Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #151 of 1,955
Does the ZX2 do Apt-x?
Both my ZX100 & NWZ-A15 do Apt-x, as does my Xperia Z5, and it definitely sounds better through my P7w's than AAC from my iPod 5G.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I think it has the protocol built into Android, I'm not sure. It works perfectly, no dropouts, and crystal clear, and the sound through Bluetooth seems more accurate than the LG v10 (more clarity and less of that bass hump), another interesting thing is there's only 1 volume control on the zx2 the main volume controls the Bluetooth on the player and volume up and down on the headphones are integrated.

The range of the Bluetooth on the zx2 is better as well, maybe because there zx2 is purely a music player, but I've had to use power amp alpha to use an EQ, s the stock player will not use sound enhancements or EQ.
I don't think the chipset is working as well as it should with apple products, and I'm not surprised either.
(Apple will have their own wireless thing happening for high quality audio, call it something else and claim it's new technology, lol)

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #152 of 1,955
Picked up a pair of these yesterday and extremely glad I did. So superior to the original wired P7s I owned, I'm quite taken aback by the difference. It's also my first pair of wireless full-size, I'm a creature of habit - can't believe I didn't cut the cord sooner, it's incredibly liberating being unencumbered,  particularly when the wireless sound quality on these is so exceptional.

It really is surprising. It has been beat into my head that Bluetooth audio = **** and I'd just accepted it as gospel.

With Bluetooth 4.x, AAC and AptX, I think there really isn't as much of an arguement to be made here. For portable use, Bluetooth is a fully acceptable solution as long as your cans support the latest Bluetooth specs.

As polarizing as the iPhone 7 and other phones removing the headphone jack is, I'm retrospectively happy it happened. I wouldn't have looked at the P7s otherwise.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #153 of 1,955
It really is surprising. It has been beat into my head that Bluetooth audio = **** and I'd just accepted it as gospel.

With Bluetooth 4.x, AAC and AptX, I think there really isn't as much of an arguement to be made here. For portable use, Bluetooth is a fully acceptable solution as long as your cans support the latest Bluetooth specs.

As polarizing as the iPhone 7 and other phones removing the headphone jack is, I'm retrospectively happy it happened. I wouldn't have looked at the P7s otherwise.

Absolutely, I have been telling people to test their assumptions and give Bluetooth a try. As you say, for true portable Bluetooth is absolutely 100% indistinguishable from wired performance. I cut the cord back when I had a PM3 through an Onkyo DP-X1 with a custom balanced cable. The cable kept getting in the way and caught on things so I finally had enough and I picked up a few BT headphones. I'm pretty settled on the P7, it really is a fantastic signature and hard to beat.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #154 of 1,955
Absolutely, I have been telling people to test their assumptions and give Bluetooth a try. As you say, for true portable Bluetooth is absolutely 100% indistinguishable from wired performance. I cut the cord back when I had a PM3 through an Onkyo DP-X1 with a custom balanced cable. The cable kept getting in the way and caught on things so I finally had enough and I picked up a few BT headphones. I'm pretty settled on the P7, it really is a fantastic signature and hard to beat.

The signature is almost unique, and gives me a content feeling, like these would be how my dream headphones. I can't believe how good it is to be wire free, it's been like having to carry a ball and chain with a cable.

It's hard to go back to the cable, I haven't even bothered testing the plug in cable yet I've been so content with the sound with the zx2 wireless,

it's better than the v10 Bluetooth, seems like its a perfect match, the improvements are such I can't go back to the v10 now.

And the future is looking exceptional

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-DSR9BT-Hi-Res-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphone-Black-/191997866232?nav=SEARCH

: Audio-Technica

Specs
High definition Bluetooth:
[Headphone section]
□ Type: Sealed dynamic type
□ Driver: φ45mm
□ output sound pressure level: 97dB / mW
□ communication method: compliant Bluetooth standard Ver.4.2
□ Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/139169-audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt-preview-a-digital-future-for-high-end-headphones
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/139169-audio-technica-ath-dsr9bt-preview-a-digital-future-for-high-end-headphones

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #155 of 1,955
I took my wireless P7's out for my commute today and am very happy to report that I continue to be head over heels in love with these babies!

The only downside was that I was distracted from reading my Kindle as I was so drawn to all of the amazing and beautiful sounds swimming around in my head.

One thing I had initially been worried about was the size of the these headphones, but now I realize that, given they sound like you have a high-end stereo strapped to your head, a slightly bigger headphone is not a surprise!

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #156 of 1,955

One thing I had initially been worried about was the size of the these headphones, but now I realize that, given they sound like you have a high-end stereo strapped to your head, a slightly bigger headphone is not a surprise!

