Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #166 of 1,955
Just plugged them into the zx2 through the supplied cable, making sure they are working properly, these sound fantastic wired as well.

I think their fine in wireless as well, and that's how I will be using them most of the time.

It is always good to know your BT headphone plays well when wired. I loved how the H7 sounded through the iDSD Micro. I'm sure the P7 would be stunning as well, wish I had kept the Micro. Still, I'll plug the P7 into my speaker tap NAD M3 someday. Did the P7 come with a 1/4" adapter?

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #167 of 1,955
Oct 27, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #168 of 1,955
It is always good to know your BT headphone plays well when wired. I loved how the H7 sounded through the iDSD Micro. I'm sure the P7 would be stunning as well, wish I had kept the Micro. Still, I'll plug the P7 into my speaker tap NAD M3 someday. Did the P7 come with a 1/4" adapter?

The new P7 wireless doesn't come with the adapter or the mic enabled cord.
I kept both from the original p7 that I sent back, to complete this version.

Wired these scale upward which is great, but I just enjoy the wireless technology to much, and think it's where the future will be heading, cables are finished.
I think you would like the way there zx2 plays with these p7 wireless, steps up quite a few notches, with plenty of power spare as well.
Sometimes 15mw isn't always what it seems with Sony.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #169 of 1,955
No, I think you have to spring for the P9 to get that.
wink.gif

That is a pretty expensive adapter upgrade!

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #170 of 1,955
I am still experiencing the dropouts when connected to Mac Pro. It was playing fine last week for a day. It doesn't happen with my Note 4 at all. And, this time it's not going away. Really annoying...

Oct 28, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #172 of 1,955
I think it's fixed it. I upgraded the OS to Siera from Yosemite as I read issues with bluetooth on Yosemite. So far, no dropouts and hopefully it continues. Macbook Pro with El Capitant also worked without issues.

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #173 of 1,955
Consumer Reports just rated the P7 wireless: http://www.consumerreports.org/products/stereo-headphone/bowers-wilkins-p7-wireless-387643/overview/

Now I realize CR isn't the be all and end all of product reviews, but here's how they score both P7's:

P7 (original): 86
P7 Wireless: 76

This makes no sense to me. More than one of the many reviews out there has claimed that the P7 wireless sound quality is improved over the P7 (e.g. http://www.macworld.com/article/3118807/consumer-electronics/bowers-wilkins-p7-wireless-headphones-review-they-sound-better-than-the-original.html)

I just received my P7 Wireless from B&W so have 60 days to try them out. I'll be back with impressions later but wanted to know if there's anyone out there who's heard both P7 models and would be willing to weigh in?

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #174 of 1,955
Consumer Reports just rated the P7 wireless: http://www.consumerreports.org/products/stereo-headphone/bowers-wilkins-p7-wireless-387643/overview/

Now I realize CR isn't the be all and end all of product reviews, but here's how they score both P7's:

P7 (original): 86
P7 Wireless: 76

This makes no sense to me. More than one of the many reviews out there has claimed that the P7 wireless sound quality is improved over the P7 (e.g. http://www.macworld.com/article/3118807/consumer-electronics/bowers-wilkins-p7-wireless-headphones-review-they-sound-better-than-the-original.html)

I just received my P7 Wireless from B&W so have 60 days to try them out. I'll be back with impressions later but wanted to know if there's anyone out there who's heard both P7 models and would be willing to weigh in?

I don't think I've read comments from anyone that rate the original wired over the wireless. I owned the original model when it was first released, and find the wireless considerably better. I sold the original, but can't imagine parting with the wireless I enjoy them that much.

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #175 of 1,955
I spent close to 2hrs auditioning the original wired P7 as the shop wasn't willing to open the box of their only wireless P7, they told me it sounded the same.
After 2hrs I left without buying, disappointed, they were good but my Bose QC35's sounded better to my ears, particularly in the bass/sub bass, where the QC35's really pump it out...
Three weeks later I bought the wireless P7's (on discount for a great price) without listening to them after reading reviews that said the sound quality was in a different league to the original wired version. They were right - out of the box the audio quality was just intoxicating...
So I would have to agree - these wireless P7's are really superb, a step up from the wired P7's, I cannot fault the audio quality - lots of bottom end, a clean (but not shrill & gritty like my QC35's) mid/top end and a sound stage to die for.
I'm totally in love with these things, my best audio/hifi purchase for years, in fact since I bought the P5's back in 2013...

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #176 of 1,955
I think that if you were to rate them wireless against wired, I think the wired source p7 will be on top with high definition music. (Considering all the extra processing needed for wireless, & losses in sound quality would be the trade-off)

And that's what they mean, possibly. But neck to neck with both models plugged and wired I do think the wireless p7 model are improved, their voiced differently, firstly, the drivers are now positioned closer to the ear, the sound absorbing felt is different and more dense, the memory foam is softer.

And to me they sound slightly different, (I also read the drivers have been improved) retuned. Even the leather seems softer around the ear cups. I owned the original p7 for 2.5 years, before going to the wireless version.
Can't put these down, they sound pretty good wired as well.

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #178 of 1,955
  Anyone compared the p7 wireless to audeze sine? Wondering how they are in terms of sound quality.I have the sines.And they sound great.But wireless would be a good thing to use outside. :)

Then just grab a P7 from Amazon and try it. Worst case scenario is you return it. The general consensus seems to be rather strong that the P7 wireless is a very solid sound signature and yes, going cable free is one of the most liberating experiences.

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #179 of 1,955
I have to agree i've had the p7 wireless since the first month they came out and have now had the p7 wireless for about a month. If you were comparing the wireless p7 (new) to the wired p7 (original) and were NOT using aptx then yes there is considerable difference in sound quality between the two. the wired p7 (original) sound a lot better! However. When you are comparing wired P7 (New and original) the new one has a stronger presence, better sound stage and crisper low/mids as well as better controlled highs. The ONLY downside to the wireless ones is they are a little heavier and actually have some plastic on them (the buttons etc, which my guess would be to keep weight down).

I actually used the cowon j3 and E18 with my original p7's to get clean audio, i just picked up the Sony A17 from bestbuy cause it was $230 and i had $200 in rewards but that was ONLY so i had a nice aptx enabled DAC to pair it with. I also picked up the Avantree Saturn Pro aptx adapters and am in the process of deciding if i wanna use the adapter with my current setup or keep the sony A17. The P7 wireless however are here to stay and being wireless so just unbelievably convenient when working and moving around and well worth the minimal dicrease in sound quality. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #180 of 1,955
Own a p7 for more than 2 years and now the ear pad is seeping some oily and slimy substance... this stuff is hard to clean and is all over the contact point between ear pad and headphone

And i hope that it was the earpad not the headphone that are releasing it. Well replacement earpads is OTW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back