Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #1,097 of 2,912
The Dutch audiophile blog Alpha-Audio published a review from the PX including measurements with and without NC.

Read in Dutch
Read in English (with Google translate)

Respons-Zonder-NC-1.jpg

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,098 of 2,912
The Dutch audiophile blog Alpha-Audio published a review from the PX including measurements with and without NC.

Read in Dutch
Read in English (with Google translate)

Awesome, thanks for posting this. I had my first weekend with the PX (coming up to seven days of use). The headphones are definitely a different beast after some regular use. I am still noticing some lack of clarity or crispness on the mids when they are front and center (Artists like Sam Smith, Adele, or Kpop balads). I don't think it's the source, but perhaps it's my phone. I'll need to test further against my HD508s to see if they have a similar result.

In the meantime anyone experience similar results?

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #1,099 of 2,912
I'm noticing some distortion in the treble of my PX. It's primarily noticeable when treble is slightly EQed up in Spotify, but I think I can hear it without the EQ as well. It's most obvious on tracks like "Dancing on My Own" (Calum Scott) and some loud female vocalists. It's important to note that I don't hear this universally, just on some tracks. Has anyone else noticed treble distortion? Is this just a result of the reported higher resolution of the PX? Like am I just hearing bad recordings? Could it be the EQ amplifying junk noise? I'm worried because I really like these headphones, but genuine distortion would be a no-go on $400+ cans...

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,100 of 2,912
I'm noticing some distortion in the treble of my PX. It's primarily noticeable when treble is slightly EQed up in Spotify, but I think I can hear it without the EQ as well. It's most obvious on tracks like "Dancing on My Own" (Calum Scott) and some loud female vocalists. It's important to note that I don't hear this universally, just on some tracks. Has anyone else noticed treble distortion? Is this just a result of the reported higher resolution of the PX? Like am I just hearing bad recordings? Could it be the EQ amplifying junk noise? I'm worried because I really like these headphones, but genuine distortion would be a no-go on $400+ cans...

I think I'm getting the same result with mine, but still trying to nail it down. Tracks like Sam Smith's "Good at Goodbyes" and "Baby, You Make Me Crazy" sort of break apart when his voice is loud at the forefront in the hooks. I'm using FLAC files, so that isn't the cause. Could be my phone (Samsung S7 Exynos over BT). I wish I had a device that was AptX HD compatible to try that out.

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,101 of 2,912
I think I'm getting the same result with mine, but still trying to nail it down. Tracks like Sam Smith's "Good at Goodbyes" and "Baby, You Make Me Crazy" sort of break apart when his voice is loud at the forefront in the hooks. I'm using FLAC files, so that isn't the cause. Could be my phone (Samsung S7 Exynos over BT). I wish I had a device that was AptX HD compatible to try that out.
Well this is concerning to say the least...

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,102 of 2,912
Just to update my situation in case it helps anyone else's decision making.

I have decided to return these. Burned them in 40+ hours and spent a lengthy day and night listening to them. As well as periodic listening in between burn in sessions.
Sound is not great for me. Sound improved after burn-in for sure but still just okay. Comfort is far from great. Can't remember the last time ear cups have bothered me this much.
They are heavy and ANC just kind of works. Don't buy these if ANC is important. They are closed but they still leak sound.

Not really many positives I could give these besides maybe looks and build quality which is subjective.
I would actually say the P7W is far superior in all aspects to this. Even with the sound (bass) issues of the P7W.

The other thing is, there seems to be such polar opposite opinions on them. Leads me to believe you could just get a bad pair half the time.
Not willing to waste my time supporting a company who puts out a half baked product and attempts to fix it with firmware updates down the road or minor revisions.
Speaking of which it really annoys me that some people are getting their orders with newer firmware already installed and the rest of us are still waiting for a firmware update. Very ridiculous if you ask me.
The 2 should parallel each other. As soon as the new firmware was shipping it should have been released to the app. I don't care how minor or major the changes are.

Just so it is clear. My source is an iphone 7+ always used wireless. Combination of apple music and tidal.
I own and have owned headphones and gear that would approach summit fi levels. Not that it matters. Just qualifying my opinion.

Going to go back to the qc35 when I am plane travelling or need proper ANC, and a portable dac/amp for to and from work etc. and all other portable situations.

