. I will say that they are pretty neutral in my opinion, lacking some of the "V" or "U" shape that some people may be after, and because of that they could be perceived as a little boring? But to me it's a clear, gentle presentation that I find enjoyable for casual listening.

The "case" is useless and the "fold flat" (in)ability is awkward, but I love the looks and build quality. I wore them for 3 hours straight last night and had no discomfort with the headband or ear cups, the latter of which nicely sit around my ears entirely.

I've listened with BT and USB and both sound great; no experience with analog cable as of yet. Having been familiar with so many firmware issues people have been experiencing, I updated and fully charged them before listening for the first time and have had no connectivity issues. I've only noticed that they switch off rather quickly after music stops, which is kind of annoying. They are thankfully much louder than all other wireless headphones I've tried, and I think lossless music through the USB-C connection sounded superb.

If you've read this far you'll notice I've said nothing about ANC... I honestly don't care about it and likely won't use it. I won't use these anywhere but in my quiet home after my family has gone to bed, so there's no need to muck up the sound with unnecessary circuitry. FWIW, I tried each ANC mode for part of a song and was pretty unimpressed with both ANC and the resulting SQ, but that's no different than any NC headphones I've tried in the past, which includes the QC35,1000X, Beats.

I'll likely write a full review once I've really lived with them, but needless to say I'm very happy with them and think I'll only get happier with further break-in of drivers and ear pads (assuming I don't run into firmware/BT/connectivity issues).

Nice write-up. Looking forward to your full review. I use mine mostly the same as you. Primarily at home or the office listening to music, but also on my commute to and from work (about a ten minute walk and a 40 minutes subway ride). I find that they work great in all scenarios. You also hit the nail on the head with the sound signature. Every piece of the sound is where I want it, and nothing gets lost. When the bass needs to be there, it's there and it's tight and clear. I see you have the Momentum 2.0s as well, how do you compare the two, sound-wise? I had the M2s briefly in September, but returned them because although I liked the sound, I had a lot of issues with the BT.

The biggest gripe I have currently with the PXs is that the highs sometimes lose clarity. With artists like Sam Smith or Adele that are hitting and staying on those high notes, the clarity I expect just isn't there. Have you noticed anything like that with the PXs? I'm not sure if it's just that my pair is defective. I've listened to them for probably 50+hrs, so I'd like to think they are adequately broken in.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #1,280 of 2,912
I see you have the Momentum 2.0s as well, how do you compare the two, sound-wise?

I have the fully-analog M2 and I've never heard the BT Momentums, so I'm not sure my perspective will help much. But for what it's worth, I'd say the Momentums are livelier and punchier. I think the PXs are arguably more accurate/neutral, but I would guess most people would find the Momentums more "fun."

The biggest gripe I have currently with the PXs is that the highs sometimes lose clarity.... (h)ave you noticed anything like that with the PXs?

I haven't noticed that in particular, though I can watch for it and get back to you.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,281 of 2,912
I have the fully-analog M2 and I've never heard the BT Momentums, so I'm not sure my perspective will help much. But for what it's worth, I'd say the Momentums are livelier and punchier. I think the PXs are arguably more accurate/neutral, but I would guess most people would find the Momentums more "fun."

I haven't noticed that in particular, though I can watch for it and get back to you.

Appreciate the feedback. I did find the M2 Wireless to be very warm in general, and fun and punchy. Although the PX don't exhibit that quality overall, they pick it up when they need to.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #1,282 of 2,912
I have the PX on firmware 1.062 version and it KEEPS cutting off bluetooth on crowded areas such as the tube or Oxford Circus or shopping malls. Never had a problem in the office.

Anyone else experiencing that? this is the second pair I had and it's the same thing again. It's acting as if it has never connected to my phone before.

Yes, I had this issue too. Near Borough Market, whilst on the move. Not sure if it's related to crowds or movement, or a combination of the two. My firmware version is the same as yours.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #1,283 of 2,912
I have the PX on firmware 1.062 version and it KEEPS cutting off bluetooth on crowded areas such as the tube or Oxford Circus or shopping malls. Never had a problem in the office.

Anyone else experiencing that? this is the second pair I had and it's the same thing again. It's acting as if it has never connected to my phone before.[/QU
Yes, I had this issue too. Near Borough Market, whilst on the move. Not sure if it's related to crowds or movement, or a combination of the two. My firmware version is the same as yours.

P.S. I'm using them with the Samsung S8.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,284 of 2,912
Does anybody have issues with siri on the PX ?

Mine can't seem to understand a word i say when speaking through the PX's mike and it takes at lease 2-3 seconds between the activation ans when siri starts to "listen" (if i can call it that).

Is my unit defective ?

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,286 of 2,912
Does anybody have issues with siri on the PX ?
Mine can't seem to understand a word i say when speaking through the PX's mike and it takes at lease 2-3 seconds between the activation ans when siri starts to "listen" (if i can call it that).
Is my unit defective ?

I've had a similar experience. Big delay before it listens, inaccurate voice recognition. I'm guessing the latter is more a function of mic gain/quality. It works better (perhaps unsurprisingly) if you speak loudly. Which isn't dorky or anything :flushed:

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #1,288 of 2,912
Hi all, I've been watching this thread for quite long time, and this is my first post. Saw some people said this PX sounded boxed, tube effect, and all. Today I just received my PX. I own V-moda crossfade 2 wireless rose gold with apt-x, shure se535, and bose quietcontrol30 so you know what I've been using as the meter here.
My source of music is tidal hifi from LGV20 and iphone 7 plus, so I can compare between bluetooth codec aac/aptx/aptx hd.
From my ears, after burn in 5 hours of pink noise, this PX with or without ANC, still sound worse than bose quietcontrol 30, which is earbuds (source: iphone 7 plus, tidal hifi), in terms of sound stage, clarity, and bass. Compared to V-moda CF2W (PX ANC off) with bluetooth aptx from LGV20 (PX using aptx hd), oh man, I much much prefer v-moda here, from bruno mars - treasure, otto knows - dying for you to Queen - Under pressure live at montreal, the bass on PX sound muffled, the bass extension is far less than v-moda, Freddie Mercury vocal also not as clear as in v-moda, sound stage, well PX doesn't have sound stage as wide as v-moda. But V-moda doesn't have ANC so that's a plus for PX, I would like to try while flying next month, which one perform better for traveling.
Bottom line, I don't like PX sound signature, but I still give it a try to burn in some more. So that's it guys, hope this info helps.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,289 of 2,912
Like others have said previously, the sound really changes depending on the position or seal on your head. I find that if I have a perfect seal around my ears the sound really comes to life. If i wear a hat, causing the top part of the padding to lose seal, the sound becomes open and very distant or as some have described, boxy and hollow. I keep the sides of my head shaved close most of the time so getting a good seal is not a problem for me. I wonder if some of the people in this thread have long hair at the sides are not getting a proper seal and are experiencing the hollow sound.

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #1,290 of 2,912
Like others have said previously, the sound really changes depending on the position or seal on your head. I find that if I have a perfect seal around my ears the sound really comes to life. If i wear a hat, causing the top part of the padding to lose seal, the sound becomes open and very distant or as some have described, boxy and hollow. I keep the sides of my head shaved close most of the time so getting a good seal is not a problem for me. I wonder if some of the people in this thread have long hair at the sides are not getting a proper seal and are experiencing the hollow sound.

Exactly my experience ... A good seal is crucial for these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back