Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #916 of 1,955
  Quick initial impressions between the P7w and the M2w; very close race.  I honestly don't here much/any hiss with the P7 that some have talked of. 

I have a 100% way of producing the hiss, at least on MacOS.

Play something in iTunes with zero volume - that keeps the channel open, hiss "on" but no audio. 

It's possible some headphones really don't hiss at all, though I'd be very surprised if that was the case...

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #917 of 1,955
I have heard it now if there is dead sound at the beginning or end of a song.  I have not found it at all distracting.

I did forget to mention another pretty big difference between the M2 and the P7 is the volume.  The P7 gets much louder.  I have always felt that the M2 does not get particularly loud.  The P7 sound has also grown on me or improved.  Thinking the M2 is going on the chopping block.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #918 of 1,955
  For those who like to test the P7W with a cable I'm sure it scales nicely as it has well designed drivers. I would love to hear it with an iFi iDSD Micro Black for one. The Mojo I'm sure is also excellent, but I wonder if it might make the P7 a little warm sounding given the already pushed forward mid-bass?

I don't know about the iDSD (looks great), but as a reference I don't find the mojo warmer than the dac built into the headphones.  It cleans things up considerably, so a little tough to compare.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #919 of 1,955
I'm trying p7w for some days now, I confirm, wired and wireless sound better, and best of old wired p7. Wireless volume should not be more than half of the volume control of the iPhone / iPad. more than 50% tend to distort very low, to the point that rarely go in the other half of the volume (75% vol almost never). in terms of comfort I regret the qc35 light and fluffy. in the wireless qc35 they are less detailed and sharp, but generally I think now with a little 'of regret. qc35 are the most relaxing of these p7w ... maybe I will ever a defective model, or my old pm-3 have spoiled me with tight bass and composed .... I'm thinking whether to return p7w and return on qc35 that are less perfect, but best for everyday use .... to you the bass are so loose? try to feel about Apple Music demons to imagine or rag'n of human bone. the low p7 echoing madly to 50% of the volume .... sigh!

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #920 of 1,955

I don't know about the iDSD (looks great), but as a reference I don't find the mojo warmer than the dac built into the headphones.  It cleans things up considerably, so a little tough to compare.

That is good to know, and I'm not surprised about the Mojo upping the performance noticeably as it is quite the nice piece of gear. Cheers.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #921 of 1,955
Comfort wise..this headset is a bit stiff the first few weeks of use and may clamp around the head a bit (too much?), in my opinion.But after some use they become much better and fits the head more comfortably. 

It will never be as comfortably as a Bose headset though, few ever will :p I switched from a QC25 that I have used for about 2 years, and the jump in sound quality is fantastic! I tried the QC25 here the other day..just to compare with a few tracks I've listened to alot the last few weeks, and was blown away of how boring and dull the Bose sounded compared to the P7w. But then again, its funny how fast the ears and mind adjusts to the ongoing soundstage. So the Bose are still a great travelling set in my opinion and I dont think I will put them up for sale just yet, they are nice to use with the Playstation VR headset too :p

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #922 of 1,955
Comfort wise..this headset is a bit stiff the first few weeks of use and may clamp around the head a bit (too much?), in my opinion.But after some use they become much better and fits the head more comfortably. 

It will never be as comfortably as a Bose headset though, few ever will :p I switched from a QC25 that I have used for about 2 years, and the jump in sound quality is fantastic! I tried the QC25 here the other day..just to compare with a few tracks I've listened to alot the last few weeks, and was blown away of how boring and dull the Bose sounded compared to the P7w. But then again, its funny how fast the ears and mind adjusts to the ongoing soundstage. So the Bose are still a great travelling set in my opinion and I dont think I will put them up for sale just yet, they are nice to use with the Playstation VR headset too :p

I want to accept that it is more uncomfortable than qc35, but are too boomy bass with pop songs (not quite all). what do you think about it? Perhaps I caught a couple of p7w defective?

