Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,202 of 1,955
Cool. So as I said earlier I'll stick with the 1000x and have neutrality with the convenience of wireless listening

Sure. I haven't heard the 1000x myself yet so I can't comment on it. But if it's more pleasing to your ears, then you should use that headphone.

I'm not super demanding on a $399 wireless headphone so the V-shaped signature is acceptable to me. I'll get an other wireless headphone later when the market has evolved (I'm waiting what Focal will bring in the high-end segment personally)

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,203 of 1,955
Sure. I haven't heard the 1000x myself yet so I can't comment on it. But if it's more pleasing to your ears, then you should use that headphone.

I'm not super demanding on a $399 wireless headphone so the V-shaped signature is acceptable to me. I'll get an other wireless headphone later when the market has evolved (I'm waiting what Focal will bring in the high-end segment personally)
I won't derail the thread any further, but I'll end by recommending you the Audio Technica dsr9bt.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,204 of 1,955
Cool. So as I said earlier I'll stick with the 1000x and have neutrality with the convenience of wireless listening

I owned the P7 wireless and currently have the 1000X. I get what you mean, but for me the 1000X is bass shy and definitely benefits from a gentle bass boost.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #1,205 of 1,955
I've listened to every wireless headphone around I'm sure and for sound when wireless  which is why you would buy a wireless headphone I hope the P7W are the best by a lot IMHO. Wired directly from an iPhone the P9's are my fav. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,206 of 1,955
I liked the B&W P7 Wireless more over the regular B&W P7 so it's not bad. But the iPhone probably didn't do the regular B&W P7 justice.

I was thinking about the B&W P9 also, but I had concerns about isolation and sound leaking. For less than half the money I have bluetooth option and better isolation with the B&W P7 wireless.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,207 of 1,955
I liked the B&W P7 Wireless more over the regular B&W P7 so it's not bad. But the iPhone probably didn't do the regular B&W P7 justice.

I was thinking about the B&W P9 also, but I had concerns about isolation and sound leaking. For less than half the money I have bluetooth option and better isolation with the B&W P7 wireless.

Yes, I have the P9 here with me now thanks to a friend, and having owned the P7 wireless recently I would concur the P7W is the way to go if you value portability, isolation and Bluetooth convenience over pure sound quality. The P9 is the better sounding, but not really by that wide a margin so the P7 certainly to me can hang with it. There will always with any design be sweet spots and weaknesses so it is conceivable that for somebody one design may really be better than the other, but looking at them over a wide range of genres I suspect the two designs are far more similar sounding than different.

Really like the P9 with the Mojo which I find surprising as I thought it might be a little warmish, but so far really not the case.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,208 of 1,955
   I would concur the P7W is the way to go if you value portability, isolation and Bluetooth convenience over pure sound quality.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread however how would you compare isolation capabilities of the P7W to the Z1R?

My P7W went back a month ago so memory is vague - the Z1R's just came back for another round of demos

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #1,210 of 1,955
Anyway, every hp has it's fans and hype. The P7 is no different. I'll just sell mine and let this hype train go on it's merry way :wink:

The p7w are certainly no hype, for wireless headphones they're pretty incredible, and even wired they hold their own.

If you read the comments in the 'Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones' you'll find the p7w are considered one of the very best wireless cans around at the moment and this is after being compared directly to many other high end headphones by many users! Maybe they don't compare to some of the best high end open back wired cans but to the vast majority they sound pretty great and more importantly very enjoyable!

Personally I feel that as a 'mastering engineer' your giving other 'mastering engineers' a bad name by entering a thread for the p7w and proceeding to leave your negative comments and un-constructive criticism where previously there'd been good natured and friendly discussions designed to help people make informed decisions on what headphones are right for them.

There, I said my piece.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,211 of 1,955
Anyway, every hp has it's fans and hype. The P7 is no different. I'll just sell mine and let this hype train go on it's merry way
wink.gif

I respectfully have to disagree, the P7W isn't hyped, it is widely considered good. You don't share that view which is fine, but I can't at all feel this thread is a hype thread. I'm not saying B&W is the be all and end all, but there is little doubt that they do have plenty of talent in house and as such they are perfectly capable of creating an excellent, and engaging sounding headphone,  and I personally think that despite imperfections, the P7W is indeed worthy of praise. I'm sorry you see it as hype.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #1,213 of 1,955
I won't derail the thread any further, but I'll end by recommending you the Audio Technica dsr9bt.

I totally agree with you, that the P7W's are 'V' shaped. Absolutely. Compared to DT770's, DT1770's, T1's, HD800's etc etc, there is no doubt whatsoever that they are 'V' in their sound signature.
Does this make the P7W's accurate? NO! But does it make them 'fun'? Hell, yes!!
After living with other BT headphones for a week or so (MDR-1000X), I really miss the P7W's 'fun' factor'. They just have an intimacy, and drive, that make listening addictive.
Other BT headphones have their plus points (the ANC with the Sony's is absloutely astounding), but IMO the P7W's just sound absloutely awesome, and get my feet tapping everytime :)

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,215 of 1,955

I know P9 is semi-open, but i think it isolate as good as P7.

I find people near me can hear the music quite a bit clearer with the P9's but as a wearer I only hear outside noises a bit more. They are dif. semi open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back