Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,261 of 2,912
I added "Edit after 55 hours of burn in" to my "PX impressions" post.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bow...elling-over-ears.861606/page-80#post-13853794

----------------------------------------

CONCLUSION:
I started return process for PX on Amazon.

I really tried to like PX, I've ignored negative comments and decided to buy and experience myself. I passed through all burn in process as recommended. After all burn in trials, there wans't "huge" improvement. There was some but not enough to change my mind. I still prefer P7W sound. P7W has a mildly V shaped frequency response which is funnier while PX has less bass and treble dynamics. PX also has some kind of tube effect on sound which I really hated. P7W has a great PRAT* feeling that PX doesn't have and I think this tube effect blocks it in PX. (*PRAT: Pace Rhythm and Timing. It means the toe tapability factor of the music.)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #1,263 of 2,912
I wanted to get a set of wireless headphone for some time as I've been using my ATH-M50's for long enough and HATE the wire. I remember liking the wired P7's when they carried them at the Apple store so I thought I'd get the wireless version at some point.
When the PX came out I thought I'd just get those instead but then I started reading all the reviews. I bought both the P7W and the PX yesterday on Amazon and they were just delivered.
Coming from the M50's I honestly was expecting more. I REALLY want to like the PX but out of the box I don't. Compared to the P7W's they seem rather dull (ANC off). I like the look of the PX much better and they feel much more sturdy but I just can't get past the way they sound compared to the P7W. Also, The P7W's are much more comfortable but I understand the PX's will soften up with use.
I'm going to burn them both in for a few days to see if I like the PX's as much as the P7W's. I have my doubts but I truly hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,264 of 2,912
I wanted to get a set of wireless headphone for some time as I've been using my ATH-M50's for long enough and HATE the wire. I remember liking the wired P7's when they carried them at the Apple store so I thought I'd get the wireless version at some point.
When the PX came out I thought I'd just get those instead but then I started reading all the reviews. I bought both the P7W and the PX yesterday on Amazon and they were just delivered.
Coming from the M50's I honestly was expecting more. I REALLY want to like the PX but out of the box I don't. Compared to the P7's they seem rather dull (ANC off). I like the look of the PX much better and they feel much more sturdy but I just can't get past the way they sound compared to the P7. Also, The P7's are much more comfortable but I understand the PX's will soften up with use.
I'm going to burn them both in for a few days to see if I like the PX's as much as the P7's. I have my doubts but I truly hope I'm wrong.

These kinds of scenarios aren’t “right or wrong.” Please don’t mistake my intention but how calibrated are you with a wide variety of headphone flavors? I get the impression there’s a Hance you’ve been living in ATH-M50 land for a while.

So there are P7 & P9 owners who prefer the PX and those who don’t. There isn’t a right or wrong here, it’s just preferences. The PX is more neutral with a larger soundstage and faster driver for detail retrieval. The P7 has more bass impact and is probably more fun, in general, if you prefer a tasteful bass bump.

Hope this helps.

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #1,265 of 2,912
I have the PX on firmware 1.062 version and it KEEPS cutting off bluetooth on crowded areas such as the tube or Oxford Circus or shopping malls. Never had a problem in the office.

Anyone else experiencing that? this is the second pair I had and it's the same thing again. It's acting as if it has never connected to my phone before.

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #1,266 of 2,912
I have the PX on firmware 1.062 version and it KEEPS cutting off bluetooth on crowded areas such as the tube or Oxford Circus or shopping malls. Never had a problem in the office.

Anyone else experiencing that? this is the second pair I had and it's the same thing again. It's acting as if it has never connected to my phone before.

Not on my iPhone. What phone you running?

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #1,268 of 2,912
These kinds of scenarios aren’t “right or wrong.” Please don’t mistake my intention but how calibrated are you with a wide variety of headphone flavors? I get the impression there’s a Hance you’ve been living in ATH-M50 land for a while.