For sure, there is always a compromise and larger cabinets are needed to house the workings and also allow the designers to tune the sound accordingly. Well worth it I feel, the P7 is an excellent sound signature and I have to admit, I would think it makes the P9 a complete wrong turn for B&W. That is a headphone with a serious identity crisis! It isn't committed to being a portable, but it isn't designed to be a full sized home headphone either. The P7 wireless is a smashing success for B&W and I hope they remain committed to moving the wireless business forward.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #157 of 1,955
Is anyone else finding that one Bluetooth source can sound better than another with these p7's, and if so which device is it?

The sound from the zx2 paired with these p7's in Bluetooth is divine, best I have heard these p7 sound so far from the 3 devices I have tried.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #158 of 1,955
I've found that the P7 wireless sounds better paired with my MacBook Pro via aptX than it does paired with my iPhone 7 via AAC, with both devices using Tidal (HiFi streaming) as a source. It's subtle but noticeable.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #159 of 1,955
Interesting, I'm starting to think some Bluetooth chip sets, are made to sound better, or are implemented differently to achieve better quality audio.

It's really obvious when going from other Bluetooth devices, then going back to the zx2, it's like taking the cotton wool out of the drivers.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #160 of 1,955
I've been enjoying mine for a few days now. Getting used to the somewhat darker signature than some of my other phones.

Bluetooth connection is rock solid - much more so than my QC35 and QC30, both of which can be prone to dropouts with my iPhone, and can break up badly if I leave the phone in another room.

And as efficient as the P7 are, they scale well. Hooked up the cable and plugged them into my Oppo HA-1 being fed lossless music and they sounded even better - cleaner and more well defined without the Bluetooth noise floor.

The darker tonality does some nice things for classical organ - P7 can put out some serious low bass!

:)

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #161 of 1,955
Good to hear they scale better as well through the cable.
It seems I jumped the gun a little by not checking all the settings and had the EQ dipped in the LG v10, it turns out it sounds pretty good with all the same settings. Which is great to keep everything light weight while using this as a daily driver.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #162 of 1,955
im considering a pair for travel

i understand that there is no noise cancellation but the audio of the QC35 left me really bummed out. THe momentum wireless were good but not comfortable.

Anyone use these on a plane have any comments?

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #163 of 1,955
Interesting, I'm starting to think some Bluetooth chip sets, are made to sound better, or are implemented differently to achieve better quality audio.

It's really obvious when going from other Bluetooth devices, then going back to the zx2, it's like taking the cotton wool out of the drivers.

What I'm hearing is almost surely due to the different lossy compression being used between AAC and aptX.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #164 of 1,955
So...interesting word of warning:

I was attempting to loosen up the headband pressure a bit and pulled the band out a bit. Not flat, not hard...and the right cup lost about 25% of its volume and dynamics. I heard a little pop when I did the headband pull... Bass not hitting, vocals completely drowned out, subtle details lost. My heart dropped when I put them on and my left ear suddenly felt like it got all the love. I wore them backwards to confirm it wasn't some weird mental thing. I blindly rotated them around a few times and popped them on and was able to hear the change every time.

Somehow my headband stretch move busted these. I just got my replacement (next day on Amazon) and all is right in the world again. Just be careful if you're messing around with stretching the headband to loosen the pressure!

So happy to have my babies back.

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #165 of 1,955
What I'm hearing is almost surely due to the different lossy compression being used between AAC and aptX.

I am hearing differences in sound from different music players, the best sound for me on Android is through power amp alpha, in open sl output mode, it gives the most realistic performance I have heard from Bluetooth.

So...interesting word of warning:

I was attempting to loosen up the headband pressure a bit and pulled the band out a bit. Not flat, not hard...and the right cup lost about 25% of its volume and dynamics. I heard a little pop when I did the headband pull... Bass not hitting, vocals completely drowned out, subtle details lost. My heart dropped when I put them on and my left ear suddenly felt like it got all the love. I wore them backwards to confirm it wasn't some weird mental thing. I blindly rotated them around a few times and popped them on and was able to hear the change every time.

Somehow my headband stretch move busted these. I just got my replacement (next day on Amazon) and all is right in the world again. Just be careful if you're messing around with stretching the headband to loosen the pressure!

So happy to have my babies back.

Few, that would be horrible feeling when you heard it snap, maybe the plastic housing the speaker sits in broke. now I'm a bit worried, the original p7's where very flexible and rugged, you could bend them into shape, no problems.
It would be good to know what broke inside?
And it's great these have a 2 year warranty, also shows B&W have confidence in their equipment.

Just plugged them into the zx2 through the supplied cable, making sure they are working properly, these sound fantastic wired as well.

I think their fine in wireless as well, and that's how I will be using them most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back