Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 11, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #166 of 1,155
Hello from Mauritius.

I am strongly thinking about pulling the trigger and importing the Pi7 from the US or the UK. However, since they look like they are bigger than average, I was wondering about the fit. Of course each one's ears will be different, but for those who have already received their units, how do you find the fit and stability?

My current tws are the Beoplay E8 3rd Gen and these feel very secure in my ears.

Thank you for your inputs :)
Hey mate. I just did a 5km run with them and theyre completely secure. Volume on the low side from iPhone though, but not from other devices.

May 11, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #167 of 1,155
Fit is good for me as well. Better than the Jabra Elite Active 75t which are supposed to have one of the better fits (obviously all rather subjective).

Good things about the PI7 for me at the moment is fit and sound. Everything else is not.

May 11, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #168 of 1,155
Thank you very much for your help. Would you two have any comments regarding the case? I am sure i read a review somewhere saying the case felt flimsy. No other review i read, except that one, said anything about the case. I assume it is because it is just 'fine'.

May 11, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #170 of 1,155
Just got a FedEx shipping notification so hoping that is the PI7 that I ordered over two weeks ago. If so, will let you know once they arrive Friday. That was one of my intended use cases for these.
I just had a response from B&W on this issue, "
The connection will be negotiated by the source device as to what connection it can support for supplying audio to the Pi7's, the Pi7's as an endpoint are just responding to what is being requested of them. "

If a connection type needs to be forced, it would need to be done via the source device (Phone/Tablet or Bluesound Node 2i).

The Headphones basically broadcast all the connection options available, the source device (the Bluesound Node 2 i) then decides which it will use and confirms the connection. Obviously unlike a phone for example, the Bluesound Node 2i doesn't have the software or screen to set/request or change the connection type that has been negotiated.

Unfortunately we can't make the headphones force a connection as they are an endpoint so just reacting to what the source is requesting.

Hmmm. not possible to force aptx hd on the node2i

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #172 of 1,155
I just had a response from B&W on this issue, "
The connection will be negotiated by the source device as to what connection it can support for supplying audio to the Pi7's, the Pi7's as an endpoint are just responding to what is being requested of them. "

If a connection type needs to be forced, it would need to be done via the source device (Phone/Tablet or Bluesound Node 2i).

The Headphones basically broadcast all the connection options available, the source device (the Bluesound Node 2 i) then decides which it will use and confirms the connection. Obviously unlike a phone for example, the Bluesound Node 2i doesn't have the software or screen to set/request or change the connection type that has been negotiated.

Unfortunately we can't make the headphones force a connection as they are an endpoint so just reacting to what the source is requesting.

Hmmm. not possible to force aptx hd on the node2i

The question then is how does it decide which connection is available?

To me it connects to the DAP when in aptX-HD, but it doesn't play. How is that possible?

May 11, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #173 of 1,155
Does anyone know of any workarounds to artificially boost volume in a pair of tws, via software?

It’s a shame, i think the PI7 sound fantastic, but they just need a notch more volume in some tracks, especially older recordings.

May 11, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #174 of 1,155
The question then is how does it decide which connection is available?

To me it connects to the DAP when in aptX-HD, but it doesn't play. How is that possible?
Probably not a good answer but it’s likely on the DAP end. My connected to my pixel in AptxHD as the default mode. I didn’t even need to force it. So much fragmentation out there that it’s probably really easy for something small to disrupt performance.

May 11, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #175 of 1,155
Well, some notes:
  • Case with Jack-to-usb-c: APTX - Low Latency
  • Case USB-C to USB-C: different codecs. WIndows 10 connects using APTX and my Dac with APTX-HD (I could see that also in the smartphone app). Could not use it with my smartphone for any reason I don't understand. At the beginning I though it uses the device codecs implementation, but this is just a guess. Linux detects it as Digital SPDIF output, but could not check the codec in use with the earbuds. I will try to find out more later.
  • Bluetooth: Smartphone - APTX Adaptative (Android 11 device). Windows 10 APTX. DAC (old Android 6.0) APTX-HD. Linux: I've change between codecs (I can use APTX-HD, APTX, SBC and AAC), so I will try to explore a bit further the differences :).
I hope that help.
You were able to get AptxHD using the case?

May 11, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #176 of 1,155
Probably not a good answer but it’s likely on the DAP end. My connected to my pixel in AptxHD as the default mode. I didn’t even need to force it. So much fragmentation out there that it’s probably really easy for something small to disrupt performance.

I wouldn't know of course, but it would be rather absurd to me if they have a standard which isn't so that two units with that standard can't talk to each other. Unfortunately I don't have another aptX-HD unit to test them on - either way - a DAP or another headset.

May 11, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #177 of 1,155
I wouldn't know of course, but it would be rather absurd to me if they have a standard which isn't so that two units with that standard can't talk to each other. Unfortunately I don't have another aptX-HD unit to test them on - either way - a DAP or another
Completely agree but not unusual when it comes to android based systems (if your dap is android based).

May 11, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #178 of 1,155
May 11, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #179 of 1,155
Thanks. As long as there is no immediately noticeable problems with it, looks good to me.

Now waiting for a US online store to have stock.
Looks like Best Buy has both colors. So does B&W (white only).

May 12, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #180 of 1,155
You were able to get AptxHD using the case?

@Pitter I was wondering the same thing.
Hi, I'm not sure anymore. I should have taken an screenshot, I was gonna answer you and wanted to take a couple of screenshots of the app showing the codec in use but didn't appear Aptx-HD anymore using USB-C.

I will edit it in the previous post so it won't be misleading... And I'll try to test it again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-080325.png
    Screenshot_20210512-080325.png
    366.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210512-080256.png
    Screenshot_20210512-080256.png
    357.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back