Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Apr 3, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #977 of 1,155
haven't tried this in ageees, just fired them up. Does anyone else find the bass a bit too much on them? Staging is great though, they sound really big.

Apr 30, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #980 of 1,155
Newbie here, Chris from Germany.
I’m wondering if the PI7s need to be broken in. About two weeks ago I bought a second hand pair I found on classifieds that had hardly been used, as the seller said. They are very pronounced in the upper frequencies and lacking in bass a bit. From what I’ve read here I can imagine the bass being stronger. Right now I’m using a Pioneer xdp 300r. What are your thoughts here?
To begin with I used them on my iPhone but got the impression the phone didn’t like the app, so I deleted it again, which totally messed up my phone, but that’s another story. Noise cancellation, for which I now use the left bud button, takes down all lower frequencies, so I can’t see the point of that and don’t use it.
I also have a lot of connection issues, but as I use my set up the office most of the time I’m not too bothered about that.
Thanks for stopping by.

Apr 30, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #981 of 1,155
I’m wondering if the PI7s need to be broken in. About two weeks ago I bought a second hand pair I found on classifieds that had hardly been used, as the seller said. They are very pronounced in the upper frequencies and lacking in bass a bit. From what I’ve read here I can imagine the bass being stronger. Right now I’m using a Pioneer xdp 300r. What are your thoughts here?
To begin with I used them on my iPhone but got the impression the phone didn’t like the app, so I deleted it again, which totally messed up my phone, but that’s another story. Noise cancellation, for which I now use the left bud button, takes down all lower frequencies, so I can’t see the point of that and don’t use it.
I also have a lot of connection issues, but as I use my set up the office most of the time I’m not too bothered about that.
Thanks for stopping by.
It depends on what you're used to I suppose, but I would describe the PI7 as the opposite - quite dark with lots of bass.....

Edit: I don't mean the above in a negative way, I enjoy mine a lot when I'm out and about and at work - just that's how I would describe the basic sound signature.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #982 of 1,155
It depends on what you're used to I suppose, but I would describe the PI7 as the opposite - quite dark with lots of bass.....

Edit: I don't mean the above in a negative way, I enjoy mine a lot when I'm out and about and at work - just that's how I would describe the basic sound signature.
I agree with this as well and agree it may depend on what you are used to. Just so you know where I am coming from, I tend to find Harman a bit bright for my taste and usually reduce the treble a few dbs and I do find the PI7s to be on the warmer side.

@CTDavies I used to have a lot of connection issues with my first two pairs. I had to RMA twice under warranty before I got a good working pair. This third set has been working great. Also, especially for TWS, lack of bass may mean you are not getting a great seal. Try tip rolling with aftermarket tips if the stock tips aren't working for you. I am currently using Final Audio TWS tips on mine (also made it a little brighter for me since the stock tips have that filter in it).

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #983 of 1,155
Thanks for stopping by.
Theyre not worth buying for iPhone. They sound dramatically different on AAC and its poor.

Typical B&W signature. Treble is very clear but they are dark in areas...This leads to issues with acoustic guitar which sounds poor, frankly.

Bass response is superb in texture and gravitas.

But vocals is where they shine. A few pages back I mentioned a comparison with the Campfire Solaris, and I stick by what I said, in some respects PI7 do better with vocals, especially female vocals, than Solaris or Andromeda. Not as detailed but the timbre and tonality is nicer to my ears. The timbre is very organic and lush, in terms of over ears it reminds me of a diana v2.

If you want a big upgrade from airpods pro this is it. I switched from iphone just to get them at their best and its worth it

May 1, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #984 of 1,155
Thanks for your comments everyone. I tried moving the earbuds, not clockwise but more towards my eyes, if your will, to get them further into me ear kanal which did improve the bass quite dramatically. Unfortunately they won’t stay that way so I’m assuming I need some other tips. The harsh treble wasn’t affected by this which is a shame, but I’m taking one step at a time here. As I said mine are second hand and came with one set of tips only so I’m going to look around for some alternatives.
Oh yes, I’m not using them on my iPhone. I have a Pioneer xpd 300r dap for playing music.
Any other comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

