Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 13, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #391 of 2,912
Additional tidbits when comparing them to P7W

1) buttons are not as good
2) when you turn them on, they connect to the last connected device, not to the first paired device like the P7 Wireless (some might like this more, I don't)
3) bluetooth range is a lot better than the P7W (and those are very good as well).

Wow - that's the complete opposite of my experience. I have both the PX and the P7W and have been A/B ing them a lot over the last couple of days and I find the PX significantly clearer and less muffled than the P7W.

It is possible we have differently shaped ears - moving them around makes massive difference (probably because of the angled drivers), but in no position do they sound as good as the P7W to me. Remember the P7W were more like having full sized speakers in a room, just in a headphone form factor. Those are clearly more headphone-ey.
Another possibility is they have quality control problems, which would explain why they are not in stock anywhere anymore (someone posted they paused the launch to fine-tune the software).
Or a different firmware (but the P7W didn't need any trickery to sound good).
Or I'm wrong and break-in exists.

If I change my opinion I'll post an update here.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #392 of 2,912
You are just about the only person in this thread with this opinion. In regards to the sq, have you allowed for burn in?
Also, I think the p7w is quite unnaturally bloated and a bit loose in the bass in wireless mode. I'm quite interested in the px from the general consensus in this thread.

No burn-in. That's just placebo.
They are. The bass is clearly overblown and I often EQ it down (always better than up, right? :)). However it didn't interfere with mids-highs, on the PX it does. It really sounds compressed and tiring.

But hey, it's all subjective, right? :)

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #393 of 2,912
No burn-in. That's just placebo.
They are. The bass is clearly overblown and I often EQ it down (always better than up, right? :)). However it didn't interfere with mids-highs, on the PX it does. It really sounds compressed and tiring.

But hey, it's all subjective, right? :)
Absolutely, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but most opinions on the px have been very positive.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #396 of 2,912
Have any of you had any experience with the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H7 and / or BeoPlay H9? I have both, and I just got the Beats Studio3 Wireless and I also own the Bose QC35. As the Beats Studio3 Wireless feels like a huge let-down in terms of sound quality its 99% certain I will return them. I do love the sound of the BeoPlay H7 and I find them to sound better than the BeoPlay H9 but they lack ANC. But the ANC on the H9's are not that good so its not really worth anything if you ask me. The biggest gripe I have with these are the bluetooth pairing which is really bad. Moving between devices is tedious as I have to re-pair them every, single, time.. And often when I power them on they won't even automatically connect to my last used device.. Its a real mess and its frustrating.

That's why I had big hopes for the Beats Studio3 Wireless with all the rumours about good ANC and with the Apple W1-chip everything in terms of pairing and jumping between devices is a breeze and they are also one of very few that sports Class 1 / Class A bluetooth so they have great range, much better than pretty much everything else on the market which is also a huge plus. But the audio is just boring, they lack dynamic and the soundstage is really narrow and I tend to love wide, spacious sound and they proved to be the polar opposite.

I do use the Bose QC35 on plane rides and they are actually the only headphones besides those very few that has the Apple W1 chip that has great pairing and support for jumping between several devices. How Bose managed to get this and do it so much better compared to everyone else is beyond me. But they work great in terms of connecting and going from device to device. But sadly I don't enjoy their sound. The tonality sounds wrong to my ears, vocals have this awkward sound to them and they aren't all that dynamic either and the ANC even though its great has this "vacuum" feeling that I don't like at all and at times it makes me feel somewhat sick which isn't a great feature for a pair of headphones.

As I have to settle for something that wont be offering me the benefits of the Apple W1-chip I have decided to take a look at the B&W P7 Wireless and the PX Wireless. Have anyone done any comparisons between these and the BeoPlays?

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #397 of 2,912
Have anyone done any comparisons between these and the BeoPlays?

I did, H7 and P7W tested side to side for some days...the H7 is a good HP, and has some interesting design, with a swappable battery and a bit more comfort...but they lack the punch that the P7W has, and also is a bit less powerful. The PX to me is soundwise somewhere in the middle, comfort is similar to the P7W with a different shape, but I noticed both the B&W are getting better after some use, the H7 were a bit loose on my head.
About bass, the P7 has the most "personality", the H7 sounds good BUT is a bit loose with critical listening, the PX is the most neutral/natural of these 3, so it's less impressive at a quick listening, but with some more time spent with them it's great in the way they allow you to hear subtle nuances in the lower frequencies. Kick drums were better in the P7W, but the PX is close and the H7 way behind them. Midrange is better on the PX, the P7W pushed voices a bit backwards, the H7 sounded a bit thin there, with a better clarity up the range.
Highs, to my ear the H7 has the most but not really in a pleasant way...rock guitars often sounds too bright, and cymbals have a nice sheen but lacks some drive in the sound...both the B&W are better, with the P7W a bit darker, the PX still in the middle between the other 2.