So there are P7 & P9 owners who prefer the PX and those who don’t. There isn’t a right or wrong here, it’s just preferences. The PX is more neutral with a larger soundstage and faster driver for detail retrieval. The P7 has more bass impact and is probably more fun, in general, if you prefer a tasteful bass bump.

Hope this helps.
I just wanted to give my VERY novice opinion. I have not had the chance to sample a variety of nice headphones and I probably shouldn't as I don't want to start throwing money at it. I listen to mostly 70's-90's music with a little bit of everything thrown in every once in a while. I definetly like a lively sound which is probably why I like the P7's. I'm hoping that the PX's will change over the next week as others have said.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #1,269 of 2,912
Nov 20, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #1,270 of 2,912
I purchased these through Amazon US and they arrived a few days ago. Coming from the Audio-Technica world, this is my first experience with B&W. I’m also new to Bluetooth apart from some cheap earbuds I got for exercise and convenience.

Out of the box I thought the PX sounded just okay in a brief listen. I then put them through about 50 hours of burn-in with various pink noise and frequency tracks on YouTube. The sound is now markedly better so I thought I’d share a few non-technical observations of a variety of musical styles.

Mila Repa from the album Que Alegria by the John McLaughlin Trio. This has been my go-to track for testing speakers and headphones for many years now. It features acoustic guitar along with a wide range of percussion effects from high cymbals to deep bass with a multitude of sounds in-between. On the PX I found the guitar to be rich and satisfying, and the bass controlled and powerful without ever booming (except for the intentional “boom” at 3:52).

Beethoven – String Quartet, opus 131, 1st Movement. This piece begins with a solo violin and gradually the other instruments join in. The PX rendered nice instrument separation – 1st and 2nd violins were clearly distinct, I could even pick up the viola, and the cello was full and balanced. I listened to a Philips recording of Quartetto Italiano from 1996, but any good quartet would be fine for this test.

Bach – Partita #6 in E minor, 1st Movement. Solo piano can be a real challenge for headphones because of the seven octave range of the instrument, plus timbre, pitch and pedal effects, not to mention the pianist, acoustics, and recording engineer. I chose Glenn Gould on a Columbia recording from 1957. It was marvelous. The piano was clear and a touch warm (as I like it to be without sounding flat), and with no harshness in the upper register. I could hear Gould’s faint “humming” on occasion, which is distinctly Gould and present in most of his recordings. So I give the PX high marks for revealing that even though some people find it annoying.

Shostakovich – Symphony No. 5 with Leonard Bernstein and the NY Philharmonic. This is a thrilling performance of a dynamically complex piece of music that really comes to life on the PX. It’s beautiful and spacious, capturing the subtle mood shifts and instrument variations exceptionally well. Bravo. Everyone should check this out.

Sarah Vaughan had a vocal range like no other. I listened to two versions of Send in the Clowns – a studio recording with the Count Basie Orchestra and a live performance backed up by a 3-piece ensemble that was, in a word, stunning. In fact it was almost too good. Like it did with Glenn Gould’s humming, the PX picked up some distant, muffled coughs from the audience in the live recording. These headphones can really bring out the subtle elements of sound, both the gems and the flaws.

Rebecca Pidgeon – Spanish Harlem from an album called Audiophile Vocal Recordings. Bring the volume down quite a bit, close your eyes, and it’s like having Rebecca sitting right next to you and singing this song just for you.

Ravi Shankar – Sandhya Raga. Warm and spacious, a gorgeous sound from the sitar master.

Santana – Caravanserai (several tracks). Latin percussion, drums, organ, and the sustained, signature sound of Santana’s guitar all sounded great with excellent stereo.

Nirvana – Come As You Are. I wasn’t expecting the PX to handle the bass requirements so well, but it delivered the goods. Impressive.

Led Zeppelin – Babe I’m Gonna Leave You from their first album. The opening minute with Jimmy Page’s guitar introduction and Robert Plant’s vocals (with great stereo separation) was the best I’ve ever heard on this song. So glad that such a favorite of mine sounded this good on the PX. (For you Zep fans out there, even better sounding was Whole Lotta Love (wow!) and Thank You from their second album).

