Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #376 of 2,912
The 2 are quite different headphones, made by very different companies. Not sure why you'd think that. Not to mention the whole Beats stigma that still exists with "audiophiles" \rolleyes

tbh I was pretty set on picking up a pair of the Shadow Greys, or at the very least giving them a good audition. Once the PXes suddenly dropped, well that was the end of that lol. B&W make quality products, and their heritage is undeniable.

I've seen at least 3 Head-Fier's who were posting in the Beats Studio3 thread who are posting here... releases have been very close together and so I think his point was that there are people who tried or were going to try the Studio3 and they have migrated over here.. :L3000:

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #377 of 2,912
I've seen at least 3 Head-Fier's who were posting in the Beats Studio3 thread who are posting here... releases have been very close together and so I think his point was that there are people who tried or were going to try the Studio3 and they have migrated over here.. :L3000:
Ah okok

the high-end ANC market is getting very crowded indeed

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #378 of 2,912
The 2 are quite different headphones, made by very different companies. Not sure why you'd think that. Not to mention the whole Beats stigma that still exists with "audiophiles" \rolleyes

tbh I was pretty set on picking up a pair of the Shadow Greys, or at the very least giving them a good audition. Once the PXes suddenly dropped, well that was the end of that lol. B&W make quality products, and their heritage is undeniable.

Because everybody from that thread is coming over here. lol

Beats let me down :frowning2:.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #379 of 2,912
Because everybody from that thread is coming over here. lol

Beats let me down :frowning2:.
Me too, just returned them yesterday and still thinking about buying these headphones but I’m worry about the more balanced than the P7W argument because I love mine. I don’t care to much about ANC but I’m interested in their sleek look, battery, and APTX HD

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #380 of 2,912
Whats the argument for the B&W PX over the P7 Wireless? Other than ANC that is. And how good is the ANC? Subpar ANC like what I have on my B&O BeoPlay H9 feels utterly pointless.

These seems like some great wireless headphones, but they are somewhat bulky in design and might feel somewhat heavy? And how is wireless connectivity and range? I've seen some complaints about B&W and connectivity before and what about pairing and moving between devices? Are they just as fiddly as B&O BeoPlay H7 and H9's where you pretty much have to re-pair the headphones every time you move from a iPhone to a iPad?

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #381 of 2,912
I found them to be less open and sort of unatural. Others haven't. I have wired P7s that I compare to attached to the 3.5mm of a pixel. These make sound sort of holographic, addictive, enjoyable. Whilst the PXs are detailed and controlled, they're, for me too dry.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of wireless, but my westone IEMs with their westone BT adapter, sound almost the same when wired. And come to think of it, so do the PXs so, its the drivers in the PX that are this way.

I've run them in plenty, so I'm going back to enjoying music on other systems and sending them back.
I've never had to run in other big audio purchases before loving them.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #383 of 2,912
Here's how I'd summarize it ... owners how close am i?
  1. The PX requires burn in to get up to their full SQ potential (and AptX HD)
  2. ANC is about 75% of the sonys, closes in the stage, and degrades the sound
  3. The SQ without ANC is superior, maybe far superior to the Sonys or the QC35
  4. They're not as comfortable as the Sonys or QC35s, but not bad either
  5. The SQ is more neutral compared to the P7w, i.e., the P7w are more bass heavy which occasionally washes out midrange
All in all, once B&W has them back in stock I'll get a set (I have the P7ws now)

I think that sums it up well. I was one of those who was posting in the Studio3 thread and was also keeping an eye on this one. I now have both, and keep A/B'ing them. Until today, I couldn't understand what a lot of folks were saying about the PX -- I thought they lacked midrange, bass -- overall presence. Especially compared to the more comfortable, near Momentum-like Studio3 (in terms of softness and sweetness). I did the pink noise burn-in etc. and that kind of made a difference. AND THEN, I had a few revelations....(1) Playing Joni Mitchell "Hissing" I noticed that her voice was more "present" with the PX vs. the Studio; (2) I realized maybe it wasn't burn-in, placebo, etc. but the actual placement of the PX on my head. Almost similar to my Beyerdynamic DT-1350, I had to position these headphones more securely, and a bit further back on my head. It may be the angle of the drivers. But that did it. Perhaps then it's not burn-in at all, but getting used to positioning these headphones appropriately on our heads.

A few more observations: I'm finding the bluetooth a little wonky sometimes (and that's with the Wear sensor off -- it's HORRID with the sensor on, cutting off music and disconnecting altogether from my device, even on the lowest sensitivity); I'm playing these mostly with ANC off, but the seal is quite nice, and "Office" is enough for home with kids and dishwasher; yes the ANC on my Sony 1000x is superior, but I realize the sound is more strident on the Sony's as well -- maybe a little more harsh. So I'm beginning to come around to the opinion others have voiced here that these are very strong wireless headphones that just happen to have ANC. I just wish they were a bit more foldable.

