Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 26, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #361 of 1,155
The PI7 arrived. Here are my first impressions.

Tuning:

The PI7 have a relaxed v-shape signature, much like their bigger siblings PX7. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but personally, I like it.

Noise cancelling:

There is a distinct difference between ANC on and off. If you switch it on, bass gets comically boosted and the upper mids are sharpened to balance the whole thing. It's a bit too much for my taste and I would have preferred a more modest appproach to the changes in sound signature. It's still not terrible, but the Sony XM3 perform better regarding consistency.

Passive isolation is very good. In fact, the PI7 isolate much better than the XM3. I think it's safe to keep ANC off, except on flights and noisy public transport. The latter will be tested tomorrow.

Technicalities:

B&W's dual driver setup does a very good job. Treble is clear and very detailed, bass is tight and impactful, mids are decently transparent (as far as the v-shape allows). The PI7 are technically more proficient than the XM3, but I'd prefer the latter for critical listening. Sony's tuning is just spot-on with it's sweetened Harman-response and is a more transparent listening experience than the relaxed/fun-oriented PI7. Soundstage is freaking huuuuge for a TWS. No surprises here, B&W are well known for their spatial sounding headphones.

Volume:

I don't have any problems regarding volume. Paired with my Oneplus 9, the PI7 reach hazardous volume levels and can easily keep up with the XM3.

Fit:

That's the reason I'll definitely keep the PI7. Intense workouts, change of clothing or putting on/removing a face mask will make the XM3 fall out of my ears. The PI7 fit very securely and will be my gym/workout TWS from now on.

Connection:

Again, no problems. Connection speed is flawless, just as the XM3. Haven't tried out maximum distance, but it seems good, as well. I think having a recent smartphone featuring the latest codecs is an important factor here. With my former phone (Galaxy S20+), connection dropped out no matter which TWS I used. My Oneplus 9 sends pushes the signal into space and beyond. Or at least further than I'm comfortable being from my phone while music is playing.

To be continued.

May 26, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #365 of 1,155
I got mine yesterday afternoon and been tip rolling with it. I had experienced "Comically Boosted" bass when activating ANC primarily with thinner/softer tips (Final Type-E for TWS, Alza Xelastec) and when the ear tips are a bit too small. It was reproducible yesterday when I switch between these softer one and the Alza Sedna Earfit short which are comparably stiffer. But not reproducible today anymore which baffles me.

SQ is excellent and with ANC off bass slightly edges out MTW2 on quantity and quality but on critical listening (ie listening for details), MTW2 edges out the PI7 a tiny little bit. Overall, I like the SQ of PI7 over my previous TWS favorite MTW2.

And the PI7 is more comfortable than MTW2 for me.

Coming from my IEM collection of Andromeda S/Gold/2020, Dorado 2020 and also the Fiio FD5, I think the PI7 is pretty close to FD5. Can't quite beat Dorado 2020 for melodic enjoyment and definitely no match for the clarity from the Andromedas. But for a TWS getting so close to the SQ of FD5, it is no easy feat. And PI7 is now my favorite TWS in terms of SQ followed by MTW>MTW2>Samsung buds pro>>samsung buds live. Source I used is Samsung ZFold 2.

Before I comment on the ANC quality, do note that PI7 with ALZA Sedna EarFit Short Light gives me a great seal already and so to me any effect of the ANC is less apparent to me. Having said that, with ALZA Sedna EarFit Short Light eartips, I notice very slightly elevated bass when ANC is turned on (more so when Auto off, less with Auto on) but nothing approaching comical levels, given the right size eartips for my ear is used. I can hear very little sound from outside when music is playing at around 50-60% volume level on my phone. One thing that surprised me is that most of the buds with ANC failed to block out wind noice very effectively. I was testing the PI7 when I went to the beach to take pictures of the blood moon yesterday and was very surprised that the ANC PI7 was able to effectively block the wind noise for me. I was surreal that I can feel breezy wind blowing around me and yet none of the wind noise comes thru the PI7 (music volume at 65%, ANC On, auto off). This indicates to me that ANC on the PI7 is quite good WHEN IT WORKS.

