Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #616 of 2,912
Sure, but I think first you have to take the DAC out of the equation because, like I said, my P7Ws sound much different wirelessly depending on the bluetooth codec: AptX-HD > AptX > SBC ver X > SBC ver Y

No wireless headphone will ever sound as good as a wired nice HP so you're kind of throwing apples and oranges into a bucket, picking one, and then comparing it to your grapefruit.

My 2 cents would be:

(1.) Compare HPs wired and find the closest wired match that can also support AptX-HD - that's going to your winner
(2.) Ensure your most often used source (iPhone or whatever) is AptX-HD compatible or get a converter - that's going to give you the best possible wireless sound
(3.) Enjoy

You can also wait for the FiiO Q5 to come out, plug your source into that, then connect to it via AptX-HD and pair of HP that support AptX-HD
I disagree to your conclusion that "AptX-HD - that's going to your winner". I made a comparison between iPhone 7 over Bluetooth AAC and an Astell & Kern AK70 over Bluetooth aptX HD. The iPhone sounds more vivid en had a greater soundstage. So, Bluetooth is just a wireless transport of data and the source can make a big difference.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #617 of 2,912
Picked up a set of PX from Amazon in my quest to get a wireless over-ear headphone that sounds as good as my B&O H6. While these PX sound terrific, they have more rolled off treble than the H6 and a bit less sub-bass, as well as having a much warmer mid-range. I really like them, so I'm torn on whether I'm going to keep them or not. Music sounds extremely fun on these!
I'm in the same boat. I don't want to own many headphones, so I'm waiting for that 'unicorn' pair of wireless headphones that'll replace my H6v2. (Preferably with W1-chip but that'll probably never happen!)

Do you think these are a worthy replacement of the H6, or does the wait continue?

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #618 of 2,912
I'm in the same boat. I don't want to own many headphones, so I'm waiting for that 'unicorn' pair of wireless headphones that'll replace my H6v2. (Preferably with W1-chip but that'll probably never happen!)

Do you think these are a worthy replacement of the H6, or does the wait continue?

After 2 days of listening, I have to say no. The H6 v2 are still my favorite headphones. I want to give the PX more of a shot though, because music sounds amazingly fun with them.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #621 of 2,912
How does the soundstage compare to the H6?

I can only speak to listening to them wirelessly on my iPhone 7 Plus vs H6 wired on the iPhone (haven't tried PX wired yet). The PX soundstage is slightly smaller, with more rolled off highs and a bit less sub bass. The mids on the PX are much warmer, forward, and more exciting than the H6. If I go back and forth between the two for any given song, the H6 has a cleaner sound with a wider soundstage. However, the PX are more fun to listen to. It's hard to explain, but music feels more alive on the PX than the H6 in a lot of scenarios.

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #622 of 2,912
I can only speak to listening to them wirelessly on my iPhone 7 Plus vs H6 wired on the iPhone (haven't tried PX wired yet). The PX soundstage is slightly smaller, with more rolled off highs and a bit less sub bass. The mids on the PX are much warmer, forward, and more exciting than the H6. If I go back and forth between the two for any given song, the H6 has a cleaner sound with a wider soundstage. However, the PX are more fun to listen to. It's hard to explain, but music feels more alive on the PX than the H6 in a lot of scenarios.
Thanks. Interesting... I'm certainly tempted to try them out. I just hate the process of buying stuff and returning it.

Oct 20, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #623 of 2,912
How does the soundstage compare to the H6?

One persons golden review is another reviewers nightmare. You just have to use your own ears with this technology, there is NO other way.

I also dislike returning things so I try to see and hear before hand. That is impossible in this case so I have ordered the PX's from Amazon and after a decent drive in time will either keep or return.

Ryland

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #624 of 2,912
I disagree to your conclusion that "AptX-HD - that's going to your winner". I made a comparison between iPhone 7 over Bluetooth AAC and an Astell & Kern AK70 over Bluetooth aptX HD. The iPhone sounds more vivid en had a greater soundstage. So, Bluetooth is just a wireless transport of data and the source can make a big difference.

That's a good point about bluetooth AAC, forgot about that one. And, yeah, the source will definitely make a difference too. I guess I was more making the point that, if you're wireless, you're throwing a lot of variables into the mix even assuming the exact same source and HP. If you start mixing sources, mixing bluetooth codecs, and mixing HPs and trying to compare them .... seems like it'll take a long time to randomly find what you like versus trying to control for each factor and engineer your way to the right answer, but who knows, I'm no expert.

In any event, for what it's worth, given I already have the P7w, I may skip the PX. I like AptXHD and ANC, but I got the P7w over the QC35s and the1000x purely because they sounded so much better ... but since then I've begun listening to Tidal HiFi wired on the P7w and it sounds awesome. It's great being able to switch to wireless, but I'm just not sure I need ANC for travel (mostly airplane) as usually I can't hear much of what's going on anyway (i crank a movie, music, or podcast on the P7Ws and most other sounds fade away).

So, I'm probably going to skip over the PX and instead get a Chord Mojo and the mrspeakers aeon flows and follow the same upgrade path that got me into the P7Ws in the first place: better sound quality.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #625 of 2,912
Hey everyone. I started a thread under the recommendations section, but I'm curious what you'd pick if it were between the PX and P7 for hip-hop/rap and EDM music? I ordered the P7 this morning but noticed a little bit ago that they're not even sold on B&W's website anymore as they've been replaced with the PX, so I cancelled my order. Any feedback would be great! :L3000:

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #627 of 2,912
Been a while since I heard the P7. I imagine both are pretty great. PX is more detailed and has better mids. I think it has a better soundstage with the new angled driver.

Anyway, I’m an EDM head who’s going to 2 shows this week and can say I love EDM on my PX.
Have you ever listened to the 1000x? If so, how does the bass compare on the PX to the 1000x? I don't need ANC, which is why I'm not leaning toward the PX over the P7, but if I'm dropping $400 on headphones I want the latest and greatest.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #628 of 2,912

iPhone 7 and up does an absolutely phenomenal job at transmitting Bluetooth audio, particularly AAC but even SBC sounds better from a newer iPhone compared to many other devices. Often times I’ll stream music off of my iPhone instead of the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro I’m using.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #629 of 2,912
Have you ever listened to the 1000x? If so, how does the bass compare on the PX to the 1000x? I don't need ANC, which is why I'm not leaning toward the PX over the P7, but if I'm dropping $400 on headphones I want the latest and greatest.

I have not but I think others in this thread have said they prefer the sound of the PX over the 1000x. FWIW, to me, the P7 mid-bass boost wasn’t quite to my liking. I prefer the tighter/deeper emphasis on the PX. For EDM, having the full picture of the mids and sub bass while having a tighter bass is a much better presentation to my ears.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #630 of 2,912
I have not but I think others in this thread have said they prefer the sound of the PX over the 1000x. FWIW, to me, the P7 mid-bass boost wasn’t quite to my liking. I prefer the tighter/deeper emphasis on the PX. For EDM, having the full picture of the mids and sub bass while having a tighter bass is a much better presentation to my ears.

Its all personal preference, and my preference is the 1000x when ANC is used and without I would give its slightly to PX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back