Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #601 of 2,912
The guy at the local shop Hifi Klubben told me the new firmware is for the smart controls. The next batch PX with the new firmware is available in november.

B&W told me that the firmware update will start rolling out before November 1st, somewhere in the next week, week and a half ..

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #602 of 2,912
Not much has been said so far about musical genres, although The Verge review said this: "If you’re a classical music fan or you appreciate acoustic instrument productions more, you’ll probably be better served by something closer to the Audio-Technica DSR9BT — the PX are decidedly modern headphones designed for modern music tastes."

That was a little disappointing to me because I love classical music. Can anyone comment on their experience with the PX and classical music?
Yes, I think someone took a conclusion too fast. There is a big difference between chamber music or a big symphony orchestra. The PX has a very nice balance between analytical (instrument separation, soundstage) and fun (a tad warmer sound, musicality). I heard the Audio Technica on a hifi show a month ago and I found it clinical/cold/digital. My source is an iPhone 7 with high quality MP3 320 CBR files. I really like the clean en sparkling highs from the PX. So my advise is to listen yourself to your favorite music.

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #603 of 2,912
So my advise is to listen yourself to your favorite music.

So true .. Your own ears are the best judge .. It's you who has to like the headphones, not someone else :)

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #604 of 2,912
Not much has been said so far about musical genres, although The Verge review said this: "If you’re a classical music fan or you appreciate acoustic instrument productions more, you’ll probably be better served by something closer to the Audio-Technica DSR9BT — the PX are decidedly modern headphones designed for modern music tastes."

That was a little disappointing to me because I love classical music. Can anyone comment on their experience with the PX and classical music?
I don't think the PXs are more for modern music. I think the MDR-1000Xs were much better for that kind of stuff with their thicker and warmer bass. I do think the PXs shine on real instruments the best. Yesterday on my way home I found myself listening to Bartók, because I found the gear interesting enough to play classical music on them. I have to agree with the statement, that the DSR9BTs are probably a bit too clinical and bright (however really detailed) to really enjoy the overall music instead of the details themselves.

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #605 of 2,912
Picked up a set of PX from Amazon in my quest to get a wireless over-ear headphone that sounds as good as my B&O H6. While these PX sound terrific, they have more rolled off treble than the H6 and a bit less sub-bass, as well as having a much warmer mid-range. I really like them, so I'm torn on whether I'm going to keep them or not. Music sounds extremely fun on these!

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #606 of 2,912
Picked up a set of PX from Amazon in my quest to get a wireless over-ear headphone that sounds as good as my B&O H6. While these PX sound terrific, they have more rolled off treble than the H6 and a bit less sub-bass, as well as having a much warmer mid-range. I really like them, so I'm torn on whether I'm going to keep them or not. Music sounds extremely fun on these!

I'm assuming you're controlling for bluetooth codex, i.e., SBC to SBC or AptX to AptX?

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #608 of 2,912
I’m using my iPhone 7 Plus wired for the H6 and Bluetooth for the PX (also have Sennheiser Momentum HD1 that I’m trying). The H6 and Momentum’s have much more defined treble. The PX seems a bit muddy and rolled off in comparison.

Maybe I'm not understanding but don't you need to compare wired-to-wired, bt-to-bt?

My P7Ws sound WAY better wired ... and then if I use them wireless via a bluetooth SBC connection to my nexus 5 and compare with the AptX connection to my Macbook, it's a pretty big step up SQ ... and that's with the same set of HPs!

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #609 of 2,912
Maybe I'm not understanding but don't you need to compare wired-to-wired, bt-to-bt?

My P7Ws sound WAY better wired ... and then if I use them wireless via a bluetooth SBC connection to my nexus 5 and compare with the AptX connection to my Macbook, it's a pretty big step up SQ ... and that's with the same set of HPs!

I get what you're saying, but I bought the PX to listen wireless. The Holy Grail, for me, is a wireless headphone that sounds close to / same / better than the B&O H6. I would probably never plug in the PX for normal listening, so, for myself, I don't want to compare them in a way I wouldn't normally listen.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #610 of 2,912
I get what you're saying, but I bought the PX to listen wireless. The Holy Grail, for me, is a wireless headphone that sounds close to / same / better than the B&O H6. I would probably never plug in the PX for normal listening, so, for myself, I don't want to compare them in a way I wouldn't normally listen.

Sure, but I think first you have to take the DAC out of the equation because, like I said, my P7Ws sound much different wirelessly depending on the bluetooth codec: AptX-HD > AptX > SBC ver X > SBC ver Y

No wireless headphone will ever sound as good as a wired nice HP so you're kind of throwing apples and oranges into a bucket, picking one, and then comparing it to your grapefruit.