May 1, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #985 of 1,155
Thanks for your comments everyone. I tried moving the earbuds, not clockwise but more towards my eyes, if your will, to get them further into me ear kanal which did improve the bass quite dramatically. Unfortunately they won’t stay that way so I’m assuming I need some other tips. The harsh treble wasn’t affected by this which is a shame, but I’m taking one step at a time here. As I said mine are second hand and came with one set of tips only so I’m going to look around for some alternatives.
Oh yes, I’m not using them on my iPhone. I have a Pioneer xpd 300r dap for playing music.
Any other comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
In a similar place, I think they sound fairly good for a TWS on my iphone, using Tidal at the highest Rez, when I get them properly sealed in my ear (which makes huge difference for bass). I am still having a bit of an issue with the L side staying sealed and I am on about my 8th different tips. I don’t normally have this hard of a time with buds but I do know the OG apple buds corded or cordless, the ones that just sit in your ear, never have worked for me. So I am still trying to find magic tips without going extra long foam (foam is just kind of a pain, so if I can avoid it). So far the spinfit double flange are working the best, but L sealing is still an issue and they don’t fit as well in the charging case.

May 6, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #986 of 1,155
The PI7 arrived. Here are my first impressions.

Tuning:

The PI7 have a relaxed v-shape signature, much like their bigger siblings PX7. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but personally, I like it.

Noise cancelling:

There is a distinct difference between ANC on and off. If you switch it on, bass gets comically boosted and the upper mids are sharpened to balance the whole thing. It's a bit too much for my taste and I would have preferred a more modest appproach to the changes in sound signature. It's still not terrible, but the Sony XM3 perform better regarding consistency.

Passive isolation is very good. In fact, the PI7 isolate much better than the XM3. I think it's safe to keep ANC off, except on flights and noisy public transport. The latter will be tested tomorrow.

Technicalities:

B&W's dual driver setup does a very good job. Treble is clear and very detailed, bass is tight and impactful, mids are decently transparent (as far as the v-shape allows). The PI7 are technically more proficient than the XM3, but I'd prefer the latter for critical listening. Sony's tuning is just spot-on with it's sweetened Harman-response and is a more transparent listening experience than the relaxed/fun-oriented PI7. Soundstage is freaking huuuuge for a TWS. No surprises here, B&W are well known for their spatial sounding headphones.

Volume:

I don't have any problems regarding volume. Paired with my Oneplus 9, the PI7 reach hazardous volume levels and can easily keep up with the XM3.

Fit:

That's the reason I'll definitely keep the PI7. Intense workouts, change of clothing or putting on/removing a face mask will make the XM3 fall out of my ears. The PI7 fit very securely and will be my gym/workout TWS from now on.

Connection:

Again, no problems. Connection speed is flawless, just as the XM3. Haven't tried out maximum distance, but it seems good, as well. I think having a recent smartphone featuring the latest codecs is an important factor here. With my former phone (Galaxy S20+), connection dropped out no matter which TWS I used. My Oneplus 9 sends pushes the signal into space and beyond. Or at least further than I'm comfortable being from my phone while music is playing.

To be continued.
Thank you…
This is why I ordered from B&W …
Will be here tomorrow, I have the XM3’s and this sounds like an excellent addition..
On sale for $299, hopefully it’ll have all the updates pre installed..
👍

May 28, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #987 of 1,155
I must say, with a good 5 band equalizer, Bowers and Wilkins PI7’s can sound audiophile…
It’s all there, sub-bass, mids, high’s with the proper guitar, violin, piano, cello, upright bass and drum instrument sounds….
I’m so taken with classical right now, that I need to move to some rock!!

Jun 1, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #988 of 1,155
I bought a set of PI7 for my daughter. Like some others here, she faced constant connection problems. It happened with the first pair and also with the replacement set. Constructing a good sounding earphone is one thing, writing good software for it is a completely different thing (this also goes out to the guys from Devialet).

Jun 1, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #989 of 1,155
I bought a set of PI7 for my daughter. Like some others here, she faced constant connection problems. It happened with the first pair and also with the replacement set. Constructing a good sounding earphone is one thing, writing good software for it is a completely different thing (this also goes out to the guys from Devialet).
And taking care of your software with firmware updates and so on is then yet again another completely different thing, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back