IMHO wireless audio is evolving but still not quite there to justify the cost of these.
That coupled with the fact that this is the first B&W headphone with technology involved (anc, app features etc) I think there are some growing pains that will happen.
A lot of the issues to me seem like "version 1" issues that will be hammered out and fixed making subsequent versions (hopefully) better.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #1,105 of 2,912
I tried those tracks, but no problem here. This is what I did: convert FLAC 24 files to MP3 320 with LAME MP3 Encoder. Gain correction with MP3 gain. I play the tracks with my iPhone 7. I don't like the record quality.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Did you notice any distortion listening to the Flac files, or did you not try? Also your comment on the record quality, do you mean the levels specifically?

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,106 of 2,912
Just to update my situation in case it helps anyone else's decision making.

I have decided to return these. Burned them in 40+ hours and spent a lengthy day and night listening to them. As well as periodic listening in between burn in sessions.
Sound is not great for me. Sound improved after burn-in for sure but still just okay. Comfort is far from great. Can't remember the last time ear cups have bothered me this much.
They are heavy and ANC just kind of works. Don't buy these if ANC is important. They are closed but they still leak sound.

Not really many positives I could give these besides maybe looks and build quality which is subjective.
I would actually say the P7W is far superior in all aspects to this. Even with the sound (bass) issues of the P7W.

The other thing is, there seems to be such polar opposite opinions on them. Leads me to believe you could just get a bad pair half the time.
Not willing to waste my time supporting a company who puts out a half baked product and attempts to fix it with firmware updates down the road or minor revisions.
Speaking of which it really annoys me that some people are getting their orders with newer firmware already installed and the rest of us are still waiting for a firmware update. Very ridiculous if you ask me.
The 2 should parallel each other. As soon as the new firmware was shipping it should have been released to the app. I don't care how minor or major the changes are.

Just so it is clear. My source is an iphone 7+ always used wireless. Combination of apple music and tidal.
I own and have owned headphones and gear that would approach summit fi levels. Not that it matters. Just qualifying my opinion.

Going to go back to the qc35 when I am plane travelling or need proper ANC, and a portable dac/amp for to and from work etc. and all other portable situations.

IMHO wireless audio is evolving but still not quite there to justify the cost of these.
That coupled with the fact that this is the first B&W headphone with technology involved (anc, app features etc) I think there are some growing pains that will happen.
A lot of the issues to me seem like "version 1" issues that will be hammered out and fixed making subsequent versions (hopefully) better.

Didn't follow your earlier post but I am returning mine as well. Poor comfort plus mediocre sound with ANC on did it in for me. Owned and listened to for over a month so it's not a matter of burn-in. The ANC is actually decent but very dependent on properly wearing them. As I and others have reported, with ANC on the sound is boxed and the highs are reduced.

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #1,107 of 2,912
Hi guys,

As the PX has started to come back in stock, I've been looking to click that tempting buy button. However, as i'm very sensitive to background hiss, i was wondering if the PX had any ? I know that there is some with ANC on, but what about when it's off (but still in bluetooth) ?

Thanks in advance :)

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,108 of 2,912
Hi guys,

As the PX has started to come back in stock, I've been looking to click that tempting buy button. However, as i'm very sensitive to background hiss, i was wondering if the PX had any ? I know that there is some with ANC on, but what about when it's off (but still in bluetooth) ?

Thanks in advance :)

None that I've experienced so far.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,109 of 2,912
I decided to send the Geekria case back to Amazon. It is a nice case, however I'm not sure it provides any more protection than the cloth sleeve that comes with the headphones. There really isn't any structural integrity to the Geekria case. I will be keeping an eye out for one like the slappa case mentioned earlier in this thread. Hopefully someone posts some photos of a semi-hard/hard-sided case with the PX headphones in the case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IZ9ZJ9Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #1,110 of 2,912
Has anyone tried these with an iPhone X? Mine don't work.

When I try to connect, the PX don't come up in the list of bluetooth devices. Strangely, I opened the PX app and that DID connect to the headphones the first time and I was able to toggle ANC. When I tried to play music, it came through the phone speaker and not the headphones.

When I try now, I can't connect to the headphones at all.

Mine work flawlessly. Did you pair them? If you restored iPhone from backup then it's possible the app remembers the headphones but the app works even when it's not connected and possibly even when not paired

Users who are viewing this thread

Back