Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 12, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #182 of 1,155
Since the codec to be used is determined at the source device apparently, I wonder which codec will be streamed when the case is connected to a game console though a 3.5mm cable. Classic aptx will be unusable in this scenario.
APTX - Low Latency if you use your jack to USB-C cable and in the specs of qualcomm it gives you 40ms latency. I tried it and it is quite ok.

May 12, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #183 of 1,155
APTX - Low Latency if you use your jack to USB-C cable and in the specs of qualcomm it gives you 40ms latency. I tried it and it is quite ok.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

Except from the range of different experiences regarding the ANC, this is looking like a really good purchase. It can cover many use cases from gaming at home to commuting to sports.

I am hoping the issues with ANC are only at software level. Fingers crossed for a firmware update really soon!

May 12, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #184 of 1,155
Personally I wouldn't recommend these before they have addressed at least some of the issues raised in this thread. If they could fix them all I would highly recommend these, but as they are today they are not very good overall in my opinion- especially considering the price tag. For usd100 sure. Then you can accept some issues, but not for 4x that.

May 12, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #185 of 1,155
Just did an a/b test
Playing via the case USB C into iPad Pro
Vs iPad Pro
vs iPhone

The case is better by far, night and day difference. Louder, thicker sound, actually just what I was looking for in terms of an increase in overall impact. It’s pretty darn impressive via the case imo.

Does anyone know exactly why this might be? If I was to use a phone or source with Aptx, like the Xperia 1 ii, do you think i’d get a similar result as going via the case?

Also I decided to quickly a/b airpods pro vs PI7 through the case, and damn...it’s hard to go back to the Airpods Pro. Listening to Grimes so Heavy I fell through the Earth, bass, impact, everything was so much more cohesive and powerful on the B&W. It’s a serious upgrade in SQ, and APP sounds thin, rattly and not fully present at all frequencies in comparison.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #186 of 1,155
Just did an a/b test
Playing via the case USB C into iPad Pro
Vs iPad Pro
vs iPhone

The case is better by far, night and day difference. Louder, thicker sound, actually just what I was looking for in terms of an increase in overall impact. It’s pretty darn impressive via the case imo.

Does anyone know exactly why this might be? If I was to use a phone or source with Aptx, like the Xperia 1 ii, do you think i’d get a similar result as going via the case?

Also I decided to quickly a/b airpods pro vs PI7 through the case, and damn...it’s hard to go back to the Airpods Pro. Listening to Grimes so Heavy I fell through the Earth, bass, impact, everything was so much more cohesive and powerful on the B&W. It’s a serious upgrade in SQ, and APP sounds thin, rattly and not fully present at all frequencies in comparison.
And the BW app reported the same BT codec being used in all 3 scenarios despite one sounding better?

May 12, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #187 of 1,155
And the BW app reported the same BT codec being used in all 3 scenarios despite one sounding better?
Not Using the app to check. I just went back and forth on tracks, used 10s samples to compare nuances. I think it’s certainly better, it’s objectively louder, and different. I’m presuming the case transmits differently to the iPhone/iPad or it does something, i’m not sure. I’ve emailed B&W about it to try and get some insight into what’s going on.

Edit: B&W already got back to me, apparently this is what’s going on:

‘Hi Zeb,

When streaming from the case it will be using an aptX connection to the Pi7's rather than the AAC connection typically used by apple devices.’

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #188 of 1,155
Not Using the app to check. I just went back and forth on tracks, used 10s samples to compare nuances. I think it’s certainly better, it’s objectively louder, and different. I’m presuming the case transmits differently to the iPhone/iPad or it does something, i’m not sure. I’ve emailed B&W about it to try and get some insight into what’s going on.
I think the point the previous poster was trying to make was that the codec might be making a difference. Based on reports here, the case may be using aptX when transmitting audio received via USB C but your ipad and iphone would not support aptX and are likely using AAC instead.