What I really don't like about the PX is that there's no sound when switched off, even using the cable, so their longevity is a bit questionable, and I don't want a lithium battery close to my head when its life is over, considering you still can power them with USB. The H7 wins here, and the P7W can work passive with the cable, saving some battery life when bluetooth isn't needed.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #399 of 2,912
I will never use them with cable anyways. sounds like I should give the PX a go. Unfortunately they doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere near me until November.
I ordered them from the B&W website the day they were announced, they have a nice 60 days return policy so I was fine with purchasing without testing...are them out of stock on the website too?

For me cable is just to being sure that a 400€ purchase won't go in the trash can in 2 years if I use them daily

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #401 of 2,912
I'll leave them playing noise in case
Have any of you had any experience with the Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H7 and / or BeoPlay H9?

I tried the H9. They sounded good but artificial at the same time (like pressing Loudness on a chinese radio), but the drivers had lots of potential.
They weren't very loud, ANC was weak (close to the PX), and I don't think they support bluetooth multipoint (neither do Sony 1000X, pathetic).
Very comfortable, very hot.
I only had them for few days though.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #402 of 2,912
I've been fortunate enough to demo a pair in the Superfi store in Camden. I spent about half hour listening to the headphones with ANC on using the different modes (Office, City and Flight), ANC off and wireless only and also wired linked to my Onkyo-DPX1 DAP and listening to a hi res version of Dark Side Of The Moon, my go to album for demo-ing hi-fi equipment. To say I was astounded by the quality of these headphones would be an understatement, I am so glad I have tried them out for myself. The guys in the store were really helpful and even joined in the demo by allowing me to use their demo room whilst they tried a brand new pair of £2k KEF speakers which they proceeded to turn up full blast to Spinal Tap 11 whilst I had the PXs on ANC and I didn't hear anything other than the track I was listening to on my DAP. The guys didn't believe me so they had a try and they too were amazed. Needless to say I've put down a deposit for the soft gold pair which I will hopefully collect in store next week.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #403 of 2,912
I don't know what to make of the wide range of posts in this thread. To me, I'm not impressed with the sound of my pair, ANC drastically degrades the sound quality. Office is tolerable, but again it changes the sound. Not sure what to make of these headphones. Will do some more listening this weekend. I've been burning them in with white noise all week, regardless if it is a placebo or not, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #404 of 2,912
I don't know what to make of the wide range of posts in this thread. To me, I'm not impressed with the sound of my pair, ANC drastically degrades the sound quality. Office is tolerable, but again it changes the sound. Not sure what to make of these headphones. Will do some more listening this weekend. I've been burning them in with white noise all week, regardless if it is a placebo or not, I figured it couldn't hurt.
This is puzzling to me as well. As one of those who loves them, it makes me question my ability to discern good from bad seeing all the bad reviews! However, after some more varied listening today I have no doubts they sound detailed and spacious to me with great tonality - and that is with the Office setting. The sound does indeed change switching NR off, but not to anything notoiceably better than Office.
I think source is extremely important with these and all my listening is using aptXHD. I think if I was using an Apple device or standard aptX, then I would not be as enthusiastic, so maybe they have been tuned more specifically with this in mind.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #405 of 2,912
This is puzzling to me as well. As one of those who loves them, it makes me question my ability to discern good from bad seeing all the bad reviews! However, after some more varied listening today I have no doubts they sound detailed and spacious to me with great tonality - and that is with the Office setting. The sound does indeed change switching NR off, but not to anything notoiceably better than Office.
I think source is extremely important with these and all my listening is using aptXHD. I think if I was using an Apple device or standard aptX, then I would not be as enthusiastic, so maybe they have been tuned more specifically with this in mind.

I've been listening mainly to Spotify through my S7 Edge which is just normal aptX and dont find them lacking in the slightest.

I've been questioning my ability to judge good sound as well but what the hell, I've been listening to, recording and playing music for 35 years now so at the end of the day, I've only got my own ears to trust, as others only have theirs. I think I might unsubscribe from this thread and stop obsessing over what others think, because at this stage it really doesn't concern me as I think they're amazing.

That said, what aptX HD source are you using? Id love to hear what these are really capable of!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back