Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 12, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #213 of 1,155
My replacement PI7s arrived today. Wireless charging now works, no sizzling in the right earpiece when ANC is on, sound is the same (which is good), no bluetooth dropouts so far (early days yet, though), ANC is the same - which is OK, since it seemed fine on my original pair.

The only oddity is that on first pairing, the device name was the MAC address rather than the correct name. Removing and repairing fixed this, though.

May 12, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #214 of 1,155
I’m using the ones that came with my FH7’s, I believe they are the CP145’s.

Thank you for citing this @ricthaman Does anyone else have input on spinfit suggestions? I've ordered a CP360 set in hopes of helping the passive side of ANC a bit. The OEM small tips are a little small for me, fine when working, while the larger are far too large.

Really impressed with sound quality on these P17s (Note20U, aptX is my usual reality) but the right side bud usually discharges 20% faster than the left. The app report seems to jump around a bit +/- 3-4%. I haven't run it to zero to see if it's a reporting issue or a true representation of the remaining life.

May 12, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #215 of 1,155
As others may have mentioned, you iPhone or iPad Bluetooth connection is limited to 256k AAC. However, your iPad 3.5mm is a pure analogue output capable of deliverind 24/192 hi-res music. The Lightning Audio Module restricts output to 24/48, but still hi-res. When you connect the Pi7 Case to the iPad 3.5mm it’s using the full range of whatever music your feeding it and transmitting via AptX LL which whilst not 24/48, is still above CD quality 16/41. Can’t recall if you’re using Qobuz or Tidal, but if so, you will have certainly noticed a huge difference.

I also tried connecting the Pi7’s to my iPhone 12 for comparison, and can say the volume was more than acceptable, but the quality was not anywhere near via my Hiby DAP.

So I’ve isolated the volume issue, it appears to be somewhat random. I noticed earlier I had the buds connected to my iPhone, they played quiet, at full bar, but then randomly the volume bar dropped to about 70% but it stayed the same volume...SO I could raise it to increase the max vol to solid levels.

This has happened now playing from my iPhone, iPad and the case too. So it’s something with the buds. If it’s too quiet I pop them in and take them out, sometimes a couple of times, and it resolves it, usually.

They sound good, but if this continues I’m not so sure. I only use tws for convenience.

May 12, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #216 of 1,155
Somewhat same here. At least from the case I find it hard to tell how loud they will play. From my phone it seems to be stable. From my DAP as well (haven't used that much), but at a much much lower level than my phone. Could obviously by the DAP. But it is annoying because some albums are just too low from my DAP.

May 12, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #217 of 1,155
I just had a response from B&W on this issue, "
The connection will be negotiated by the source device as to what connection it can support for supplying audio to the Pi7's, the Pi7's as an endpoint are just responding to what is being requested of them. "

If a connection type needs to be forced, it would need to be done via the source device (Phone/Tablet or Bluesound Node 2i).

The Headphones basically broadcast all the connection options available, the source device (the Bluesound Node 2 i) then decides which it will use and confirms the connection. Obviously unlike a phone for example, the Bluesound Node 2i doesn't have the software or screen to set/request or change the connection type that has been negotiated.

Unfortunately we can't make the headphones force a connection as they are an endpoint so just reacting to what the source is requesting.

Hmmm. not possible to force aptx hd on the node2i
And now a response from bluesound…..
“In this case, after researching the B&W PI7 earphones it does not appear to support aptx HD, but rather aptxaccording to their official website. Therefore, it will be best for you to get in touch with the manufacturer (B&W) for further assistance from here. “

I have written back and sent them the manual where it clearly states b&w pi7 supports aptx hd ping pong game has begun

May 12, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #218 of 1,155
So, I've been following this thread in the background for a few days. Despite all of the gripes I've been seeing when it comes to bugs, I've decided to jump in the water. Ordered the Charcoals from Best Buy yesterday, shipped today, will be here no later than Friday. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow.

The reviews seem to be unanimous across the board that these are the best sounding true wireless earbuds out right now. That combined with the unique case and the possibilities it brings is enough for me. I'm pretty confident the bugs can be worked out via firmware. Looking forward to trying these. I already have the AirPods Pro. These should compliment those well when I want more sound quality in an ultra portable package.

May 12, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #219 of 1,155
And now a response from bluesound…..
“In this case, after researching the B&W PI7 earphones it does not appear to support aptx HD, but rather aptxaccording to their official website. Therefore, it will be best for you to get in touch with the manufacturer (B&W) for further assistance from here. “

I have written back and sent them the manual where it clearly states b&w pi7 supports aptx hd ping pong game has begun
That was a fast response from Bluesound. I love the Node 2i (have two of them) but found their customer support to be lacking a bit.

I reached out to them about a broken toslink jack and it took them a few weeks each time to get back to me with generic questions that showed they had not read my emails at all. I gave up.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #220 of 1,155
I will persist, be good to know if anyone has any wireless bt headphones connected at aptx hd to the node2i…. Ps the sound quality over aptx on the node 2i compared to aac is simply stunning … now if we could just get hd

May 12, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #221 of 1,155
I will persist, be good to know if anyone has any wireless bt headphones connected at aptx hd to the node2i…. Ps the sound quality over aptx on the node 2i compared to aac is simply stunning … now if we could just get hd
Yes, my Qudelix 5K is able to connect via aptX HD to both of mine. Have also used a Shure BT2 for that purpose as well.

May 13, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #223 of 1,155
So I just ordered one in Charcoal from a UK authorised seller. Should be with me in about 10 days. I wonder why they are in such low stock everywhere, especially the Charcoal units. Are the Pi7s selling like crazy or what? :D

Seems like it is universally agreed that they sound phenomenal and are pretty much comfortable so the absolute basics for tws are covered. Besides, these are the most beautiful and elegant tws I have seen. I understand I might be the minority here but I have skipped a number of highly reviewed products because I found them looking unappealing (Audeze Deva for example). Open back headphones that will only use at home are one thing, a product that I will wear alongside my work attire among others needs to look great.

I hope that extra button (currently not being used) on the case is hiding a nice surprise for all current and future owners of the Pi7s!

May 13, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #224 of 1,155
Thank you for citing this @ricthaman Does anyone else have input on spinfit suggestions? I've ordered a CP360 set in hopes of helping the passive side of ANC a bit. The OEM small tips are a little small for me, fine when working, while the larger are far too large.

Really impressed with sound quality on these P17s (Note20U, aptX is my usual reality) but the right side bud usually discharges 20% faster than the left. The app report seems to jump around a bit +/- 3-4%. I haven't run it to zero to see if it's a reporting issue or a true representation of the remaining life.
The 360s do not fit the core, so suggest you try the 145s or the 100s.

May 13, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #225 of 1,155
I feel like a lot of the guys saying the ANC is good is confusing it with noise reduction achieved with the combination of ANC + passive noise cancellation. I agree the combination of the two reduces noise (still lets the highs in) but compared to something like Bose QC Earbuds, the ANC is really on the weaker side of things. God forbid you eartips dont fit well, then all sorts of external sound comes through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back