Bowers & Wilkins PI7
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #391 of 1,155
Any IPhone owners with these...how is the volume level ?

Have read reports of it being on the low side..
Unless you plan on damaging your hearing I cannot believe that volume is an issue. This is coming from a 46 year old with tinnitus. But seriously they are fine unless really really loud is your thing.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #392 of 1,155
Any IPhone owners with these...how is the volume level ?

Have read reports of it being on the low side..
Strangely the volume differs if you use different music player apps on the same device.

Happens on my Note 8. 60% volume on the Samsung Music Player is around 80-85% volume if I use Poweramp. And this is with all effects and sound enchantements off.

So I wonder what happens if you use a music player besides the default iOS player on an iPhone.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #393 of 1,155
Strangely the volume differs if you use different music player apps on the same device.

Happens on my Note 8. 60% volume on the Samsung Music Player is around 80-85% volume if I use Poweramp. And this is with all effects and sound enchantements off.

So I wonder what happens if you use a music player besides the default iOS player on an iPhone.
Some people have reported higher volume on android and other players. I’ve used mine on iPhone and a pixel. Never needed to go past 50 percent either way.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #394 of 1,155
Some people have reported higher volume on android and other players. I’ve used mine on iPhone and a pixel. Never needed to go past 50 percent either way.
I can confirm my Note 8 is very loud with the default music player, average in volume with Poweramp player, and very low in volume with the BT-W3 connected to my phone . And i cannot explain this.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #397 of 1,155
I now had the opportunity to try these out and this was my fastest decision to return an audio item ever. To me, they sound unacceptably bright (brighter than the DT 880 Pro) - Edit: this only applies when listening without ANC on - and despite giving the Android app the excessive permissions it was asking for, i never managed to connect it to the PI7 (on a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra). Extremely disappointing.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #398 of 1,155
Alright, so after a few days of listening, here's what I found. First of all, at first listen, I was shocked how much lower the volume is vs the Sonys. it's almost like 50% lower. But it turns out there's a strange flaw, hopefully fixable by firmware, where if you take one earpiece out and the case closes before you take the other one out, the overall volume is cut in half, which makes it so that even at max volume, it's too low.

The other thing is that the Pass-through function also has a flaw. If it's enabled when you take the PI7s out of the case, bass levels is boosted way up and treble way down. You'd have to turn off Pass-through and noise cancellation from the app to make it sound normal. I think if you just turn off the pass-through before you put it back in the case, it doesn't do this.

Thankfully, I found a workaround to these two things because I was so ready to return it. Hopefully I won't run into anymore problems.

Now, compared to the Sonys, wow! The PI7 makes the Sonys sound congested, especially in the midbass. The bass on the PI7 is pretty strong, a bit too strong with certain modern music at times, but it sounds tight and pretty good textured. More like a really good IEM than your typical TWS. It is surprisingly agile, too. There's no boominess, no flabby sound, just good strong bass on the stock earbud. I tried the Final Audio which I had on the Sonys, and that made the bass way too overpowering, so the stocks are fine for me.

The mids are pretty nice, although I sometimes can use a bit more mid-treble, but by no means is it recessed. It has really good body and timbre as well as imaging. It's not too forward or too intimate.

The treble and mid-treble I think is where the PI7 really shines. The addition of a BA means even with a strong solid bass, the treble and higher part of the melody remains clear and distinct. I wouldn't say it's airy, but it's crisp and pronounced with really good separation and timbre. Most importantly, it never gets harsh or fatiguing.

Soundstage and imaging is really good as well, and I'd say the PI7 is closer to my LCD-3 than any other TWS I've owned. I've own the Noble Audio Falcon which kinda has a weird frequency response to me and always sound lacking a bit, and while the Sony XM3 does keep up w/ the timbre and tonality, the PI7 beats it every other aspect, ESPECIALLY fit!

I've always had problems with the XM3 and even the Noble Audio Falco. Both fall out my ear, with the XM3 being the worst at this. If I'm eating and even talking, the XM3 has a tendency of falling out, and if I listen to music in bed and I lay my head to one side the XM3 would fall out. This is not so with the PI7. The way you rotate it backwards secures the PI7 very tightly. I've eaten with it, I've shaken my head, and I've even listened to music with one side on my pillow. In all cases, the PI7 does not budge.

So yes, there are some quirks with volume and pass-through, which I hope Bowers and Wilkin will fix in future firmware, but this TWS is as audiophile-grade as I've listened.