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #923 of 1,955
I want to accept that it is more uncomfortable than qc35, but are too boomy bass with pop songs (not quite all). what do you think about it? Perhaps I caught a couple of p7w defective?
Boomy is an opinion and I guess all live concerts are also boomy. Home speakers are boomy but some HP they remove the natural boomy.

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #924 of 1,955
Boomy is an opinion and I guess all live concerts are also boomy. Home speakers are boomy but some HP they remove the natural boomy.

I'll explain: rolling, but decomposed, unpleasant, with a significant distortion in volume a bit 'higher. Have you noticed this effect? ps try the song "demons" or "love the way you lie" tell me what you think

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #925 of 1,955
I'll explain: rolling, but decomposed, unpleasant, with a significant distortion in volume a bit 'higher. Have you noticed this effect? ps try the song "demons" or "love the way you lie" tell me what you think
Im using the P7 with various amps: Centrance, Hugo, Mojo, Arrow, VorzAMP duo II and I use bass boost and its very clean

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #926 of 1,955

I will try these later today. 

For my music I think the P7w signature suits my ears. I listen to alot of  60-70's rock and alot within the metal genre. Movie/game soundtracks is a joy to! With that said, I did "break'em in" for 3-4 days with my iPad constantly feeding them with music almost non-stop. I had some busy days when i first got them, so I thought "why not?" 

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #927 of 1,955
Hi,

Iv'e had my P7's for a month and a half, they are the best sounding headphones i've owned and the sound is a joy to experience, I have been using them everyday for around 6-8 hours however I think they have developed a couple of faults.

1) Bluetooth intermittently boots me off the source connection. I use them on my iphone and macbook pro and switch between those two sources, this has only been happening the last couple of days so trying to work out what's going on.

2) I sometimes use them wired when producing music as the b/t latency gives me a half second lag plus better quality audio. When I unplug the cable and try to turn the headphones on again they are dead eventually they turn on again, plugging them into a power supply seems to get them going again.

Have treated them well not dropped etc.

Anyhoo I'm going to speak to my seller and see what they have to say, or even visit them as they are 10 miles away from me, in Worthing UK.

Last thing i want now is a separation from these babies.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #928 of 1,955
Hi,

Iv'e had my P7's for a month and a half, they are the best sounding headphones i've owned and the sound is a joy to experience, I have been using them everyday for around 6-8 hours however I think they have developed a couple of faults.

1) Bluetooth intermittently boots me off the source connection. I use them on my iphone and macbook pro and switch between those two sources, this has only been happening the last couple of days so trying to work out what's going on.

2) I sometimes use them wired when producing music as the b/t latency gives me a half second lag plus better quality audio. When I unplug the cable and try to turn the headphones on again they are dead eventually they turn on again, plugging them into a power supply seems to get them going again.

Have treated them well not dropped etc.

Anyhoo I'm going to speak to my seller and see what they have to say, or even visit them as they are 10 miles away from me, in Worthing UK.

Last thing i want now is a separation from these babies.

Any excuse to get the P9s huh? :wink:

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #929 of 1,955
I will try these later today. 

For my music I think the P7w signature suits my ears. I listen to alot of  60-70's rock and alot within the metal genre. Movie/game soundtracks is a joy to! With that said, I did "break'em in" for 3-4 days with my iPad constantly feeding them with music almost non-stop. I had some busy days when i first got them, so I thought "why not?" 

hello, you listened those songs? what effect you have experienced with the bass?

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #930 of 1,955

1) Happens to me with iOS, and it occurs with P7W, Momentums and my Plantronics headset. In short, it's some bug in newer iOS versions (I am now on 10.3 beta and it seems to work OK, but the last version before that had problems). Wait a bit for Apple to sort it out, I guess they were busy fixing stuff for Airpods and broke something else in the process.

2) I also get high latency _sometimes_. Turning them off/on fixes things. Mostly happens if the sound gets interrupted (phone call, or I pause the audio for long period of time, or I get out of range intermittently). P7 reconnect very fast so that's something I can live with.
If you want lower latency, switch to aptX - it should sound pretty much the same but works better than AAC on MacOS (but I'd swear I can get better quality from AAC as expected, even though I don't think I should be able to hear a difference...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back