Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #181 of 1,955
Own a p7 for more than 2 years and now the ear pad is seeping some oily and slimy substance... this stuff is hard to clean and is all over the contact point between ear pad and headphone

And i hope that it was the earpad not the headphone that are releasing it. Well replacement earpads is OTW

The seepage is from the glue that holds the felt down. See if you can get a replacement under warranty.

I have done a half price changeover to p7 wireless with the local importer because my pair were 5 months or outside of the warranty period, this fault can not be fixed easily. Let's all hope this glue isn't used in the P7 wireless.

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #183 of 1,955
  I have to agree i've had the p7 wireless since the first month they came out and have now had the p7 wireless for about a month. If you were comparing the wireless p7 (new) to the wired p7 (original) and were NOT using aptx then yes there is considerable difference in sound quality between the two. the wired p7 (original) sound a lot better! However. When you are comparing wired P7 (New and original) the new one has a stronger presence, better sound stage and crisper low/mids as well as better controlled highs. The ONLY downside to the wireless ones is they are a little heavier and actually have some plastic on them (the buttons etc, which my guess would be to keep weight down).

I actually used the cowon j3 and E18 with my original p7's to get clean audio, i just picked up the Sony A17 from bestbuy cause it was $230 and i had $200 in rewards but that was ONLY so i had a nice aptx enabled DAC to pair it with. I also picked up the Avantree Saturn Pro aptx adapters and am in the process of deciding if i wanna use the adapter with my current setup or keep the sony A17. The P7 wireless however are here to stay and being wireless so just unbelievably convenient when working and moving around and well worth the minimal dicrease in sound quality. 

How's the pairing with the Sony?  I currently have the A17 along with the MDR-1abt's...but may go for the P7 as I find the Sony's bass to be too boomy and can't fix it with the limited eq on the Sony.  The Sony player itself I like.  Bluetooth (using LDAC) has worked flawlessly.  It's too bad, because the battery life on the MDR-1abt's is excellent...and they are comfortable as well.  Are you happy with the sound level from the Sony to the P7?  

Bern

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #184 of 1,955
How is the isolation on the p7? :)

Isolation is great, for still being aware of your surrounding, with no music playing, it slightly mutes everything.

With music playing at low volume, things start to become very had to hear, at mid volumes you can't hear anything but music. So the p7 wireless seem to be part open and part closed back.

Just perfect for commuting around town. Where you can mute the music to hear people and be aware of traffic, without taking the headphones off your head. But with very slight leakage from outside the headphone at high volumes. And nothing at mid volume.

Also hooked up to the zx2 is really a great wireless experience, it's like these units are made for each other.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #185 of 1,955
  How's the pairing with the Sony?  I currently have the A17 along with the MDR-1abt's...but may go for the P7 as I find the Sony's bass to be too boomy and can't fix it with the limited eq on the Sony.  The Sony player itself I like.  Bluetooth (using LDAC) has worked flawlessly.  It's too bad, because the battery life on the MDR-1abt's is excellent...and they are comfortable as well.  Are you happy with the sound level from the Sony to the P7?  

Bern

Hey,

So far i've liked it quite a bit. They both support aptx and in all honestly on 16bit 48kHz music i haven't been able to tell a difference in either wireless or wired. I can tell you coming from the original P7 that the bass is a little heavier on the wireless in comparison but its also tighter so not an annoyance. However i did find that when going wireless the bass is a little over emphasized at times compared to when wired it could also be because there is a loss of a little detail in the sound so the bass 'seems' emphasized, only in the 24bit192 files. However wired its simply an unbelievable combination. As for the volume it would definitely be nice to have had a few more notches on the volume because i constantly find myself on 20-25/30 especially when i'm listening to classical or violin or a little more subtle songs on the wired connection. Rock seems to be fine but the combination of 24bit192 and classical can get a little low. In wireless i've had no issues with volume cause i think the headphones compensate themselves a little as well. Its by no means a powerful amp in the a17. My E18 was having issues so i couldn't do a direct comparison between the cowon+E18 and the a17. Hopefully once it comes back i can figure out if the a17 is here to stay or going back. For comparison, my iPod classic at 75% = a17 max = cowon J3 at 50-60% = E-18 at 50-60% volume. If only Best Buy actually kept the X100 in stock in store i'd get that instead of the a17...

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #186 of 1,955
   In wireless i've had no issues with volume cause i think the headphones compensate themselves a little as well. Its by no means a powerful amp in the a17. 

Thanks for the reply...exactly what I was looking for.  I would be using them exclusively in the wireless mode.  I also come from an ipod classic....and have had the Sony for about a year now.  If you end up keeping it....this case worked out well.  (at least for me)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VAKX4Y8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bern

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #187 of 1,955
  I have to agree i've had the p7 wireless since the first month they came out and have now had the p7 wireless for about a month. ...  When you are comparing wired P7 (New and original) the new one has a stronger presence, better sound stage and crisper low/mids as well as better controlled highs...