Oh, and call quality is excellent according to folks who had to listen to me for an hour on a conference call today.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #385 of 2,912

I think the ANC is not quite 75% vs the QC35 tbh. I'll admit I have been a little disappointed with the anc, it only really takes the edge off at lower volumes and I would worry about using these on a flight. If I was heading off on a long-haul flight tomorrow I'd consider picking up some QC35s again.

They are IMO as comfortable as the 1000x's but not has comfortable as the QC35s. I have an issue using mine whilst moving in that when walking home from the station I can hear a small knock/thud in the ear cups with every step, subtle but for me noticeable. Currently speaking with tech support and unsure if this is a quirk or a fault

I prefer the sound from my P7Ws tbh but then I have always been partial to a bit of bass.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #386 of 2,912
Is anyone who dislikes the sound listening with an aptX HD device, because that makes a massive difference to me. Whilst the sound from my Galaxy S7 edge is ok, it is fantastic with the AK70 and in a different league.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #387 of 2,912
Just got mine `nx connected them in parallel with P7 Wireless (over bluetooth) to my Macbook to compare.
First impressions:

1) everything sounds muffled and cheap
2) ANC makes everything sound even more muffled
3) bass response is close to P7W, 160Hz+ region seems more emphasized while the bottom is weaker. Doesn't sound natural.
4) ANC is weak and the profiles it has make no sense (I don't have a plane though)
5) they randomly start/stop music when I'm moving around. No glasses.
6) comfort-wise, they are more grippy, but they will likely loosen-up a bit. Earcups are weird and my ears are touching them from inside. I can tell they will be much hotter than the P7W. Not as comfortable as the P7W.
7) build quality is good but not as good as the P7W, even the metal looks like plastic. Few months forward the P7W will still look the same, those will show wear and tear for sure.

Overall I'm VERY disappointed

Second impressions after playing with them for a while

8) USB audio works, but is 48kHz/16bit top - no hi-res ;-( Sound is indistinguishable from Bluetooth AAC or aptX (at least to me). I get some weird gaps in playback every once in a while, those don't happen with BT.
9) SQ is not that bad without ANC but really turns to mush with ANC on. Sounds like a very badly compressed MP3 (think 64kbit) played through a pipe.
Whoever had a P7W will be able to tell it's nowhere near as good from the first time they turn it on and hear the same familiar power-on chime the P7W has - that sound tells you everything you need to know because it's muffled badly and simply sounds cheap.

My recommendation: Get a P7 Wireless, return the PX if you can, those are $150 headphones at best. If all you wanted is P7W with ANC, those cans are NOT it.
Philips SHB8850 I also have are better headphones than this. That should tell you something...

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #388 of 2,912
Just got mine `nx connected them in parallel with P7 Wireless (over bluetooth) to my Macbook to compare.
First impressions:

3) bass response is close to P7W, 160Hz+ region seems more emphasized while the bottom is weaker. Doesn't sound natural.
4) ANC is weak and the profiles it has make no sense (I don't have a plane though)
6) comfort-wise, they are more grippy, but they will likely loosen-up a bit. Earcups are weird and my ears are touching them from inside. I can tell they will be much hotter than the P7W. Not as comfortable as the P7W.
7) build quality is good but not as good as the P7W, even the metal looks like plastic. Few months forward the P7W will still look the same, those will show wear and tear for sure.

8) USB audio works, but is 48kHz/16bit top - no hi-res ;-( Sound is indistinguishable from Bluetooth AAC or aptX (at least to me). I get some weird gaps in playback every once in a while, those don't happen with BT.
9) SQ is not that bad without ANC but really turns to mush with ANC on. Sounds like a very badly compressed MP3 (think 64kbit) played through a pipe.
Whoever had a P7W will be able to tell it's nowhere near as good from the first time they turn it on and hear the same familiar power-on chime the P7W has - that sound tells you everything you need to know because it's muffled badly and simply sounds cheap.

My recommendation: Get a P7 Wireless, return the PX if you can, those are $150 headphones at best. If all you wanted is P7W with ANC, those cans are NOT it.
Philips SHB8850 I also have are better headphones than this. That should tell you something...

Wow - that's the complete opposite of my experience. I have both the PX and the P7W and have been A/B ing them a lot over the last couple of days and I find the PX significantly clearer and less muffled than the P7W.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #390 of 2,912
First impressions:

You are just about the only person in this thread with this opinion. In regards to the sq, have you allowed for burn in?
Also, I think the p7w is quite unnaturally bloated and a bit loose in the bass in wireless mode. I'm quite interested in the px from the general consensus in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back