Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #136 of 1,955
Does anyone know how you can toggle between connected devices.

The following method as described in the manual does not allow me to toggle between Apple TV and iPhone:
"Note: It is possible to toggle the audio cues on and off by press and releasing ‘Play/Pause’ and ‘+’."

This method isn't exactly toggling, but I just press the BT button to disconnect and then tell the next device to connect.

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #137 of 1,955
I think ‘Play/Pause’ and ‘+’" are used to turn the headphone notification sounds on and off. I've found that, as long as the bluetooth is connected, the headphones will switch automatically and instantly to whichever source I'm actively playing from. So right now I have Spotify open on my iPhone and a Youtube video open on my MacBook with the P7s connected to both devices. As soon as I hit play on Youtube on the MacBook, the Spotify stream on the iPhone will pause and the Youtube video will play through the headphones without delay, and vice versa.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #138 of 1,955
I think ‘Play/Pause’ and ‘+’" are used to turn the headphone notification sounds on and off. I've found that, as long as the bluetooth is connected, the headphones will switch automatically and instantly to whichever source I'm actively playing from. So right now I have Spotify open on my iPhone and a Youtube video open on my MacBook with the P7s connected to both devices. As soon as I hit play on Youtube on the MacBook, the Spotify stream on the iPhone will pause and the Youtube video will play through the headphones without delay, and vice versa.

Thank you. Yes with only two devices it is fine, but when there are many devices to switch from it is difficult. I have three Bluetooth Audio Apple TV's and iPhone/iPad/iMac.

I want to keep my iPhone connected all the time so that I don't miss phone calls. However I have to keep disconnecting all devices as there is no way to manage it. So if I move from one room to another with a different Apple TV I need to disconnect all devices by pressing Bluetooth twice and then reconnect the iPhone and Apple TV.

Bose managed it well as they had a Connection App you could easily switch connections between and no need to change connections on the individual devices.

Oct 23, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #139 of 1,955
I have some cheap mpow BT earbuds that do a great job at isolation that I use for workouts and weight training - anyway, yesterday for the hell of it I decided to try the P7s and they worked great!

I was skeptical due to sweating and having them stay on, but since most of my movements have my head stabilized, there was really no problem.  The P7s have a good clamp which I adjusted to the tightest fit which pressed the headband to my head (too long with that fit would give me a headache but for a 45+min workout it was ok).  I have a home gym with a huge floor fan so that was able to prevent any problems with sweating - anyway it really made a difference in my workout and I"m glad I tried it.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #140 of 1,955
Alright, I've had these guys for about a week now, and these babies are bluetooth audio bliss for me. With their slightly meatier bass presence, very solid isolation, very solid separation for closed cans, and overall stellar clarity across the spectrum...these are without doubt a killer sounding set of headphones.

The earcups fit fully around both ears without issues, and isolate very very well.

The headband does apply some pressure to the top of the head which isn't the best, I wish the padding up top was a bit more forgiving.

The bluetooth connectivity has been the most solid of all the ones I've tested to date (B&W P5 Wireless, VModa Crossfade Wireless, M&D MW60). The AAC support paired with my Apple Music library goes together hand in hand. There is the slightest bit of latency perceptible while watching videos, but even for someone like me who LOATHES this, it is minor enough that it isn't a bother.

When two devices are connected at the same time, any competition to put sound out on the headphone essentially breaks the bluetooth connectivity. You'll end up not hearing either clearly and get tons of breakup. This can be an issue if you have your phone hooked up and are listening to music on your computer, for instance. The text sound will disrupt the stream from the computer and garble up the signal for a good 5 seconds before returning to function again. When devices are playing audio one at a time, all is well.

But the sound in these is just so great. The bass in them are just perfect to my ears. It presents all of the detail while giving you just enough of an "oomph" to let you feel it. It doesn't impede dramatically into the mids. It DOES impede slightly when the bass is going insane, but even in these instances it is fairly forgivable. The highs sound crisp and clear. A very clear cut example of a V-shaped sound signature, that I love dearly.

Battery life on them has been totally fine. I use them aggressively for 2 days and it makes it before I feel the need to recharge. I haven't had them die on me yet, but I do make sure I'm charging them almost daily.

The biggest cons I could really attribute to them is that they aren't very portable friendly (despite folding up, they still have a big footprint in your bag), the headband applies a little too much pressure to the head, and the dual device bluetooth connectivity has some wonks when there are competing sounds.

The biggest pros are the beautiful sound signature and detailing, the great isolation and the rock solid bluetooth connectivity.

Coming from a pair of custom in-ears (1964 Qi), I was worried I wouldn't get the intimacy and detail I'd been enjoying. I can safely say that the P7s hold their own in sound signature and quality, without the wires. In a fully quiet room, I dare say I prefer my P7s because of the better instrument separation and more full bodied bass impact.

