Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #1,276 of 1,955
Exactly

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #1,277 of 1,955
Well.... I finished my night shift, immediately grabbed the mojo and the p7W. Plugged in, hit play...

Ed sheeran sounds ridiculous at how amazing he sounds. I mean, these HP's just made me realise what these products do for eachother.

Literally, the realism and articulation that comes out of these headphones is nuts.

This sucks, Im just not going to enjoy my other gear after experiencing this. I've listened to various music I wouldnt listen to just to experience the sonics!

Awesome purchase!!!

Yeah.

I gave them to a friend to try out yesterday. This friend is of the firm belief that you don't need any other headphones than what come in the box.

He put them on his head, wearing the kind of self satisfied grin that said "You're a sucker for spending money on these", and I pressed play.

One second is all it took to wipe that arrogant grin of his face, for his eyes to widen, and his mouth to drop, while silently mouthing W... T... F....

After he'd had about 5 minutes with them, he gave them back to me and in a rather timid voice ask how much they cost, and where did I get them from.

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,279 of 1,955
Been doing some A/B testing guys. The P7W plugged into mojo streaming Tidal 320kb vs my vmoda CFW v1 plugged to mojo (really awesome convenience dual 3.5mm).

All songs listened with CFW first then replay through P7W.

Basically, the CFW really does sound good, I've thoroughly enjoyed them. To the average headphone user of cheaper models, the Vmoda will sound awesome to most I personally think, especially the younger crowds.

The P7W will blow the mind... it's that good for me, personally. The p7w adds an emotion to voices which really makes them sound like a perfect live performance over the cfw. The whole music opens up so to say, piano and guitar strings sound so razor sharp and sweet.

The only thing im gutted about with the p7w is the fact I can't use my vmoda boom pro mic for gaming on the ps4. The cfw are also my gaming headphones, they are an awesome all round workhorse for my needs and music.

Do B&W do a cable that will give me mic access for the gaming needs??

The rich, weighty, clarity sound of these hp's is so musical and addictive!

I find them extremely comfortable too. Zero clamp pressure issues and I wore them for 6+hours yesterday and 2 hours today so far without taking them off. Apart from A/B'ing.

If I lost these etc I would go and buy these the very same day without looking into other hp's. If I didn't have the cash I would borrow if it needs be, these have blow my mind haha

Sorry for long post, just thought there may be others who are on the fence and may also enjoy the cfw or are consideribg them or the p7w.

I paid £250 for the cfw and have zero regret, love them, but for the extra £70 for the p7w, you really owe it to yourself to hear this kind of quality

May 1, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #1,281 of 1,955
I have a problem. I have used my P7 wireless since I December and recently I have been hearing lots of creaking on the headphones. Not sure how I can fix it. Minimal movement seems to trigger the creaking noises. Any suggestions?

May 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,282 of 1,955
IMG_0035.JPG
so can we still say the p7w is the best sounding bluetooth headphone out there, with great bass and full mids and no harshness or is there something else that is worth looking at

i adore p7w if only they designed the pads differently it would be perfect, i tried other pads, in the beginning I thought it was good to change pads but then today after long A/B I felt I lost the magical sound of p7w compared to stock pads, I tried 3 different pads that I just slid over the p7w with no modding it was good but not as good as p7w, yes sound stage got a bit bigger with the brainwave pads but I found it god a bit more sibilant and bass lessened, so i am back to stock pads. Yes I eq the p7w with brainwave pads like I like it to sound, but still i prefer the sound form the stock pads

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,283 of 1,955
Well apparently the audio technica DSR9BT is meant to sound even better from an impression I read but not sure where now, but your talking £500 a pair.

For me personally, I think sound is so subjective and I genuinely can't imagine a better sounding headphone for my tastes. Im convinced I would have to spend serious bucks to hear a cash layout improvement in SQ.

Im your average guy that loves good sounding music, I love bass, clarity and a sense of realism in vocals, for me, the p7w are just awesome, awesome sounding headphones.

Plug into mojo and the sq is refined and taken up a notch again on already fantastic sound

Just my thoughts

May 1, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #1,284 of 1,955
Well apparently the audio technica DSR9BT is meant to sound even better from an impression I read but not sure where now, but your talking £500 a pair.

For me personally, I think sound is so subjective and I genuinely can't imagine a better sounding headphone for my tastes. Im convinced I would have to spend serious bucks to hear a cash layout improvement in SQ.

Im your average guy that loves good sounding music, I love bass, clarity and a sense of realism in vocals, for me, the p7w are just awesome, awesome sounding headphones.