Pink Floyd – Shine On You Crazy Diamond from the album Wish You Were Here. Totally immersive, just as it should be. The saxophone part near the end was particularly good.

In addition to sound quality, here are a few more thoughts . . .

Comfort is fine. They seem to be a good fit for my long and narrow head. They have enough clamp to create a nice seal, but not so much that it creates pressure. The pads don’t get hot and the weight is okay.

The controls are well placed and easy to use. I like the raised pause button because it helps me locate the volume buttons on either side.

The wear sensor seems okay although I did lose connection a few times today. I was playing music through my iPhone while doing something on my iPad so it may have been confused with the two devices (even though I disconnected if from the iPad). When I turned off the sensor everything was fine. Previously, when only one device was nearby, the sensor had no connection issues so I’m hoping that in most instances I can use the feature.

I listened to the 3 ANC modes, but only a little. I have some extended travel coming up that will give me a good opportunity to experiment more. ANC was one of the reasons I got these. As others have reported, there is a noticeable change in SQ when the ANC modes are engaged, particularly Flight, but I think I can live with that during the rare occasions when it’s needed. I’m glad the ANC modes can be used without listening to music, which will give me a chance to meditate in quiet while traveling on a plane or train. The Sony does not allow this, and that’s one reason I chose the PX.

I haven’t measured the battery life yet, but it held up fine during a couple of overnight burn-ins. Today I noticed a little battery indicator at the top of my iPhone 7 next to the phone’s battery indicator. That’s nice.

The app is okay for what it does, but it takes longer than it should to locate the PX and open.

Overall I’m very pleased with my first week with these headphones.
I started listening to Led Zeppelin and now I can’t stop! Damn I need to get to bed

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #1,271 of 2,912
I've been following this thread with quite some interest as when B&W first announced these I would have pounced on them had they been available here.

However these headphones they are coming off my wishlist for a number of reasons. Firstly is the wildly differing opinions on the sound, with quite a number of you guys returning them. Secondly based on the experiences reported here I feel that the feature set is too gimmicky and somewhat buggy/unfinished. Thirdly I already have the P7W which I love due to its fun yet detailed presentation, and for a tighter, more midcentric flavour I have the Sony MDR-1000X which arguably has better ANC.

So I'm left wondering what the PX will bring to the table for me, and at the moment I feel it will bring very little. Also my alarm bells go off when people start talking about 20, 30, 40 hours of burn in - IME if it doesn't sound good out of the box then the chances are very high that it's never going to.

I'll still give them a listen when I go by my dealer to experience them for myself, and maybe after that I'll be convinced, but as it stands I'm not in a hurry to hear them.

It might seem strange to dismiss a pair of headphones without actually hearing them, but I've found that once you filter out the fanboyism and the purchase justification excuses in threads then you get a very good idea of whether a headphone will suit you or not, and from what's written here I get a "not".

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #1,272 of 2,912
I continue to love these but my only real beef (which is becoming more annoying) is how big they remain when folded down and for this reason they are pretty impossible to carry without a bag e.g. you could not fit these in a coat pocket which you can with other NC cans

I often commute or travel without a bag and the Px’s are just too big to take, whereas as set of QC35s would fold down enough.

Nov 20, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #1,273 of 2,912
Thirdly I already have the P7W which I love due to its fun yet detailed presentation, and for a tighter, more midcentric flavour I have the Sony MDR-1000X which arguably has better ANC.
I have P7W and had 1000x before. You have the best of both worlds (I mean SQ and ANC) with your current setup.

Also my alarm bells go off when people start talking about 20, 30, 40 hours of burn in - IME if it doesn't sound good out of the box then the chances are very high that it's never going to.
This is exactly what I've experienced with PX. Burn in doesn't make a magic, it doesn't turn a caterpillar to a butterfly. It only changes sound just a little bit...

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #1,275 of 2,912

Users who are viewing this thread

Back