Definitely a great choice, and my choice between all the bluetooth units I listed above for daily train commuting.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #141 of 1,955
Alright, I've had these guys for about a week now, and these babies are bluetooth audio bliss for me. With their slightly meatier bass presence, very solid isolation, very solid separation for closed cans, and overall stellar clarity across the spectrum...these are without doubt a killer sounding set of headphones.

The earcups fit fully around both ears without issues, and isolate very very well.

The headband does apply some pressure to the top of the head which isn't the best, I wish the padding up top was a bit more forgiving.

The bluetooth connectivity has been the most solid of all the ones I've tested to date (B&W P5 Wireless, VModa Crossfade Wireless, M&D MW60). The AAC support paired with my Apple Music library goes together hand in hand. There is the slightest bit of latency perceptible while watching videos, but even for someone like me who LOATHES this, it is minor enough that it isn't a bother.

When two devices are connected at the same time, any competition to put sound out on the headphone essentially breaks the bluetooth connectivity. You'll end up not hearing either clearly and get tons of breakup. This can be an issue if you have your phone hooked up and are listening to music on your computer, for instance. The text sound will disrupt the stream from the computer and garble up the signal for a good 5 seconds before returning to function again. When devices are playing audio one at a time, all is well.

But the sound in these is just so great. The bass in them are just perfect to my ears. It presents all of the detail while giving you just enough of an "oomph" to let you feel it. It doesn't impede dramatically into the mids. It DOES impede slightly when the bass is going insane, but even in these instances it is fairly forgivable. The highs sound crisp and clear. A very clear cut example of a V-shaped sound signature, that I love dearly.

Battery life on them has been totally fine. I use them aggressively for 2 days and it makes it before I feel the need to recharge. I haven't had them die on me yet, but I do make sure I'm charging them almost daily.

The biggest cons I could really attribute to them is that they aren't very portable friendly (despite folding up, they still have a big footprint in your bag), the headband applies a little too much pressure to the head, and the dual device bluetooth connectivity has some wonks when there are competing sounds.

The biggest pros are the beautiful sound signature and detailing, the great isolation and the rock solid bluetooth connectivity.

Coming from a pair of custom in-ears (1964 Qi), I was worried I wouldn't get the intimacy and detail I'd been enjoying. I can safely say that the P7s hold their own in sound signature and quality, without the wires. In a fully quiet room, I dare say I prefer my P7s because of the better instrument separation and more full bodied bass impact.

Definitely a great choice, and my choice between all the bluetooth units I listed above for daily train commuting.

I agree with everything said. My biggest gripe is with the headband hurting the top of my head after a while. Way better sounding than P5 wireless and the bluetooth implementation is the best I've found.

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #142 of 1,955
  I agree with everything said. My biggest gripe is with the headband hurting the top of my head after a while. Way better sounding than P5 wireless and the bluetooth implementation is the best I've found.

Let me be the second person to agree with the great review above by RubxQub.

I've only been using the wireless P7's for 24 hours, but I am completely blown away by how amazing they sound out of the box.

I have graduated from a pair of P3's, which I loved, to the wireless P5's which I wasn't impressed with (lack of warm sound and bluetooth drop-out like many others experienced ) to the P7's now which, well, make the P3's seem like VHS and the P7's are blu-ray!

Listening to Dark Side of the Moon last night, I heard sounds that had not previously revealed themselves on any headphones I've ever used. It was a true listening pleasure.

I agree that the one negative is that the headband does apply a noticeable weight to your head, but even after a couple of hours, I wouldn't say it hurt, just a bit annoying.  Hopefully this will soften/loosen with time.

I now understand why we are only seeing outstanding reviews of the P7's in the media. It is not hype. These are amazing headphones, let alone being wireless.

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #143 of 1,955

Yeah, I have the same problem and I've determined I can prevent that with a lot of small changes - one of my ears is higher than the other and I have to get the adjustment juuuussst right and then I can listen for many hours without a problem ... but if I"m casual in how I adjust them, I get the head problem too.  I wonder how tough it'd be for them to replace that foam?

In any event, it's a small thing for me given they sound so great - a real game changer, so I'm will to deal with a few trade offs.

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #144 of 1,955
I initially had the headband issue but got a resolution.

The actual centre of the headband is the most plush/softest and it becomes less thick away from the centre and that can be straining if in contact. Also because the standard out of box shape is quite narrow this makes it more likely the harder surface is in contact with the head rather than the actual centre.

The solution for me is to adjust the headband so that weight distribution is shifted more towards the centre. I found this possible by bending out the headphones from the headband. Important not to pull them out from the ear cups as that may not be so effective in changing the headband shape, but by pulling out from the headband itself. This method has been used on many other Headphones. It also works well on new Senn HD600/650's from where it is commonly adopted.