Plug into mojo and the sq is refined and taken up a notch again on already fantastic sound

Just my thoughts

i had a bad experience with audio technica where everyone was praising the m50x or whatever it was called, and I hated it with all my heart as it sounded so metallic and sharp and since that day I never looked at audio technica again, but maybe things changed, I know m50 is not their flagship but when I read so many praises in real life to me it was awful

Maybe now this is wishful thinking but I wish for a planar bt headphone, as to me all the dynamic headphones I listened non compare to the full layered sound you get from a planar like lcd 2 or oppo pm1, once you hear those full lush warm mids that are simply spot on and go and try a dynamic headphone you will immediately notice the hit in the mids. Yes bass on dynamics has been achieved wonderfully but to me my biggest grips with dynamics is the mids and many also share a harsh metallic sound signature which I despise. Yes I did not hear the new sony flagship which is a dynamic nor did i hear the eikon or atticus so those might leave me wondering how good there mids are compared to mids on lcd2 or oppo pm1. In 2016 I went to Dubai to audio stores where I had access to listen to all high end dynamic and planar headphones, non of the dynamic headphones I tried left a good impression from sony, beyer, audioquest, fostex th900, audio technica, all could not compete at all with planar headphones especially in the mids and highs and layering

Anyhow from what i read in the DSR9BT I am not encouraged as they compare it to m50 which I hate with all my heart for its metallic sound

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #1,285 of 1,955
Informative reply, cheers! I don't have any experience with planar headphones.... yet! No doubt I will get around to trying a pair though.

I wonder why a company hasn't produced a BT one yet? Maybe they are difficult to achieve the desired power over battery to drive them to their potential?

On my way to work sat in the back of the van, listening to jimi hendrix through my vmoda crossfade wireless and whilst the sound is good.... the pw7 have totally ruined my listening experience lol.

May 2, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,286 of 1,955
The only planar headphone I've heard was a Oppo PM3 which I bought because of the hype on this forum and elsewhere. Sent it back the next day, Of course it doesn't mean I wouldn't like other planar HPs, but most are priced where I wouldn't consider them. My M50s don't sound metallic at all currently using it with my Deconi pads, as a matter of fact it's because I'm so happy with that headphone using my BT dongle that kept me at bay not buying the P7w which is over 3 times the price of that duo. No doubt the B&W looks and built better and has much longer battery life, but SQ will remains to be heard/judged by me.:smile_phones:
20170330_002454_HDR.jpg

May 2, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,287 of 1,955
The only planar headphone I've heard was a Oppo PM3 which I bought because of the hype on this forum and elsewhere. Sent it back the next day, Of course it doesn't mean I wouldn't like other planar HPs, but most are priced where I wouldn't consider them. My M50s don't sound metallic at all currently using it with my Deconi pads, as a matter of fact it's because I'm so happy with that headphone using my BT dongle that kept me at bay not buying the P7w which is over 3 times the price of that duo. No doubt the B&W looks and built better and has much longer battery life, but SQ will remains to be heard/judged by me.:smile_phones:

if m50 is not metallic sounding then I do not know what is, I respect your impression, as for oppo pm3 that one is not even comparable to opp pm1 or pm2 as I auditioned it and its a failure by all means

May 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,288 of 1,955
Hi All

Although I have followed Head-Fi for a fair while, I have only just registered and this is my first posting. To celebrate, I’m posting on two threads – “Astell & Kern AK380” and “Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless – Impressions Thread” – for the obvious reason that the post is relevant to both.

I have enjoyed the AK380 for almost a year, listening through IEMs. I have now taken delivery of the B&W P7 Wireless. Subject to one issue, I’m delighted with it: brilliant wired with the AK380 and wireless with both my iMac (I play files through Fidelia) and my iPhone 6S. Bluetooth connection with the iMac and iPhone was effortless in each case.

The issue is that I have failed miserably to make the Bluetooth connection with the AK380 and I would be very grateful for help or advice. I have repeatedly followed the instructions (which worked perfectly with the iMac and iPhone), but when I put the P7 in pair mode (with the LED double flashing blue) and the AK380 “Visible to all nearby Bluetooth devices”, the P7 stubbornly refuses to appear.

I did immediately consult B&W, who have been commendably responsive and are trying to help in a very professional way, but so far without success. I told them that the AK380 Manual gives its Bluetooth spec as "V4.0 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX)" and that I had had no problem using it as a Bluetooth transmitter to my Ruark R1 radio (when I’m at home and don’t feel like using phones, I play all types of files on the AK380 – FLAC, WAV & DSD - quite happily through the Ruark).

In reply, B&W say:

Our P7 wireless are compatible with the following Bluetooth profiles and codecs;

Bluetooth Profiles:
AVRCP v1.4
A2DP v1.2
DIP
HFP v1.6
HSP v1.2
GAP
SDAP

Bluetooth Codecs:
aptX (standard latency)
AAC
SBC

They have then commented:

It does seem strange that the P7's are not pairing with this particular device. I will pass the information on to our technicians to see if they can offer further advice on this occasion.

I’m now waiting for that further advice (and I suggested they might like to liaise with their opposite numbers at A&K, though whether that will be fruitful remains to be seen).

However, I thought that the massed expertise of Head-Fi might come to the rescue! Please bear in mind that I’m not technically minded, so any guidance should ideally be expressed in “Bluetooth for Dummies” language!

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.

May 11, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,290 of 1,955
Despite your issues, doesn't it make sense to use the AK380 wired due to better sound quality? Else you won't make use of that DAC inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back