I have no major bluetooth connectivity between PI7 and my phone. Definitely on par for stability with my other TWS (MTW2/Buds Pro) at the moment. But will withhold my verdict until I can test out more on more crowded places.

But control customization, app refinement, EQ (or lack there of), and switching between devices definitely needs a lot of work. Some one (or some website) mentioned that PI7 has multipoint capability and I can confirm that is not true. I need to manually disconnect from one device before I can connect to another device, and definitely not connecting to TWO DEVICES SIMULTANEOUSLY. In this area, MTW2 is the best (I can switch between devices just by manually initiating a connection from another device, or via the app without disconnecting first), and Samsung buds pro is close second (best if one only uses samsung devices). But none of them support true multipoint connections.

Haven't got a chance to try streaming via the case yet. I tried connecting the case via generic type-c to type-c cable to my phone and computer and none detects the case as an device at all (I can attach usbdac from those cables so those cables work.......) I will try with the B&W type-c cable and 3.5mm plug when I have a chance today......

May 27, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #367 of 1,155
It is annoying enough as the reason to pay the top dollar would be if they achieved an ANC technology closer to real sound and definitely not a sound change of this sort. Well, they haven't, its another made in China, tuned whatever, let's charge for the name kinda product. Whilst that is harsh, they are trying it and that is not a good strategy as there won't be that many folks to splash on these for the sake of a brand name, especially when Sony is coming and will be definitely cheaper.
Had hopes..

May 27, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #368 of 1,155
Tried ANC today. It’s definitely boosted to a bloated bass sound. I tend to hate the sound sig on all TWS when the ANC is on. My xm3 and original mw07 plus had the same issue. I mostly use active pass through if the unit supports it. I’ll be grabbing the xm4 whenever that releases to check it out as well

May 27, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #369 of 1,155
It's there but it's very subtle to my ear. Just a/b in teardrop to make sure - you really have to look at it. At least for my pair...
Thanks for the Teardrop hint. I was getting crazy trying to find out what are you speaking about.

Maybe it has something to do with the tips and fit? For me comically boosted is if anything an understatement. At least for certain type of music.
Well, comically boosted meant to me the same that to @mainguy. Didnt even notice until I a/b tested Teardrop. Still to my ears is very subtle, but I can imagine why can bother some people. Anyway I don't think there is much to do against that right now, as in order to work, ANC hast to introduce extra sound to your ear. Maybe Sony will find a better way to solve those issues within the next ANC chipset. And probably that's the reason why B&W only focused on the low and mids cancelation, as probably other frequencies would make this change more noticeable.

May 28, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #370 of 1,155
I got mine yesterday afternoon and been tip rolling with it. I had experienced "Comically Boosted" bass when activating ANC primarily with thinner/softer tips (Final Type-E for TWS, Alza Xelastec) and when the ear tips are a bit too small. It was reproducible yesterday when I switch between these softer one and the Alza Sedna Earfit short which are comparably stiffer. But not reproducible today anymore which baffles me.

SQ is excellent and with ANC off bass slightly edges out MTW2 on quantity and quality but on critical listening (ie listening for details), MTW2 edges out the PI7 a tiny little bit. Overall, I like the SQ of PI7 over my previous TWS favorite MTW2.

And the PI7 is more comfortable than MTW2 for me.

Coming from my IEM collection of Andromeda S/Gold/2020, Dorado 2020 and also the Fiio FD5, I think the PI7 is pretty close to FD5. Can't quite beat Dorado 2020 for melodic enjoyment and definitely no match for the clarity from the Andromedas. But for a TWS getting so close to the SQ of FD5, it is no easy feat. And PI7 is now my favorite TWS in terms of SQ followed by MTW>MTW2>Samsung buds pro>>samsung buds live. Source I used is Samsung ZFold 2.

