Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Dec 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #752 of 1,506
Quick note: The treble spikes I've mentioned (ad nauseum) seem to be decreasing. How odd...
They are less intrusive and now are starting to sound like they are simply results of the fact that these cans push the upper range with a bit more force than others.
This is making my decision between these and the HP50s even more difficult.
It would be decadent to keep them both.
BTW, I just posted a crude MOD over on the NAD VISO HP50 thread, for those who may have the same fit problem I was having (due to the shallow ear pads).

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #753 of 1,506
  Quick note: The treble spikes I've mentioned (ad nauseum) seem to be decreasing. How odd...
They are less intrusive and now are starting to sound like they are simply results of the fact that these cans push the upper range with a bit more force than others.
This is making my decision between these and the HP50s even more difficult.
It would be decadent to keep them both.
BTW, I just posted a crude MOD over on the NAD VISO HP50 thread, for those who may have the same fit problem I was having (due to the shallow ear pads).

Although I think I am fairly sold on the P7s I'd be interested to hear what your final decision is and why. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #754 of 1,506
I just got my P7 on Tuesday from Best Buy. I am an AMEX card member, and they're running an offer where if you spend $250 or more at Best Buy before 12/31, either online or in store, you get a $25 credit back to your account. This offer will be listed under "Offers For You" when you log into your account. So it basically nullifies the sales tax that they charge. I was able to get mine with an in store pickup for $403 after my credit back. And they were really fast with the credit, it has already appeared on my account as of today :)

Hope this helps everyone on the fence who happen to have AMEX! These are the best pair of headphones I've owned thus far, and I hope to spend many years with them.

PS: For those worried about the case, its beautiful and protective, with a magnetic enclosure. Real stitched leather that smells like the insides of a Bentley! Totally befitting the high class of the P7.

Cheers

Thanks for the AMEX credit tip! I used this along with an old Best Buy gift card that needed to be cashed out. I listened to them briefly at the Magnolia room and thought they sounded pretty good... (to me at least under less than ideal conditions). I'm going to look forward to getting them burned in and evaluated at my leisure now that I've brought them home.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #756 of 1,506
Yet in terms of sheer performance points, the P7s don't take the whole cake. High middle notes can be tough to hear at times, while uppermost notes register a bit too loudly. For instance, certain high notes on instruments including the tympani, the French horn and various strings are just a bit quieter than they ought to be; additionally, the highest registers on snare drums, vocals, trumpets and woodwinds can sound so loud as to sound abrasive. Lastly, highly experienced listeners may notice just a bit of distortion in the bass range, but most people won't pick up on it. These aren't fatal flaws, but they're worth considering when you reach into your pocket for 400 hard-earned bills. Source: USA Today

To those who own the P7, is this even close to accurate? All reviews on headphones are subjective, of course, but this review is the antithesis of everything I've read thus far about them. In any event, mine should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. I'm exceptionally stoked!

Also, hello all! I discovered this forum last week while heavily researching my first high quality headphones so I am new here; this is my first post! Cheers. :)

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #757 of 1,506
To those who own the P7, is this even close to accurate? All reviews on headphones are subjective, of course, but this review is the antithesis of everything I've read thus far about them. In any event, mine should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. I'm exceptionally stoked!

Also, hello all! I discovered this forum last week while heavily researching my first high quality headphones so I am new here; this is my first post! Cheers. :)

Welcome.

I suggest you read the fine review to be found in this thread: Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Momentum, MDR-1R, QC15, DT1350, UE9000, Beats Studio (2013) & Executive, KEF M500, and Skullcandy Aviators

( Search for the thread in the search box: comparisons: B&W P7 )

Do note that after 25-30 hours of use or burn-in, these headphones sound better than when fresh out of the box.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #758 of 1,506
Welcome.

I suggest you read the fine review to be found in this thread: Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Comparisons: B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Momentum, MDR-1R, QC15, DT1350, UE9000, Beats Studio (2013) & Executive, KEF M500, and Skullcandy Aviators

( Search for the thread in the search box: comparisons: B&W P7 )

Do note that after 25-30 hours of use or burn-in, these headphones sound better than when fresh out of the box.

I completely forgot to quote the article I was posting about! See my edited post above. And thanks for the info!

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #759 of 1,506
I have been trying out portable headphones and the B&W P7 is a great iDevice iHeadphone!
Would it sound as good as some of the high end headphones such as the $1,000+ Audezes?
I doubt it but it does sound very good.

You will notice the real leather smell as you unbox the P7.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P7/explore.html

Enjoy your P7s!

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #760 of 1,506
I completely forgot to quote the article I was posting about! See my edited post above. And thanks for the info!

By the way, you can receive from B&W some free HiFi music downloads.
You receive a free three month Society of Sound membership subscription after you register your P7.

See http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Society_of_Sound/Society_of_Sound/Music/Subscribe.html

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #761 of 1,506
You will notice the real leather smell as you unbox the P7.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P7/explore.html

Enjoy your P7s!

I really like the way the P7's smell...They are tops in the scent category compared to all my other phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #762 of 1,506
  Yet in terms of sheer performance points, the P7s don't take the whole cake. High middle notes can be tough to hear at times, while uppermost notes register a bit too loudly. For instance, certain high notes on instruments including the tympani, the French horn and various strings are just a bit quieter than they ought to be; additionally, the highest registers on snare drums, vocals, trumpets and woodwinds can sound so loud as to sound abrasive. Lastly, highly experienced listeners may notice just a bit of distortion in the bass range, but most people won't pick up on it. These aren't fatal flaws, but they're worth considering when you reach into your pocket for 400 hard-earned bills. Source: USA Today

If you are looking for a flat neutral 'phone, the P7 definitely wouldn't be for you...  Just a word of warning.  Do let them break in and use them while they break in as well as the seal will change as you use them and the seal determines the sound overall.  

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #764 of 1,506

If you are looking for a flat neutral 'phone, the P7 definitely wouldn't be for you...  Just a word of warning.  Do let them break in and use them while they break in as well as the seal will change as you use them and the seal determines the sound overall.  

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I don't know what it is that I'm looking for. I've never bought or even shopped for a pair of headphones before. I listen to almost any kind of music you can imagine (with the exception of country (sorry)), but one of the most prominent genres is electronic/bass heavy music. I understand that the P7s do not have emphasis on bass; most high-end headphones don't from what it seems. That said, I'm trying to condition myself to realize that there's much more to music than just bass. I wanted to purchase the P7s for many reasons, but I have not tried them as they didn't have them at my local Best Buy. Firstly, I love the look and materials used. I can't stand seeing headphones priced at three and four hundred dollars with plastic all over. Also, I like their uniqueness and I doubt I'll see many people wearing them. I think I'm "transitioning" into a novice audiophile, albeit not knowing much about audio tech or the terminology. I just love sound, period. Unless I'm studying there is always music playing at my house. I have a TDK 3 boombox and fell in love with it's clarity; it was the first "high end" speaker I owned. I love how it's built with high quality materials and it looks amazing. The same goes for the P7 and I'm hoping I love it even more than my TDK. 

All that random info stated, I really don't know what it is I'm looking for. I just want a premium product with great sound in this price range. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of audio terminology and especially how to identify parts of the sound of the device (like what I'm reading in headphone reviews) and I imagine it will all come in time. I can definitely tell when I'm listening to a < 256kbps file but I don't feel the need to carry around FLAC files.

I'm know this post is all over the place but I'm concentrating on a few different things right now so I'm just rambling without paying much attention.
tongue.gif
 Cheers! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back