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #145 of 1,955
Finally got this in today :) A few initial notes.
The cups are smaller than I anticipated. The pad's contact area is smaller than I thought as well so I am not sure how comfortable it will be for long sessions but I will have to wait and see. I am just used to larger cups and pads from my wired phones. Clamping force is pretty hard! Hope it will loosen up as it gets worn more.
I read some people mention sibilance I don't detect that at all. Not that it's lacking but if anything I would prefer a bit more sparkle up top but again that could happen with more burn-in?
I have paired with my phone (Note 4) and connection is smooth without issues. Volume goes up pretty high but not to a point where it gets crazy loud.
When I connected it to my computer at work (Mac Pro aka the nuke) I initially got random gaps while playing but after a couple of songs nothing so far. Volume is also much louder on the Mac.
The sound quality is very good but I will have to compared to my wired favorites to see how they compare.
All in all, it's nice to be not tangled by wires!

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #146 of 1,955
I need some help. I am a Bowers & Wilkins fan. I have several pair of B&W's including wired P7 and P5 series2. I recently bought the p7 Wireless to use with the Iphone 7. I am having a slight problem with the fit. The top of my right ear slightly rubs against the inside of the ear cup causing a little discomfort. Is anyone else experiencing this? Should that be a deal breaker in my decision to keep them? Does anyone have a remedy for this? I love the sound but wish they were a little more comfortable. I am trying to keep them, but at $400 should you have to put up with a bit of discomfort. If I don't keep them does anyone have any suggestions for another wireless pair?

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #147 of 1,955
I need some help. I am a Bowers & Wilkins fan. I have several pair of B&W's including wired P7 and P5 series2. I recently bought the p7 Wireless to use with the Iphone 7. I am having a slight problem with the fit. The top of my right ear slightly rubs against the inside of the ear cup causing a little discomfort. Is anyone else experiencing this? Should that be a deal breaker in my decision to keep them? Does anyone have a remedy for this? I love the sound but wish they were a little more comfortable. I am trying to keep them, but at $400 should you have to put up with a bit of discomfort. If I don't keep them does anyone have any suggestions for another wireless pair?

The smart-arse answer is to trim off the top of your ear :)  I'm assuming you've tried adjusting the cups all the way up so they sit as high as possible on your ears?  Barring that, it may be that your ear size falls outside of the designed spec range.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #148 of 1,955
I've had the new p7 wireless for a few days now and at the start also found my ears to touch the outside of the mesh slightly, where if I reposition the ear cup, I have found this can be avoided. It may depend on the size of your ear, the older wired p7 had a lot more room, and firmer memory foam so this wasn't an issue.
I do prefer the sound of the new wireless version, it's been greatly improved in some areas.

Also if you extend the headband that the clamping pressure is nearly holding the headphone in place, I found this avoids the head band pressing against your head, and makes the p7 more comfy. I can have them on for hours, with no problems.

These p7 wireless have real soul, the tuning can melt you with the right music playing. They have opened up with an overnight of full volume.
Very very happy I bought these.

I have used the EQ Poweramp Alpha to make these sound brilliant. Cut the 2k by a few db and extend 500hz by fraction and these are spot on.

Also the zx2 in Bluetooth mode with the P7 and power amp alpha as the player is working surprisingly well.

The Bluetooth connection and range is great with the Sony zx2, covers about 10 metre radius with a solid connection, it's pity there's no LDAP codec. Can not have it all I guess.

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #149 of 1,955
Picked up a pair of these yesterday and extremely glad I did. So superior to the original wired P7s I owned, I'm quite taken aback by the difference. It's also my first pair of wireless full-size, I'm a creature of habit - can't believe I didn't cut the cord sooner, it's incredibly liberating being unencumbered,  particularly when the wireless sound quality on these is so exceptional.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #150 of 1,955
I've had the new p7 wireless for a few days now and at the start also found my ears to touch the outside of the mesh slightly, where if I reposition the ear cup, I have found this can be avoided. It may depend on the size of your ear, the older wired p7 had a lot more room, and firmer memory foam so this wasn't an issue.
I do prefer the sound of the new wireless version, it's been greatly improved in some areas.

Also if you extend the headband that the clamping pressure is nearly holding the headphone in place, I found this avoids the head band pressing against your head, and makes the p7 more comfy. I can have them on for hours, with no problems.

These p7 wireless have real soul, the tuning can melt you with the right music playing. They have opened up with an overnight of full volume.
Very very happy I bought these.

I have used the EQ Poweramp Alpha to make these sound brilliant. Cut the 2k by a few db and extend 500hz by fraction and these are spot on.

Also the zx2 in Bluetooth mode with the P7 and power amp alpha as the player is working surprisingly well.

The Bluetooth connection and range is great with the Sony zx2, covers about 10 metre radius with a solid connection, it's pity there's no LDAP codec. Can not have it all I guess.

Does the ZX2 do Apt-x?
Both my ZX100 & NWZ-A15 do Apt-x, as does my Xperia Z5, and it definitely sounds better through my P7w's than AAC from my iPod 5G.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back