I didn't realize there were two "generations" of the P7 Wireless. When was the 2nd Gen released and what changes were "officially" made to them?

beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #188 of 1,955
I didn't realize there were two "generations" of the P7 Wireless. When was the 2nd Gen released and what changes were "officially" made to them?

:beerchug:  

I believe there has only been one gen of P7 wireless. The original P7 was wired only.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #189 of 1,955
I'll just add that the P7 wireless, when wired and amped, punch you in the head.

But also wireless.

So if you don't like head punches then you shouldn't buy them. Although, to be fair, I'm listening to She's Crafty by the Beastie Boys so kinda my bad.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #190 of 1,955
I'll just add that the P7 wireless, when wired and amped, punch you in the head.

But also wireless.

So if you don't like head punches then you shouldn't buy them. Although, to be fair, I'm listening to She's Crafty by the Beastie Boys so kinda my bad.

You mean it has awesome bass?

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #191 of 1,955
I have a pair of MDR-1ABT's and used them with both my A17 & ZX100. That's until I got the P7W's.
I have a pair of P7 wired, and use them with my Hugo a lot. I love the B&W 'house sound'. So I decided to try the wireless version. Wow!
All I can say is that the P7W's sound MUCH better than the MDR-1ABT's, and go much louder.
The Sony DAPs connect to the B&W's using Apt-x, and they use LDAC when connecting to the MDR-1ABT's. But the B&W's STILL sound better than the Sony's by a country mile.
Makes me think that LDAC is nothing more than a marketing spin on Apt-x by Sony.
If Apt-x is good enough for Chord, then it's good enough for me!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #192 of 1,955
Interesting to hear your comparison to ldac, I have been really enjoying these p7, they really are mind blowing using wireless, with the zx2 as the wireless DAP, super clear Bluetooth the through CSR.

(I use power amp alpha which you can tweak the sound with great EQ, and turn openGL on in the audio Settings in power amp, sounds fantastic)

And that soft leather is so comfy, I can use these for hours at a time with nil discomfort. I don't think I can go back to a cable any more. The p7 wireless are like a work of art.

I can even live with them turning off after 5 minutes of idol, although I would prefer a user selectable power off timer. Or a bypass to keep them on.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #193 of 1,955
Interesting to hear your comparison to ldac, I have been really enjoying these p7, they really are mind blowing using wireless, with the zx2 as the wireless DAP, super clear Bluetooth the through CSR.

(I use power amp alpha which you can tweak the sound with great EQ, and turn openGL on in the audio Settings in power amp, sounds fantastic)

And that soft leather is so comfy, I can use these for hours at a time with nil discomfort. I don't think I can go back to a cable any more. The p7 wireless are like a work of art.

I can even live with them turning off after 5 minutes of idol, although I would prefer a user selectable power off timer. Or a bypass to keep them on.

Yeah, I think the P7 wireless has eventually 'cut the cord' completely for me. Yes, my Hugo and P7 wired do sound better, but on a busy commute, getting a bike on and off the train etc, the convenience of being wireless simply outweighs the inconvenience of having to deal with wires, albeit with better SQ.
Even though I have Sony DAPs, I find myself using my Xperia Z5 via Apt-X with the P7's in the vast majority of cases. It pairs in an instant, and sounds as good as my Sony DAPs via Apt-X BT.
The B&W P7W's are simply a game-changer for me, in the best possible way.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #194 of 1,955
Yeah, I think the P7 wireless has eventually 'cut the cord' completely for me. Yes, my Hugo and P7 wired do sound better, but on a busy commute, getting a bike on and off the train etc, the convenience of being wireless simply outweighs the inconvenience of having to deal with wires, albeit with better SQ.
Even though I have Sony DAPs, I find myself using my Xperia Z5 via Apt-X with the P7's in the vast majority of cases. It pairs in an instant, and sounds as good as my Sony DAPs via Apt-X BT.
The B&W P7W's are simply a game-changer for me, in the best possible way.

Couldn't agree more.

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #195 of 1,955
Couldn't agree more.

I think the interesting thing about these headphones is that they're a 'leveller'. And by that, I don't mean they're limiting, nor do they 'lower the bar'. Quite the converse actually.
For the very first time, I'm questioning as to why I need expensive DAPs and DACs to enjoy superb SQ on the move, and wireless to boot.
With an Apt-X source such as a mobile 'phone, and good-quality files (16/44.1 as a minimum) stored on a large MicroSD, I actually don't think I see the need for a separate DAP/DAC for use 'on the move'.
Let's hope these headphones get many more people interested in listening to good quality music on the move, in preference to 256kb MP3/AAC via cheap crappy buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back