Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #1,351 of 1,955
i

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Wireless-Headphones/Wireless-Headphones/P7-Wireless.html

https://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-P7-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B01KLS5SIE/

Wireless headphones are getting better and better and here's the proof. So far, I think the P7 Wireless will be the closest a wireless headphone has come to being truly 'audiophile friendly', since it is directly based on the P7, which is a great sounding headphone, and it comes with a standard 3.5mm cable that you can use in a pinch if its battery dies. And with the upcoming iPhone 7 ditching it's headphone jack, I thought now would be a good time to start this thread for the P7 Wireless.

They will be available on September 14 for $400.

Please tell us what you think of them.
I think they look horribly ugly. Just my 2 cents.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #1,352 of 1,955
Gotta say I'm mightily impressed with these. Connected via AptX to my Sony DAPs I seriously have to wonder if I want to cart my Hugo around with all the wires.
Outstanding effort from B&W IMO!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Hi, Can you share some details about "Connected via AptX to my Sony DAPs"... need to go digital, your guidance could help...thanks! You can message me separately if you feel this thread is not the right place for this discussion.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #1,354 of 1,955
Slightly off topic, but since we are talking about ANC and flying : do airlines prohibit BT products use during flights or only during take off and landing, or just depends on the airline?

wireless use in airplanes regardless whether it is bluetooth, IR, phone frequencies, laptop are prohibited only just before take-off and just before landing. I noticed this on every trip that we made regardless of airline.

regardless of P7 noise cancellation or isolation, the P7/W gives an above average or good performance. I'm already having trouble hearing my family while wearing them. also, I find them sufficient and feel that a complete and total noise blockade and isolation is unnecessary even at home. the only reason to consider a total noise isolation headphone is you are working in heavy construction or ballast and welding factories which I doubt that you guys would be doing.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,357 of 1,955
Anyone here have a Fulla 2 as well as a Magni2/Modi2 stack? Do they sound any different, considering the P7 is pretty easy to drive?

I'm considering the two options, but not sure if the extra cost would be worth it.

(Apart from the P7w, I also have a SHP9500, if that means anything.)

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,358 of 1,955
P7 owner here and I think they're just outstanding, love everything about them. One thing I've noticed though is when I'm listening to Spotify, Play Music, etc on my Pixel XL is that when I have it around a certain volume level it seems to skip one of the volume levels. So it'll go from fairly quiet to noticeably louder, like it's a much bigger step than usual going up or down once in volume. Have other Android users noticed this? I don't imagine there is any "fix" for it.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #1,359 of 1,955
P7 owner here and I think they're just outstanding, love everything about them. One thing I've noticed though is when I'm listening to Spotify, Play Music, etc on my Pixel XL is that when I have it around a certain volume level it seems to skip one of the volume levels. So it'll go from fairly quiet to noticeably louder, like it's a much bigger step than usual going up or down once in volume. Have other Android users noticed this? I don't imagine there is any "fix" for it.

it's an O/S thing and could be the recording as well. but more likely O/S,

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,360 of 1,955
Used to listen to hd700, dt770 and fidue iems. Looking for a wireless item.
Tested Bluetooth phones recently. Metallica S&M concert flac + DNB + hip hop + soul + moderate guitar focused song.

Beoplays - thrash, muffled
momentums - aggressive, unpleasant, harsh (used to be my favorite brand), great design
P5 - ok, dull, small sound (like from old radio)
Y50 - actually best out of middle class, okish
Mid - ok, dull, small sound, great design
4.50 - thrash, muffled
Jays - ok, dull, thin, great touch control
P7 - high class sound, detailed sound for the first time, feels like being at the concert instead of listening to old radio, very very loud (can't even listen max volume, but shortly checked if it doesn't distort), massive bass (not really looking for it but all other cans were lifeless in DNB), great voices, comfy above average
Skipped Sony and Bose because they look very ugly and plastic, and are noise canceling, assuming sound canceling too.
Cross checked with some $2000 LCDs and Shure iems just to be sure if missing something and again double checked P7. Switching from P7 to other wireless phones was a insult to my hearing each time.
Pretty good. Easily the only wireless phones with hifi sound. Good job.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #1,361 of 1,955
Tested Bluetooth phones recently. Metallica S&M concert flac + DNB + hip hop + soul + moderate guitar focused song.

momentums - aggressive, unpleasant, harsh (used to be my favorite brand), great design
4.50 - thrash, muffled
P7 - high class sound, detailed sound for the first time, feels like being at the concert instead of listening to old radio, very very loud (can't even listen max volume, but shortly checked if it doesn't distort), massive bass (not really looking for it but all other cans were lifeless in DNB), great voices, comfy above average
Skipped Sony and Bose because they look very ugly and plastic, and are noise canceling, assuming sound canceling too.
Cross checked with some $2000 LCDs and Shure iems just to be sure if missing something and again double checked P7. Switching from P7 to other wireless phones was a insult to my hearing each time.
The P7 wireless are definitely one of the top 3 Bluetooth headphones on the market. Have you tried the ATH-DSR9BT's? They are also great Bluetooth headphones.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #1,362 of 1,955

4.50 - thrash, muffled

If the Sony you skipped was the MDR-1000X then it's well worth a listen. It's a different presentation to the P7W for sure, being more towards neutral, but it's a fast, tight punchy, very rythmic headphone with plenty of detail. I own both the P7W and the MDR-1000X, and I couldn't really say that one was better than the other overall. They just have different strengths.

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #1,363 of 1,955
If the Sony you skipped was the MDR-1000X then it's well worth a listen. It's a different presentation to the P7W for sure, being more towards neutral, but it's a fast, tight punchy, very rythmic headphone with plenty of detail. I own both the P7W and the MDR-1000X, and I couldn't really say that one was better than the other overall. They just have different strengths.

I didn't think the Sony was on the same level as the B&W P7 Wireless. It was more comparable to the Bose in terms of sound quality. And I'm not sure if it beats the Bose which has a similar frequency target but the Sony has really buggy controls (how expensive is this headphone again?) and the Bose is more comfortable.

If you really need a neutral wireless headphone, I think it would be best to wait for a Sony V2 (make the controls less buggy hopefully ) or the Bose V2 (add proper Bluetooth support hopefully).

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,364 of 1,955
I also think that the sound quality of P7 Wireless is noticeably better than the 1000x from my time owning both of them. I returned the 1000x about 2 weeks after receiving them and bought the QC35 for travelling use instead, mainly because the 1000x I received had a creaky left headband barely after a week of use which doesn't inspire confidence in its build quality. I felt sound quality of the 2 is pretty comparable - nothing spectacular but I can easily live with either, though both are a clear step down compared to the P7 Wireless, but the Bose is so much more comfortable which is probably the most important to me for a travelling headphone.

Ultimately I think it just depends on what you are looking for, if sound quality is the priority then take the P7 Wireless; if you are looking for a wireless headphone for travel, I'd recommend the QC35 instead, the ANC really do dramatically cut down airplane/train/general noise which makes music/movies so much more enjoyable during your journey.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,365 of 1,955
I returned my 1000X the day after I got them. At louder volumes (equal to about 50% of P7) there was noticeable distortion. And even when listening to something at much lower levels there was a clear lack of any dynamic response - the amp just couldn't keep up.
Also, the upmixing was just awful for about 50% of tracks (and quite good for the other half).

The only good (in fact GREAT) thing about them is the ANC. That was absolutely stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back