Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Dec 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #736 of 1,506
  As I mentioned before, I now have both the P7 and the HP50. What surprises me is how my experience (so far) deviates from Tyll's observations.

He left the P7 off the "wall of fame" due to:
• The "bass hump" (I noticed it on some tracks but see below...)
• The comfort (I didn't have much of a problem with the comfort; somewhat subjective)
• The cost (relative; the construction seems worth it, compared to other sets)

The HP50 did make it to "the wall".
• Surprisingly, I found the bass on the HP50 to be more problematic than the P7. It seems even broader and more intrusive, especially on some tracks.
• The comfort is pretty good, due to the lightness of the 'phones, but it fits a bit more like an on-ear, since it doesn't totally encapsulate my ears.
• Yea, it's a C-note cheaper. No "Emma Peel" leather and chrome, but the materials make it lighter.

My main problem with the P7 (as I've mentioned several times) is a curious "spike" in the upper mid / lower treble area.
It only shows up on some material but it's unpleasant. It's like an occasional note jumps out of the mix, with a piercing jolt.
I haven't seen others mention this, so maybe it's just me?!
I can detect the emphasized notes on other cans (using the same source and material) but they don't "jump out" like they do on the P7.

Some EQ can make these two excellent headphones sound more alike.
I'm still trying to decide between the two, although I'm (somewhat reluctantly) leaning towards the HP50s...
Somehow their upper end retains some sparkle without the intermittent spiking...and I can always attenuate the bass if needed.

I think Tyll said something about that spike (upper mid/lower treble) in his review.  I wasn't able to hear it while I was reviewing them.  Will continue trying to hear it though.  

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #740 of 1,506
I think best price right now is an authorized dealer that doesn't charge tax or shipping, so you can get it for $400 flat. If you don't care about authorized, then check out resellers on ebay.

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #741 of 1,506
  I think best price right now is an authorized dealer that doesn't charge tax or shipping, so you can get it for $400 flat. If you don't care about authorized, then check out resellers on ebay.

If I do decide to take the P7 plunge I think I will probably go with an authorize dealer. I don't know how often headphones become defective (I know that it is usually the cord that goes first) but at least if something goes wrong I can send them in for repair because I bought them from an authorized dealer. With something this expensive I just don't know if I want to risk not buying from an authorized dealer. It is tempting though...

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #742 of 1,506
I just got my P7 on Tuesday from Best Buy. I am an AMEX card member, and they're running an offer where if you spend $250 or more at Best Buy before 12/31, either online or in store, you get a $25 credit back to your account. This offer will be listed under "Offers For You" when you log into your account. So it basically nullifies the sales tax that they charge. I was able to get mine with an in store pickup for $403 after my credit back. And they were really fast with the credit, it has already appeared on my account as of today :)

Hope this helps everyone on the fence who happen to have AMEX! These are the best pair of headphones I've owned thus far, and I hope to spend many years with them.

PS: For those worried about the case, its beautiful and protective, with a magnetic enclosure. Real stitched leather that smells like the insides of a Bentley! Totally befitting the high class of the P7.

Cheers

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #743 of 1,506
  ...PS: For those worried about the case, its beautiful and protective, with a magnetic enclosure. Real stitched leather that smells like the insides of a Bentley! Totally befitting the high class of the P7.

Cheers

Do you feel that the case is protective enough to keep the headphones reasonably safe during travel? I really would prefer a rugged hard case, but that may not be an option with these headphones.

Also, are the headphones and case fairly small or kinda bulky to carry around?

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #744 of 1,506

Do you feel that the case is protective enough to keep the headphones reasonably safe during travel? I really would prefer a rugged hard case, but that may not be an option with these headphones.

Thanks!

It's sufficient for throwing around, not so much for accidentally stepping on. I've actually done that before, but luckily the headphones were inside a a hard case so there was no problem. Well I stepped on it from the side and not dead center, so it slipped away. I don't know how much protection even a hard case could protect from a dead center step. It's about two thirds the size of a football. You could pack it into a bag, but I wouldn't overstuff the bag.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #745 of 1,506

Thanks!

It's a not-so-inconspicuous magnetic purse. It fits the aesthetic--but if you were to drop it with the headphones in, it would survive simply because it's built well. The purse is lovely however.

Though I don't think it's real leather, that would've been touted on the manufacturer website, it would also be unusual at 400 dollars, I think.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #746 of 1,506

Thanks!

The case will protect against scratches or friction type damage, but it does not provide any structural support so any kind of crushing force could be detrimental.  

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #747 of 1,506

Thanks!

I definitely feel comfortable tossing this case in a suitcase or laptop bag without worrying about any damage. While they're not entirely hard, the semicircular case has a soft lining inside and a supportive back, top, and front. The bottom and sides are soft and cloth-like. They're comfortable to carry and it's about 3 inches thick, 8 inches wide, and 5.25 inches tall. I really can't complain, personally, its a thing of beauty. You can see a picture of it in the gallery of the apple store online listing.

Cheers!

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #748 of 1,506
It's a not-so-inconspicuous magnetic purse. It fits the aesthetic--but if you were to drop it with the headphones in, it would survive simply because it's built well. The purse is lovely however.

Though I don't think it's real leather, that would've been touted on the manufacturer website, it would also be unusual at 400 dollars, I think.

While its not the same kind of soft sheepskin leather like the earpads and headband, the case definitely looks and feels like leather to me. PCMag, Headphonia, and About.com also mention this in their reviews, although Tyll at InnerFidelity thinks its artificial leather. I certain think its leather.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #749 of 1,506

I definitely feel comfortable tossing this case in a suitcase or laptop bag without worrying about any damage. While they're not entirely hard, the semicircular case has a soft lining inside and a supportive back, top, and front. The bottom and sides are soft and cloth-like. They're comfortable to carry and it's about 3 inches thick, 8 inches wide, and 5.25 inches tall. I really can't complain, personally, its a thing of beauty. You can see a picture of it in the gallery of the apple store online listing.

Cheers!

The case will protect against scratches or friction type damage, but it does not provide any structural support so any kind of crushing force could be detrimental.  

Thanks for all of the responses guys. This makes me feel more comfortable with the case if I do decide to spring for these.

It's sufficient for throwing around, not so much for accidentally stepping on. I've actually done that before, but luckily the headphones were inside a a hard case so there was no problem. Well I stepped on it from the side and not dead center, so it slipped away. I don't know how much protection even a hard case could protect from a dead center step. It's about two thirds the size of a football. You could pack it into a bag, but I wouldn't overstuff the bag.

Quick question. Which hard case were you using for your P7s or were you referring to a different set of headphones that you accidentally stepped on?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back