Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 18, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #332 of 1,155
Question. From what I read the PI7s come with 24-bit audio processing. Does that mean that these earbuds will support or play Apple's Lossless format?
It supports aptX HD and adaptive, which are codecs capable of hires Bluetooth streaming (up to 24/48 I believe). If you are using an Apple device, then it likely does not support these codecs. You need to make sure your transmitting device supports these codecs.

May 19, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #333 of 1,155
Question. From what I read the PI7s come with 24-bit audio processing. Does that mean that these earbuds will support or play Apple's Lossless format?
Apple's lossless files are in ALAC. The only information we do not have is through which codec iPhones and iOS devices are supposed to transmit the HD audio. iPhones normally stream through AAC BT whether you are playing mp3, FLAC, .wav etc... However, AAC BT cannot transmit 24 Bit audio. So until we know which BT codec Apple plans on using, it is difficult to say.

I would assume that provided you use the case connected to the device decoding and playing the ALAC file, it should play fine.

All headphones and earphones can play 24 Bit ALAC, there is nothing different about them. In the case of BT devices, the only issue is transmitting it to the playing device and having an internal DSP in the buds that can decode the file.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #334 of 1,155
My node2i friend, i have the same issue, BUT i just had this from bluesound "
Thank you for getting back to me with the update.

In this case, to help me better understand the situation may you please pair your Node 2i to your B&W earphones via Bluetooth.

Then, play a song from one of the music streaming services on our BluOS Controller App to your earphones, and once the song finishes please pause the playback.

From here, may you please then send me a diagnostics log from your Node 2i.

Please ensure that you are able to see and select your Node 2i under the "My Players" drawer (house-shaped icon) within our BluOS Controller App before proceeding.

You can send this log by going to Help -> Send Support Request in the BluOS app. You can find this on the left side of the desktop app or by selecting the 3 lines in the top left corner of the mobile app."

I have just sent the logs...They should be able to prove the node2i is transmitting in aptx hd, and the issue is with the Pi7, so we can go back to B&W with evidence.
Just closing the loop from bluesound support, a very helpful chap called Eric just wrote to me, so they confirmed the node2i was not transmitting in aptx hd,

"In this case, I have forwarded a report and logs along with your input and feedback to our Quality Assurance Team for further review, testing, and consideration in a future update.

Unfortunately, we here in technical support are not provided a timeline on future development and releases so I can not say for certain when this update will become available."

May 20, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #335 of 1,155
Apple's lossless files are in ALAC. The only information we do not have is through which codec iPhones and iOS devices are supposed to transmit the HD audio. iPhones normally stream through AAC BT whether you are playing mp3, FLAC, .wav etc... However, AAC BT cannot transmit 24 Bit audio. So until we know which BT codec Apple plans on using, it is difficult to say.

I would assume that provided you use the case connected to the device decoding and playing the ALAC file, it should play fine.

All headphones and earphones can play 24 Bit ALAC, there is nothing different about them. In the case of BT devices, the only issue is transmitting it to the playing device and having an internal DSP in the buds that can decode the file.
iPhone’s output maxes out at 24-bit/48kHz, they have confirmed they will be using ALAC for normal lossless, so with the cck cable and creative BT W3 connected at aptx hd I'm hoping we can use our PI7's to listen to lossless audio natively from an iphone, fingers crossed

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #336 of 1,155
iPhone’s output maxes out at 24-bit/48kHz, they have confirmed they will be using ALAC for normal lossless, so with the cck cable and creative BT W3 connected at aptx hd I'm hoping we can use our PI7's to listen to lossless audio natively from an iphone, fingers cross...
Like you said, the BT-W3 will always be an option. However, I am sure i read somewhere that the lightning port on the iPhone is capped at 16bit if you are passing though raw audio.

May 20, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #337 of 1,155
Like you said, the BT-W3 will always be an option. However, I am sure i read somewhere that the lightning port on the iPhone is capped at 16bit if you are passing though raw audio.
Lightning Audio Module is capped at 24/48 but could be lifted to higer rates if Apple chooses to.

May 20, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #338 of 1,155
Went a long walk today using the iPhone 12 Pro and the creative w3 aptx hd adaptor sounded great but every time I turned my head to the right it static popped like a drop out, iPhone was in my left pocket, I know aptx hd has proximity limits but this was no more than 1.5 ft. Also when I started my walk it was dropping out all the time on standard Bluetooth aac, I had to forget this device in Bluetooth settings and repaired, and then seemed fine, anyone else have problems with drop outs
Dumb question but how do you connect the pI7 to the w3 adapter. I have it plugged into the iPhone via cck but what’s the next step? Thanks.

the w3 is in pairing mode but it doesn’t show as a device on my phone Bluetooth settings. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #339 of 1,155
Oh no really!!
Dumb question but how do you connect the pI7 to the w3 adapter. I have it plugged into the iPhone via cck but what’s the next step? Thanks.

the w3 is in pairing mode but it doesn’t show as a device on my phone Bluetooth settings. Am I missing something?
put the pi7 into pairing mode as well, it should just connect,

May 21, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #341 of 1,155
For those who have used the Song WF1000xs I am really interested in how the controls compare. I had the Sony's and found the controls un-usable, maybe it was pilot error on my part but even play pause was fussy for me. Yet to find buds who have controls as simple as the airpods pro even if the airpods sound a little uninspiring.

May 21, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #342 of 1,155
I got delivery of my Pi7 2 days back.

No drop outs or any connection issues at all when connected to my Note 8 or Macbook M1. They are also really really loud. I am listening to them at 60%.

I am reserving judgment on the SQ until my BT-W3 are here in 2-3 days and I can stream Aptx-HD.

I tried to call someone in the morning and they reported that I sound clearer than when talking directly on the phone. They also said i sounded slightly distant but that they preferred the voice pick-up of the buds. Call me surprised!

The charcaol units look really good imo. However I feel the plastic on the case might scratch up easy.

May 21, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #343 of 1,155
I got delivery of my Pi7 2 days back.

No drop outs or any connection issues at all when connected to my Note 8 or Macbook M1. They are also really really loud. I am listening to them at 60%.

I am reserving judgment on the SQ until my BT-W3 are here in 2-3 days and I can stream Aptx-HD.

I tried to call someone in the morning and they reported that I sound clearer than when talking directly on the phone. They also said i sounded slightly distant but that they preferred the voice pick-up of the buds. Call me surprised!

The charcaol units look really good imo. However I feel the plastic on the case might scratch up easy.
Felt the same way regarding volume and call quality. I barely got over 40% volume and think I got hearing loss every time I did a factory reset. All these reports of good connection quality are giving me hope. What device were you using to stream via aptX HD? Or am I misreading and you are waiting for your BT-W3 to try aptX HD? If the latter, please let us know how connection quality is once you get it. I get a feeling that aptX and AAC work better on these (although mine struggled with aptX LL via the 3.5mm adapter--> case --> PI7 so I still think mine were defective).

May 21, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #345 of 1,155
Don't forget going through any shop security door or station, it drops connection and stops playback.
Bass is just too much.. Even for me🙄
I have had Bluetooth interference on other TWS too, strangely everytime I walked into the Target near Penn Station in NYC. Must be some new sensors they are using since that store is probably only a few years old. I don't think that is an issue specific to the PI7. I'll have to test this out once my PI7s get back to me. Haven't been in a store since the pandemic lockdowns started over a year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back