Before I comment on the ANC quality, do note that PI7 with ALZA Sedna EarFit Short Light gives me a great seal already and so to me any effect of the ANC is less apparent to me. Having said that, with ALZA Sedna EarFit Short Light eartips, I notice very slightly elevated bass when ANC is turned on (more so when Auto off, less with Auto on) but nothing approaching comical levels, given the right size eartips for my ear is used. I can hear very little sound from outside when music is playing at around 50-60% volume level on my phone. One thing that surprised me is that most of the buds with ANC failed to block out wind noice very effectively. I was testing the PI7 when I went to the beach to take pictures of the blood moon yesterday and was very surprised that the ANC PI7 was able to effectively block the wind noise for me. I was surreal that I can feel breezy wind blowing around me and yet none of the wind noise comes thru the PI7 (music volume at 65%, ANC On, auto off). This indicates to me that ANC on the PI7 is quite good WHEN IT WORKS.

I have no major bluetooth connectivity between PI7 and my phone. Definitely on par for stability with my other TWS (MTW2/Buds Pro) at the moment. But will withhold my verdict until I can test out more on more crowded places.

But control customization, app refinement, EQ (or lack there of), and switching between devices definitely needs a lot of work. Some one (or some website) mentioned that PI7 has multipoint capability and I can confirm that is not true. I need to manually disconnect from one device before I can connect to another device, and definitely not connecting to TWO DEVICES SIMULTANEOUSLY. In this area, MTW2 is the best (I can switch between devices just by manually initiating a connection from another device, or via the app without disconnecting first), and Samsung buds pro is close second (best if one only uses samsung devices). But none of them support true multipoint connections.

Haven't got a chance to try streaming via the case yet. I tried connecting the case via generic type-c to type-c cable to my phone and computer and none detects the case as an device at all (I can attach usbdac from those cables so those cables work.......) I will try with the B&W type-c cable and 3.5mm plug when I have a chance today......
Just got my replacement PI7 from B&W (warranty replacement) today. Connection quality is mich better but not perfect. I cant get more than 20 ft away before dropouts and had to factory reset once already because I could not get any audio after disconnecting from and trying trying to reconnect to the 3.5mm connection. However, I was able to watch an hour of Netflix with only minor blips and get through some music uninterrupted so a better sign. Will see how it performs tomorrow.

ANC is a bit buggy. I noticed that i sometimes have to toggle ANC off and on again for it to be effective. Happened with my older pair that I sent in too. I also noticed a difference in bass but, when using Spinfit or Final E, I dont mind since I it sounds bright for me otherwise (i.e. without the stock tips and ANC off). I find I listen at lower volume without the stock tips.

Regarding multipoint, I dont think anyone has said they have multipoint...they definitely do not. However, the PI7 can switch devices without disconnecting from the other device but it seems buggy and does not work on all devices. I was able to do it from LG V60 --> Oneplus 8T and V60 --> Dell XPS 9310 without disconnecting from the V60 first. However, when I tried to go from 8T --> V60, it did not work every time (in most cases I had to disconnect from my 8T first) and when it did work, only media audio switched over (call did not). My Galaxy Buds Live does this seamlessly so I think there may be some compatibility issues that hopefully a future firmware update can resolve.

May 30, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #371 of 1,155
Regarding PI7 and aptx HD. PI7 fails to negotiate aptx HD codec NOT with Bluesound Node 2i ONLY BUT with Sony NW-A45 TOO. PX7 will use aptx HD with both so it seems that B&W should find a fix.

I suspect this happens with devices that do not support aptx Adaptive but aptx and aptx HD i.e. older devices.

I submitted this information to B&W but it was redirected to local distributor. It is unfathomable hard to get in contact with proper people nowadays. Cost cutting mastery at its worst.

May 30, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #372 of 1,155
Regarding PI7 and aptx HD. PI7 fails to negotiate aptx HD codec NOT with Bluesound Node 2i ONLY BUT with Sony NW-A45 TOO. PX7 will use aptx HD with both so it seems that B&W should find a fix.

I suspect this happens with devices that do not support aptx Adaptive but aptx and aptx HD i.e. older devices.

