Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 12, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #331 of 2,912
Anyone have any insight into when B&W is supposed to have the PX back in stock? I want to order directly from them and am hoping to have them (and break them in a bit) before a cross-country trip in a couple weeks . . .

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #332 of 2,912
Anyone have any insight into when B&W is supposed to have the PX back in stock? I want to order directly from them and am hoping to have them (and break them in a bit) before a cross-country trip in a couple weeks . . .

Thanks!
In Singapore we're backordered till mid-December. Shyte's ridiculous.
The first thing I noticed was the bass of the P7W which I really like. I don't need ANC so I'm better off with the P7W?
Probably.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #333 of 2,912
Clamping is the easiest thing ever to adjust - it should just never be a problem except with brittle plastic.

I have a giant head, like I have to open up baseball hat adjustment; as in completely disconnected. Out of the box, yes the P7w were quite snug. So I did the same thing I always do: put them on a pillow overnight while I was playing white&pink noise through them. Problem solved in the morning.

Now that said, the P7Ws have a separate non-adjustable problem: to top band. It presses down on the top of my head too hard and the only fix there is to wait until it's uncomfortable and then move the band to a new spot on my head.

Kind of annoying, but worth it for the SQ. It'll be interesting to see how much they've addressed this with the PXs.

The PXes are indeed more comfy than the P7W. Headband is good to go right out of the box, the P7Ws fit like a vice and required breaking in (or a bit of gentle bending) at first, no such issues for the PX. Earcups seem to be a little stiff on the PX though, it just doesn't seem very plush. That doesn't mean they suck however, build materials on the PX and P7W are absolutely top notch. The leather earcups just need breaking in.

Thanks guys. If I buy them and put them on and they feel comfy, that day will be the happiest in my life :beyersmile: as I'm not very concerned about the SQ, since I loved the sound of the p7w and can imagine, a little more balanced sound would make it even better though. ANC ist not such a big deal to me. I think I'd be happy to have some noise canceled on a plane or in the city, but it would be off most of the time I guess.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #334 of 2,912
I have made such pics at the Oct. 7 hp event in Rotterdam, I need to write a review of all I tested with pics.
As far as I can remember, there was not more space inside them with the P7W and the clamping force seemed reduced.
Cool. I’ll be looking forward for that review.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #335 of 2,912
Seems amazon combined the PX reviews with the P5 S2... shady

Anyhow tempted to order current stock from online retailers vs wait for Bowers to have them in stock again.

Wonder if some of the negative reviews where first batch issues?

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #336 of 2,912
Seems amazon combined the PX reviews with the P5 S2... shady

Only on the US site for now. Let's hope Amazon will not push that through on the UK site as well ... :

By the way, on the UK site thankfully the reviews are still only referring to the PX and on top of that some good reviews have come in, including a confirmation by B&W that the PX indeed need a few days of run-in ..

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #337 of 2,912
Yesterday night the PX, connected via bluetooth to my iPhone only, kept disconnecting or, more precisely, kept turning off by itself, every few min. I did the factory reset through the app and I'll see if that happens again. They had the same behavior on the first day I received them and after the reset they worked as expected until yesterday. I'll get in touch with the support. Anyone here had a similar issue with them?
Another thing I noticed, and the P7W didn’t show that, is that when I'm playing some music via iPhone and some notification comes in, they often pause the music and I have to manually restart it.

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #338 of 2,912
Just reached a new level of amazement on the PX .. I just heard things I never heard before on any of my previous wireless cans, which include the P7W, the Momentum M2 and the Fidelio BT2.
On Radiohead's Paranoid Android, straight from the beginning, new layers of instruments appeared that I never heard before .. And from 3:36 onwards, I suddenly noticed the backing arrangements with more detail. And that for a bad recording to begin with ... :)

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #339 of 2,912
Oct 12, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #340 of 2,912
Picked mined up yesterday, here's some comparisons with the Sennheiser M2 Wireless for anyone else thinking of upgrading

Earcups are slightly bigger, i had to do more fiddling with the M2s to get comfortable. These I just put on and go. There's also no discomfort for me while wearing glasses
Headband is softer and more cushioned, doesn't leave as much of a stripe on my bald head!
Sound quality is a massive difference and, like most, the first thing I thought was they weren't very good at all. Having left them with pink noise over night, they are better and I'm quite enjoying their sound now and it'll no doubt continue to improve

I too have experienced some quirks with the wear sensor, it gets a bit out of whack if adjusting them too much on your head and I've had some random power-offs for no reason. Since doing a factory reset via the app though, it's been perfect
NC is pretty good, I'd say it's on a par with the M2s at office level. 'Voice passthrough' only really works for me on 'Amplified' but I've left it at the default as not bothered about that feature

Connecting the USB-C to a Pixel means I can charge and listen via bluetooth at the same time (with APT-X HD), which makes me feel better about the lack of 3.5mm jack on the Pixel 2. Disconnect the bluetooth and it plays audio via the USB-C connection
The one annoying thing for me right now is that, while they pair and connect to my PC running Linux, it doesn't detect as a headset so I can't use them with my PC at all. Not too bothered about this though as my bluetooth dongle, which has APT-X, doesn't use APT-X from linux anyway so it's better quality just using my phone.

I was unsure at first purely because of the sound quality but the more I use them the more I'm happy with the upgrade :)

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #341 of 2,912
Ok, so not everything is hallelujah with these cans :wink: .. I definitely found room for improvement in one area .. When connected USB-out from a Galaxy Note 8, the volume increments are way too big .. In the next firmware, Bowers & Wilkins definitely need to introduce a lot smaller steps ...

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #344 of 2,912
it does? I've a Pixel XL and all I get as options to do with the USB-C is to power it, perhaps I need to try another cable....
Yep, all i did was disconnect the bluetooth via the notification dropdown, started some music and it still came through. Mine's an XL too

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #345 of 2,912
When I asked my friends to give me their opinion on SQ on PX and M2. They said PX sounded funny. All of them preferred M2 sound.
That was my first thought too, they just didn't sound right. Now, after about 8hours of pink noise and about 4 hours of normal use they sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back