May 12, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #189 of 1,155
Personally I wouldn't recommend these before they have addressed at least some of the issues raised in this thread. If they could fix them all I would highly recommend these, but as they are today they are not very good overall in my opinion- especially considering the price tag. For usd100 sure. Then you can accept some issues, but not for 4x that.
I totally agree with you. That is why I have yet to pull the trigger. I am following reviews and user feedback really closely. I admit though that I am very very close to ordering one in Charcoal.

The ability to use my TWS with:

1. a game console with minimal delay,
2. while commuting with reasonable ANC, and,
3. with my laptop through USB-C without worrying about my laptop's BT codec seems a good proposition to me.

I was eyeing the Fiio BTA30 around the time I saw the Pi7 and that itself on its own is around USD100.

But then again, if the user feedback takes a nose dive once more people get their units or when those expecting replacement units get theirs, I will look elsewhere.

May 12, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #190 of 1,155
I think the point the previous poster was trying to make was that the codec might be making a difference. Based on reports here, the case may be using aptX when transmitting audio received via USB C but your ipad and iphone would not support aptX and are likely using AAC instead.
Yup I saw the posts. Difference is obvious to the ears though. B&W emailed me back saying the case would be using aptx even when connected to my iPad, not sure if this is the case Or how it all works tbh.

May 12, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #192 of 1,155
Yup I saw the posts. Difference is obvious to the ears though. B&W emailed me back saying the case would be using aptx even when connected to my iPad, not sure if this is the case Or how it all works tbh.
I suspected that this is what was going on, AAC vs APTX.

How the case is determining which BT codec to use when connected via usb-c still remains a mystery to me. I would not imagine the case is content-aware and can adapt (Aptx Adaptive) to the type of media being played.

For example, if I connect the case via usb-c to a device like a laptop or a phone which can only natively stream Aptx and AAC and I try to playback a 24-bit file, does the case stick to Aptx or does it choose Aptx-HD? And then what happens if I start a video game on my laptop?

I will possibly write to BW to understand the full abilities and limitations of the case. Paying this premium over other TWS is also paying for the abilities of this case.

May 12, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #193 of 1,155

How the case is determining which BT codec to use when connected via usb-c still remains a mystery to me. I would not imagine the case is content-aware and can adapt (Aptx Adaptive) to the type of media being played.

For example, if I connect the case via usb-c to a device like a laptop or a phone which can only natively stream Aptx and AAC and I try to playback a 24-bit file, does the case stick to Aptx or does it choose Aptx-HD? And then what happens if I start a video game on my laptop?

I will possibly write to BW to understand the full abilities and limitations of the case. Paying this premium over other TWS is also paying for the abilities of this case.
Yeah I’d write to them if I were you. I’m not sure how the case does it, but it’s definately changing the iPad signal. I can literally unplug the case, connect to the pI7 via bluetooth on my iPad instead, and immediately listen to the same bit of audio - considerable difference. I’m really impressed with it actually, especially as Apple always tout their device Audio capabilities, bluetooth and so on, and this case is clearly much better than an iPad Pro at broadcasting wireless audio.

Pretty darn good. when I bought these I couldn’t have cared less about the case tbh, but now I know it can make apple products sound better i’d say it’s a very undersold feature. I’m guessing it’ll do the same for macbooks, mac’s, etc.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #195 of 1,155

I would assume it does not change aptX to aptX HD depending on the content. I am not even aware of phones that operate this way. As I understand it, aptX, aptX HD and aptX adaptive are all separate codecs. When streaming via aptX adaptive, I believe the bitrate and latency is adjusted but still aptX adaptive. This is how LDAC works. On my devices, there appears to be a hierarchy where if your device and receiver support aptX HD (e.g. my LG V60/OnePlus 8T/Bluesound Node 2i --> Shure BT2) then I will get aptX HD regardless of whether I am playing 16/44.1 or 24/192 content. Same would happen when using any of those 2 phones I mentioned above with my Qudelix 5K (i.e. if set to LDAC or aptX adaptive, the phones don't switch to a lesser codec based on content). I would think the case would work the same way unless you are aware of any Bluetooth devices that actually switch codecs based on content. I don't think we have seen anything to indicate the case can do aptX HD yet but will test this out of curiosity once my PI7s get here (hopefully this week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back