Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Dec 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #781 of 1,506
Got an email to come pick them up at Best Buy this morning! 

Then I went to Best Buy and the status changed to "no pick" and they can't find them. Their best option was to completely cancel my order and order a new pair. 
triportsad.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #782 of 1,506
  Got an email to come pick them up at Best Buy this morning! 

Then I went to Best Buy and the status changed to "no pick" and they can't find them. Their best option was to completely cancel my order and order a new pair. 
triportsad.gif

Well that's crap. They should be offering you a discount for the hassle and their mistake (purely in my own opinion, of course).

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #783 of 1,506
I read this whole thread and I found it interesting to see both the positive and the negative critiques by other members regarding this phone... Whether a particular aspect of the P7's sound quality was actually up to expectations or was in some way less than ideal for certain criteria or for that matter if the fit and or comfort of the phone could have been executed in a better way. At times some of the comments in this thread and in other on-line reviews made me somewhat hesitant about this phone.

However since a brief trial/listening experience with the P7 at Best Buy didn't bring forth any glaring red flags... I decided to go ahead and purchase them. I've had them now a couple of days and I've been enjoying them. I'm not regretting my decision... I like this phone.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #784 of 1,506

I am excited to get a pair of these as well. I constantly went back-and-forth for about a week trying to decide between these and the PSB M4U 1s. At the end of the day, while I have heard that the PSBs sound incredibly, it was the overall package of the P7s that sold me. When you combine looks, sound quality, build quality, specs and portability, the P7 was the definite OVERALL winner for me. There may be other headphones that are slightly better in a category or two, but once I factored everything in together, I was willing to pay the extra $100.00 for a pair of headphones that will sound incredible, look nice and last a long time as well.

I'm not sure about the PSB (haven't held them), but in terms of build quality, I felt the HP50s, despite being plastic, had very few weak points.  Yes, the P7 uses much better materials, but the arms right at the hinges seem to be a weak point of the build and a little less solid than I'd like them to be.  They seem to have a "wobble" to them which is kind of concerning.  Not sure if this "wobble" is intentional (it does allow the housings to move and "swivel"), but takes away from the overall solid feel of the P7, build wise.  The other nit-picky thing is that the headphone jack is straight (angled/L-shaped would be preferred).  

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #785 of 1,506
 Yes, the P7 uses much better materials, but the arms right at the hinges seem to be a weak point of the build and a little less solid than I'd like them to be.  They seem to have a "wobble" to them which is kind of concerning.  Not sure if this "wobble" is intentional (it does allow the housings to move and "swivel"), but takes away from the overall solid feel of the P7, build wise.  The other nit-picky thing is that the headphone jack is straight (angled/L-shaped would be preferred).  

I had to take a look with regards to that wobble you were describing... I see what you are referring to now. For me I'm not too concerned as when I put them on and wear them they seem quite secure/stable.

As far as nit-picks... I kind of wish there would be a little more standardization by the manufacturers with their detachable cables. It would be nice to have a custom cable made these... Perhaps even one that I could also use with some of my other headphones but that unique internal curved 2.5mm connector?? I wish it had a standard 3.5mm female connector down at the bottom of the left cup.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #786 of 1,506

I'm not sure about the PSB (haven't held them), but in terms of build quality, I felt the HP50s, despite being plastic, had very few weak points.  Yes, the P7 uses much better materials, but the arms right at the hinges seem to be a weak point of the build and a little less solid than I'd like them to be.  They seem to have a "wobble" to them which is kind of concerning.  Not sure if this "wobble" is intentional (it does allow the housings to move and "swivel"), but takes away from the overall solid feel of the P7, build wise.  The other nit-picky thing is that the headphone jack is straight (angled/L-shaped would be preferred).  

Yeah I understand. That is why I was saying that my view is based on all of the factors put together and averaged out (so to speak). While I know the HP50s are very similar to the M4U 1s, I do not at all care for the look of the HP50s, so that downgrades them fairly severely in my book. I realize that the P7s are not going to be perfect (really no headphone is) but based on all of the criteria that I was looking for they won out over everything else in the $300-$400 price range.

Just curious, though, sound quality wise how do you like the HP50s vs the P7s?

Quote:
I had to take a look with regards to that wobble you were describing... I see what you are referring to now. For me I'm not too concerned as when I put them on and wear them they seem quite secure/stable.

As far as nit-picks... I kind of wish there would be a little more standardization by the manufacturers with their detachable cables. It would be nice to have a custom cable made these... Perhaps even one that I could also use with some of my other headphones but that unique internal curved 2.5mm connector?? I wish it had a standard 3.5mm female connector down at the bottom of the left cup.

Agree 100% here. The whole cable jack issue was one of the things that knocked the P7 down a few points for me as well. I was looking for the exact same setup (a standard 3.5mm female connector down at the bottom of the left cup) as you are, but ultimately it is one of the small sacrifices that I will have to make with these headphones. Not being able to fold them up and store them in a sturdier & more compact hard case was my other biggest issue. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #789 of 1,506
I've tried to go to various Apple stores or Best buy in NYC to audition these. All I see are Beats and Bose and just a few Sennhesier or the B&W P5... :frowning2:  

I would love to compare these to the Viso HP50.

You will have better luck finding the B&W P7s at the Best BUY stores that have Magnolia shops in them. BestBUY's Web site can provide guidance as to which stores have the Magnolia shops in them, and if they have stock of P7s.

Also, many Apple stores may have them.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #790 of 1,506
  I've tried to go to various Apple stores or Best buy in NYC to audition these. All I see are Beats and Bose and just a few Sennhesier or the B&W P5... 
frown.gif

I would love to compare these to the Viso HP50.

I saw them at the apple store in Grand central station couple of days ago. they should still have them. also apple online store says they have them in stock for pick up.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #791 of 1,506
I saw them at the apple store in Grand central station couple of days ago. they should still have them. also apple online store says they have them in stock for pick up.

Good. Did they have them on display with continuous music so you can listen to them there? I have seen pictures of that Apple store; but, I have never been there.
Apple has a 14 day return policy for most purchases.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #792 of 1,506
Good. Did they have them on display with continuous music so you can listen to them there? I have seen pictures of that Apple store; but, I have never been there.
Apple has a 14 day return policy for most purchases.

They have them with their ipod I don't think you can listen to your own device but yes you can listen to it.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #793 of 1,506
They have them with their ipod I don't think you can listen to your own device but yes you can listen to it.

That is the setup I have seen at Apple stores that I have been to. You cannot connect your device to it. You cannot at Best BUY either at their B&W demo.

One advantage of buying it at Best BUY is that they have a Rewards program for 5% back in spending at Best BUY, received after meeting a spending threshold. Their return policies can range from 15-45 days, depending on if you are a rewards member or have one of the more elite levels of that membership.

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #794 of 1,506
Finally decided to splurge on the P7 after several days of comparison between the Momentums and P7... I think even the store staff could recognize me after a while :D

I have to agree that the "wobble" in the folding hinges does worry me a bit, especially when you hold the headphones flat horizontally and the earcups sag under their own weight (which isn't light by any measure). Not sure how much stress those hinges can take, although build quality seems good overall.

Sound quality wise, I'm loving the P7 for the wide staging and tight bass. I also like the fact that the mids and vocals are very natural and smooth. I haven't had any issues with harshness or bright treble.

P.S. I'm new to this forum, always have been a big music fan and my decision to invest in a good set of cans started after stumbling onto this forum :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back