I submitted this information to B&W but it was redirected to local distributor. It is unfathomable hard to get in contact with proper people nowadays. Cost cutting mastery at its worst.
I included a point about aptX HD not working with the Node 2i when I wrote to support. They had me do a replacement under warranty for my connectivity issues and just said they will forward my other comments to their team and did not really acknowledge the issue. Hopefully if more people bring it to their attention then maybe they will figure out how to fix it.

May 30, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #373 of 1,155

Codec handshake is entirely down to the transmission device, not the TWS in this case. My Pi7’s connect faultlessly in AptX HD to my Hiby R5 which ia an Android 8.1 / Bluetooth 4.2 device, but only connect via AptX to my newer Hiby R6 2020 which runs Android 9.0 / Bluetooth 5.0. Hiby have admitted they have not yet enabled 24/48 Bluetooth on the R6 and will be releasing a firmware update shortly to address this issue.

May 30, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #374 of 1,155
Negotiation is a two way process i.e. sink (headphones) reports its capabilities to the source. There is now something that PI7 reports back which causes several source devices capable of aptx HD to select aptx instead of aptx HD. What it is I do not know and it is not my job to do so.

It may be something that older devices do not understand but Qualcomm specifically mentions that aptx Adaptive is backwards compatible with aptx HD so should work with older devices that were made before aptx Adaptive even existed. From a marketing stanpoint only it is not feasible to assume that all old aptx HD capable devices will get a new firmware.

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #375 of 1,155
So I have been using the Pi7 for more or less 2 weeks now and here are my findings.

First all, here’s what I do not like about the product.

1. You cannot activate ambient pass-through on the buds themselves. So, if you are using the Pi7 with anything other than a phone, the feature is basically locked out. On the E8 3rd gen, it was simple tap on the left earbud and made daily commuting much more convenient. For this reason, these might not be the best for commuting.
  2. The case feels premium but I cannot dare just toss it in a bag. The plastic used, while amazing to the touch, will surely scratch if you use the case ‘like a case’. The case of the E8 and even the MTWs served their purpose better.
  3. No LDAC support. This product is the most expensive in its class (excluding the Audeze Euclid) and as such I expect that it supports the best codec the market has to offer. Also, BT headphones and earphones with Aptx Adaptive can now receive 24/96 music. I have no idea if it requires a totally different decoder and chip or not but I am hoping it is the latter and 24/96 playback can be added.
  4. I have noticed that the ambient pass-through can send what it is picking up to the wrong channel. So if you see something happening to your left, the buds playback the ‘noise’ that the activity is creating to the right. It can be disorienting. Happened just once but worth mentioning.
  5. This still is a Master/Slave connection. While it changes nothing as to how I use the product and does not cause any connectivity issues or any wrongly centered soundstage, the uneven discharging is annoying.

Now what I like about the product:

1. Truly outstanding drivers. Everyone will have a different sound signature they prefer but it is difficult to fault the technical prowess of the drivers at play. These are the best sounding BT Tws I have tried. Personally, I also love the sound signature. Music sounds dramatic, engaging and extremely powerful. I have never heard vocals as clear as on these. However, soundstage is not as wide as my E8.
  2. These look and feel really good. They are a far cry from how generic the PX7 look. They also fit comfortably and stay locked in securely.
  3. Competent ANC. It silences the noise around you well. With ANC on, I would describe the effect as STILL being aware of the disturbances around you but these being so muted that you forget about them. From memory, I am sure the Bose were better. However, the Pi7 do their job well. Do not expect high frequency noises to disappear though. With music volume at 60% and ANC on, I can barely make out if anyone next to me is talking or if the taxi I am in has its engine on or off. It also needs to be said that the passive isolation itself is amazing so it is difficult to properly assess how effective the ANC is on its own. In short, it compares favourably to other similar products in the market.
  4. Not much difference in how these sound with ANC on and off besides a slight increase in bass response when ANC is on.
  5. Voice pickup during calls is outstanding. A real highlight. I have been told these sound clearer than the mics on my Note 8.
  6. No major connection issues to report. I did have one instance where there was no sound coming through either bud even when they were connected, but besides that, nothing to report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back