Oh, it makes pretty good Zoom and phone calls, too. Once in a while, the other person on Zoom may asked me to repeated a few words again, but for the most part, they can hear me clearly.
Is the sound of the PI7 bright like the Galaxy Buds or muffled like the Sennheiser CX400BT?

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #399 of 1,155
I now had the opportunity to try these out and this was my fastest decision to return an audio item ever. To me, they sound unacceptably bright (brighter than the DT 880 Pro) and despite giving the Android app the excessive permissions it was asking for, i never managed to connect it to the PI7 (on a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra). Extremely disappointing.
Sounds like a case of bad seal and/or fit. I would not describe these as bright at all if you have a good seal and use stock tips. Sounded a bit bright for me with Spinfits (and more so with Final Audio Type E) but I have gotten used to it and they sound great. With the stock tips, it sounds very warm and smooth with the stock tips and that filter they put in there As a point of reference, I find Harman target bright for my taste and fatiguing and use the black foam filter on my Aeon 2 Closed Noire which are pretty close to Harman. I would not describe PI7s as bright at all.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #400 of 1,155
Is the sound of the PI7 bright like the Galaxy Buds or muffled like the Sennheiser CX400BT?
Don't have either but not as muffled as my original MTWs without EQ. Use different tips and not muffled at all.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #401 of 1,155
Sounds like a case of bad seal and/or fit. I would not describe these as bright at all if you have a good seal and use stock tips. Sounded a bit bright for me with Spinfits (and more so with Final Audio Type E) but I have gotten used to it and they sound great. With the stock tips, it sounds very warm and smooth with the stock tips and that filter they put in there As a point of reference, I find Harman target bright for my taste and fatiguing and use the black foam filter on my Aeon 2 Closed Noire which are pretty close to Harman. I would not describe PI7s as bright at all.
Yes, i was rather irritated, too, as the fit was actually excellent and the result was so different from all i read about them. Maybe something funny about my pair? Who knows, but considering their horrible app and the connectivity problems, i'll abstain from trying another one.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #402 of 1,155
So, turns out these sound really good for a TWS when ANC is turned on, without ANC they sound much brighter. However, as ideally they should sound identical with or without ANC, the ANC seems to be rather mediocre and produces very obvious inherent noise and Bluetooth likes to stutter from time to time for no discernable reason (and the battery is supposed to be not that great, but i haven't really tested this and probably won't get to do so) i still think they don't live up to the price premium.

I'll return them and try my luck with Sony's WF-1000XM4 as these are supposed to sound pretty good, too, offer better ANC and battery life (and hopefully better Bluetooth) and cost quite a bit less. The sound quality of the PI7 (only!) with ANC is definitely a plus, but imo not a big enough one to make up for the weaknesses of this TWS.

Edit: Also, even with ANC there is still some irritating sibilance...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #403 of 1,155
So, turns out these sound really good for a TWS when ANC is turned on, without ANC they sound much brighter. However, as ideally they should sound identical with or without ANC, the ANC seems to be rather mediocre and produces very obvious inherent noise and Bluetooth likes to stutter from time to time for no discernable reason (and the battery is supposed to be not that great, but i haven't really tested this and probably won't get to do so) i still think they don't live up to the price premium.

I'll return them and try my luck with Sony's WF-1000XM4 as these are supposed to sound pretty good, too, offer better ANC and battery life (and hopefully better Bluetooth) and cost quite a bit less. The sound quality of the PI7 (only!) with ANC is definitely a plus, but imo not a big enough one to make up for the weaknesses of this TWS.

Edit: Also, even with ANC there is still some irritating sibilance...
I personally don't see the point in more battery. These get 4.5 hours, then pop them in the case for 5 minutes and you get 45min more. I just haven't needed more at any point with tws, I had the mw07+ for a while which have huge battery life...and well, it made no difference. There's like 0 users who won't have them in the case after 2 hours of listening imo, unless you keep them on for an entire plane journey, a rare event.

I'm only saying this as I think the battery figure is just salesmanship at this point, although that depends on degradation too. Usually we're talking 10% degradation a year or so, and tbh I only need 2 hours so these should be good for years.

Good luck with the xm4. Id be damn suprised if they sound as good as these though.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #404 of 1,155
I second that. Battery life above 4hrs and quick charging will suffice for 99.9% of people.

Another point is that the Pi7 have relatively big drivers compared to the Sony buds. While bigger drivers do not always mean better SQ, they definitely mean less battery life in the same form factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back