Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 14, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,157 of 2,912
That's weird. Everything seems to be working on mine. Did you try a hard reset?

Yeah I did all the different resets lol

What's even weirder is:
- once connected to BT the play pause button works and the volume up down buttons work (the music app of choice shows the volume slider moving)
- even when physically connected with either the 3.5mm jack or USB-C there still isn't any audio. The live bar chart that moves up and down to visually represent audio isn't even moving.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #1,159 of 2,912
Did you try unpairing and pairing it back again?

Yeah I did that too. Tried on difference devices. The only thing I haven't been able to do is to reinstall the new firmware and see if that kicks the PXs into gear. But I need B&W to post the firmware on their site to download.

If that still doesn't work it'll have to be replaced. I still love them. Once this is resolved (one way or the other) all will be forgiven.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #1,160 of 2,912
Thought I'd post some brief thoughts about my experience with the PX so far.
  • I received the headphones Friday evening and listened to them for about 5 minutes to make sure they were in working order. Was immediately impressed with build quality and they sounded pretty good for the 5 minutes I quickly ran through the settings.
  • I plugged them into my laptop using the USB C cable, set the volume to 90, and ran them through 18 cycles of the youtube white/pink noise linked in this thread - about 36 hours
  • Then I opened MusicBee, selected all of the Oakenfold albums I have, set to random and played at volume 90 for about 22 hours
  • Then I switched back to the youtube white/pink noise for another 17 hours at volume of 90 - this brought the total to about 75 hours of break-in
Today I had a flight to Denver so wanted to test them out.
  • I have no experience with noise cancelling headphones but was pleasantly surprised by the PX. I tried on the settings as people were boarding and each definitely brings different characteristics.
  • Airplane mode actually does a really good job of drowning out the engine sounds an most other sounds. I was surprised based off of what I had read. Is it dead silent, no. But it reduces the engine and background noise by a very large margin. Enough that I am very pleased.
  • Then I watched a TV show I had downloaded to my xfinity stream tv app on my Ipad with Airplane mode ANC on. The sound was great.
  • I had some more time so I watched another show which I've recently started (Luther). Also great.
  • On the bus ride to the rental car agency I listened to some music from my iphone 7 (with ANC off) and was also quite impressed - Dave Matthews and Tiesto.
  • I do not hear any boxy sound or lack of bass or mid-bass. These headphones are very pleasing.
  • I have some much better equipment at home but these are so easy to use and no wires or external DACs to haul around.
So far these are keepers in my book!

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,161 of 2,912
Apologies for the novice question, but in wired mode what’s the PX doing and what’s the amp/dac doing?

The DAC is obviously handling the conversion, but are the headphones doing the amplification?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #1,164 of 2,912
Do you guys prefer Spotify or Apple Music for Bluetooth streaming? Obviously Tidal is ideal, but between the cheaper two?

Don't forget that Tidal also has a 320Kbps subscription that costs the same as Spotify

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #1,165 of 2,912
Do you guys prefer Spotify or Apple Music for Bluetooth streaming? Obviously Tidal is ideal, but between the cheaper two?
I’ve been pondering this as well since my main source is my iPhone X.

Is the best it’s streaming with either tidal or iTunes going to be AAC? So does it make a difference to pay more for tidal in my case? I can’t take advantage of the hi Rez tidal with the iPhone X anyhow.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #1,166 of 2,912
I’ve been pondering this as well since my main source is my iPhone X.

Is the best it’s streaming with either tidal or iTunes going to be AAC? So does it make a difference to pay more for tidal in my case? I can’t take advantage of the hi Rez tidal with the iPhone X anyhow.

You cannot take advantage of the HiRes Tidal on your iPhone X but in fact nobody can. HiRes Tidal is only available on desktop and on Android via USB Player Pro and an external DAC like the Dragonfly Red. (Not sure about iPhones and external DACs though).

What you can take advantage of however is the regular CD quality of Tidal. Especially on cable you can tell the difference between a 320Kbps stream and a CD-quality stream ..

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #1,167 of 2,912
Any one with an iPhone get the new firmware? I got the new app update today but no firmware. Also any release notes to see what’s been updated?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #1,168 of 2,912
You cannot take advantage of the HiRes Tidal on your iPhone X but in fact nobody can. HiRes Tidal is only available on desktop and on Android via USB Player Pro and an external DAC like the Dragonfly Red. (Not sure about iPhones and external DACs though).

What you can take advantage of however is the regular CD quality of Tidal. Especially on cable you can tell the difference between a 320Kbps stream and a CD-quality stream ..
I’ve got the dragonfly red for use with my P7’s (before I got the PX)... the light on that never went past green so not hi rez unfortunately.

Sounds like you’re saying stick with the Tidal Hifi option for my iPhone X + PX if I want the highest quality stream?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back