My 2 cents would be:

(1.) Compare HPs wired and find the closest wired match that can also support AptX-HD - that's going to your winner
(2.) Ensure your most often used source (iPhone or whatever) is AptX-HD compatible or get a converter - that's going to give you the best possible wireless sound
(3.) Enjoy

You can also wait for the FiiO Q5 to come out, plug your source into that, then connect to it via AptX-HD and pair of HP that support AptX-HD

Oct 19, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #612 of 2,912
I don’t think these should be thought of as either/or. I’d suggest that they might be some of the most usage-scalable and feature complete mid range headphones available. You want a headphone that sounds excellent with a DAC? Check. Best in class wireless sound? Check. ANC that scales to your environmental use to preserve as much music as possible? Check. Ultra Premium build? Check. Long battery? Check. Sounds great for phone calls? Check. Good clicky tactile controls? Check. Comfortable after break in? Check.

I’m seriously enamoured with their sound and feature set. The iSine is still my best headphone for pure sound but these full so many cool use cases. Love them.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #613 of 2,912
I don’t think these should be thought of as either/or. I’d suggest that they might be some of the most usage-scalable and feature complete mid range headphones available. You want a headphone that sounds excellent with a DAC? Check. Best in class wireless sound? Check. ANC that scales to your environmental use to preserve as much music as possible? Check. Ultra Premium build? Check. Long battery? Check. Sounds great for phone calls? Check. Good clicky tactile controls? Check. Comfortable after break in? Check.

I’m seriously enamoured with their sound and feature set. The iSine is still my best headphone for pure sound but these full so many cool use cases. Love them.

I have had my PX now for about a week (also have the P7W and 1000X as far as wireless goes). I agree with many things you say, but not the way they work wired. I had problems with the P7W when they arrived in that they a) in quite surroundings were to loud even on the lowest volume setting and b) that there is a slight background hiss when used wireless. The firmware update for the P7W solved the first problem, but the second one remains. It is mostly a concern when listening to music with more quit parts though. To my big content, the PX does not have neither of these problems. The volume levels are well thought out and the background hiss when using wireless is so low that it doesn't bother me. This is with ANC off, with ANC on, it is more audible, but in my opining still good and better than 1000X. However, when using them wired, there is a background noise that is quite audible. As you can only use them turned on I guess this comes from the circuitry that is used for the analog part. Does anyone know what it does with an analog signal, does it pass it through as analog or does it use an ADC and then feed it through the regular DAC on the HP? The background noise I hear when connected via the analog 3.5 contact is actually audible even if I have no source connected on the other end, i.e. it is clearly the headphone causing it just when the analog cable is connected. Anyway, on my P7W they are clearly better wired with a good external DAC than wireless, but with the PX I don't find that to be true. I wouldn't use these wired, unless if I have to on e.g. a flight where they sometimes do not allow wireless headphones. On the other hand, I see no strong reason to use them wired anyway as they are so good wireless.

Sound quality wise, I am getting more and more fond of them. In the beginning I found them a bit boring compared to my P7W, but they start to win me over with their higher resolving power and more balanced sound. Compared to the P7W they also have one big advantage and that is that they don't pick up wind sound as much when used outdoors. I found my P7W almost unusable in my daily commutes as they produce a kind of background sound from wind outside, even on relatively calm days. The PX are much better in this regard, both with ANC on and off.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #614 of 2,912
Yeah I'm really curious about the wired implementation, like if there's anything beyond ANC that the PX does. I hear the hiss too and hope they clean it up in the firmware update. Anyways, when music is playing, I don't hear it. Though I imagine it could have some impact on the sound.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #615 of 2,912
However, when using them wired, there is a background noise that is quite audible. As you can only use them turned on I guess this comes from the circuitry that is used for the analog part. Does anyone know what it does with an analog signal, does it pass it through as analog or does it use an ADC and then feed it through the regular DAC on the HP? The background noise I hear when connected via the analog 3.5 contact is actually audible even if I have no source connected on the other end, i.e. it is clearly the headphone causing it just when the analog cable is connected

+1 for the slightly elevated background hiss on analog. However, although I do hear it, it is barely discernible ..I actually have to put inside pressure on my eardrums for it to stand out. For me it is well below the threshold of becoming bothersome and I attribute this to the fact that these cans contain quite a lot of complex circuitry including switchable routes through or around DAC, with or without ANC that has to be applied on digital as well as analogue signals. So not an issue for me .. In fact, both my pairs of Momentum 2.0 had more hiss than these PX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back