Bowers & Wilkins PI7
May 11, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #151 of 1,155
Thanks.

My player "only" got HD, but it still won't play in HD. My s10+ is regular aptX I guess.

Have you tried the case with USB-C from your phone? Would it then be HD? Adaptive?

Well, some notes:
  • Case with Jack-to-usb-c: APTX - Low Latency
  • EDIT: retested Case USB-C to USB-C: it seems it is only APTX, i will retest this because in previous attempts I thought it could use different codecs. Linux detects it as Digital SPDIF output.
  • Bluetooth: Smartphone - APTX Adaptative (Android 11 device). Windows 10 APTX. DAC (old Android 6.0) APTX-HD. Linux: I've change between codecs (I can use APTX-HD, APTX, SBC and AAC), so I will try to explore a bit further the differences :).
I hope that help.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #153 of 1,155
So the PI7 came in today, and I took them for a walk with my Airpod Pro to do some ANC/SQ comparisons for you guys. Went to a busy A road, grabbed some coffee, and put together some initial impressions.

DF495F33-399D-46B6-845B-A4A932B60FA0.jpeg

The PI7 sound good, they have better SQ than the Airpod Pros or MW07+, more finesse, detail. However there are some subtleties and it’s not an outright slam dunk (imo).

ANC

I tested ANC heavily by the street, swapping between APP and PI7. No doubt about it, the PI7 attenuates more noise. The busy road felt more distant on the PI7, how much of that is down to better passive isolation I’m not sure, but they passively isolate well. With ANC turned on the sound recedes further into the background for sure. Overall, they beat the APP by a decent margin Here.

SQ

Daft Punk - Get Lucky

The track has more energy on the APP. However the PI7 is so much more masterful in instrument placement, while on the APP it’s haphazard, you feel like vocals come from one side, guitar the next, on the PI7 it’s coherent and much more like listening to speakers.

However, the mids on the PI7 sometimes move too far backwards. In the outro 5min onwards Nile Rodger’s funk guitar feels like a supporting instrument to the bass thump, which dominates. Not how it was intended imo, the APP meanwhile gives the guitar prominence as it should.

Vocals the PI7 handles far better, they have more character, while feeling flatter on the APP. Overall I preferred the APP more energetic presentation that brought the guitar forward though.

Lana Del Rey - Born to Die

PI7 handles vocals miiiles ahead of APP. No contest here, the track sounds fantastic on the PI7, dark, moody, everything it should be. The APP colours it with an Energetic sound (as it does with every song) Which takes away from the recording. The PI7 does no such thing, it’s colouring takes a back seat to the music. It’s a dramatic win for PI7.

Grimes - My Name is Dark

When the song reaches Crescendos the APP falter and it sounds like a mess, PI7 maintains control and delivers a more cohesive, building effect. The bass is so much more nuanced and controlled on the PI7 in this song.

The PI7 makes the same misake though, there are sections where Grimes’ vocals recede a bit too much, while on the APP they come forward. At other moments though the vocals sound completely full on the PI7, and when they do, it’s much better resolved than the APP and less coloured. I preferred this song on the PI7 by some margin.

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand

Interesting one, for whatever reason this recording felt a bit small and distant on the PI7, i’m putting it down to the inferior volume. For whatever reason my iphone makes some tracks slightly quieter on the PI7 than others. It just lacked punch, while the APP lent it the energy it deserves. It’s an exhilarating song and by far the most difficult to reproduce well here, and I think the APP did a better job Giving Page’s guitar the tone and impact it should have.

Rapheal Treza (Intrumentals)

Superior separation, tone and clarity on the PI7. Dramatically better than APP.

Overall

If I was in a store and the PI7 was £350, MW07+ £250, the APP £250, I’d buy the PI7. The better ANC, case feature, and better SQ are a winner. The SQ is more laid back and darker, while the APP is in your face, energetic and punchy. It’s a very, very different presentation, you might like one over the other.

Meanwhile the resolution and instrument placement is notably better on the PI7, vocal definition is miiiles ahead, as the APP unduly colours vocals robbing them of their original character, while the PI7 expresses them effortlessly. The bass is far more defined and controlled on the PI7.

Meanwhile the impact and energy of the APP is superior. From an iPhone, the APP are louder.

I’m having some issues with volume on my pI7 (on my iPhone they’re quieter, on my iPad they’re as loud as my APP). No idea why but it’s an issue. That said, they’re the best tws buds i’ve tried by some margin.

(MW07+, APP, Momentum 2)

I want to try the PI5 now. I have a feeling they also sound better than the others, for less money, which could make them an absolutely superb option.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #155 of 1,155
On the volume I had the same issue, in iOS 14.6 volume limits are by default switched on, under sounds and haptics reduce loud sounds, could be worth checking…
No luck. From my iPad i get a louder, more spacious sound, And that setting isn’t on. Hmm.

I’m considering getting an xperia phone if i keep these anyway, to make use of aptx.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #156 of 1,155
Someone else reported an issue when you take out one earphone at a time, it seemed to limit the volume, I had the same issue so I now take both out together and get them in my ears before closing the lid... :) odd

May 11, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #158 of 1,155
I usually have no problems with the volume with headsets as I rarely listen to music at full blast, but with these I find myself running the volume at max for some albums. Source seems to matter quite a lot though. My phone plays music quite a lot higher than my DAP.

May 11, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #159 of 1,155
The volume issue is present for me also, however I do notice that when I play them from the case I seem to get more volume. Anybody else noticed this?

May 11, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #160 of 1,155
Fleetwood Rumours 2004 remaster: Blusound node 2i direct bluetooth connection aptx. STUNNING....... should be aptx HD as both devices support it... but based on the current sound who needs it!! And on the node 2i very good volume...almost speechless!!!

May 11, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #162 of 1,155
Can anyone else test with a blu sound node 2i, to see if you get aptx hd...?
Just got a FedEx shipping notification so hoping that is the PI7 that I ordered over two weeks ago. If so, will let you know once they arrive Friday. That was one of my intended use cases for these.

May 11, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #164 of 1,155
That’s awful, with degradation they’ll be useless in what, a year? B&W have a 2 year warranty, not sure if it covers battery Degradation.

I would say clearly something is completely off with my buds. Obviously it can't be that a product only a couple of days old will run out of battery on the right bud while the left still got 50% left. Just adding to the list of the issues I got.

May 11, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #165 of 1,155
Hello from Mauritius.

I am strongly thinking about pulling the trigger and importing the Pi7 from the US or the UK. However, since they look like they are bigger than average, I was wondering about the fit. Of course each one's ears will be different, but for those who have already received their units, how do you find the fit and stability?

My current tws are the Beoplay E8 3rd Gen and these feel very secure in my ears.

Thank you for your inputs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back